“Good but not great”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This restaurant is very conveniently located for the G Live theatre venue being literally just across the road. The menu features the usual Thai classics plus a lot of Thai interpretations of Chinese food. Service is fast and friendly and the food is very tasty but personally we would have liked to see far more Thai food and less of the Chinese influence.

There are newer reviews for Rumwong

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Visited on a Tuesday night and the restaurant was absolutely packed! Always a good sign. Attentive service, lovely fresh ingredients at reasonable value. The prawn stir fry was fresh and perfectly spiced. Everyone in my party enjoyed it. Would recommend.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

There's a kind of throwback to restaurants gone-by at Rumwong. It's been in Guildford for 30 years, and the waitresses blouses probably date back that far. But, still, it's a lovely restaurant, if a bit stuffy and stiff. The staff is pleasant enough, but rather charmless. I get the sense that there's a bit of tension coming down from the management.

On to the food, though. Well, I'm a vegan, and Thai food is tough for me, but I keep on trying because I love Thai food, and some places can really accommodate. Some. Most cannot.

So, I called Rumwong and asked about making a reservation for the evening. Then I mentioned that I'm a vegan, and asked if they knew what that meant. "Yes, yes," they replied, "We have a vegan menu." I was in shock, and got in the car to drive the 75 minutes to get there.

When I got there, I discovered that there is no vegan menu. There's a vegetarian menu, but they consider "fish and fish products" (i.e., shrimp paste, fish sauce, oyster sauce...) to be part of the vegetarian diet.

This was disappointing. Still, the waitress read the Thai page in my "Vegan Passport" very carefully. Unfortunately, she announced that I would not be able to have any of the curries, just the stir fry dishes. That's lame, because I can get a stir fry anywhere!

In the end, the food was really good -- and I can honestly say it was the BEST Tom Yum soup I've ever had. The other dishes are less memorable, but they were good. I started with a kir royale, and the flute it came in was great!

But, over all, it was disappointing to be told about an erroneous vegan menu....

1  Thank turkergirl
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went there for the first time last night on the recommendation of friend.The food was excellent and the prices were reasonable (I had three courses,two soft drinks and some lemon grass tea for £25).Also,the service was very prompt.We waited just 5 minutes between courses!If I am ever in Guildford again I will definitely be paying another visit.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Went there for a Friday lunch with friends. Great starters, and red beef curry and minced pork with chilli were high points in the main courses. Friendly and efficient service, and a good value wine list.