“great find”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Ashtead, null, United Kingdom
“great find”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I went to the restaurant with my parents and had a pleasant lunch. The starter that I had was a little disappointing- prawn cocktail. Then the mains came which were lovely. The calves liver was tender and the chicken beautifully cooked with a sauce. The Chicken Milanese was also great. An abundance of vegetables was again very nice and plentiful. To round off my parents had the Crepe Suzette,which was fab, great portion size and plenty of sauce. Overall a pleasant experience and will be back if we are in the area again.

Woking
“Consistently Good”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We've been to Carlo's a number of times over the past few years and found the meals to be good, always. The regular menu offers a wide choice, supplemented by the day's specials. The service is attentive and friendly without being too formal or pretentious. On this occasion (29 July 2014), we arrived quite late and were the last ones out but we didn't get the feeling we were being rushed out.
It's a special treat restaurant for us, we will continue to return.

• Visited July 2014
Woking, United Kingdom
“Not as fantastic as reviews would have you believe.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a classic case of something not living up to the hype. Perhaps I'd be writing a better review of Carlo's had I not read the Trip Advisor reviews beforehand. Anyway, last night was date night and my boyfriend and I went out for dinner to Carlo's Trattoria. As I've mentioned in other reviews, I'm on the hunt for Surrey's best Italian experience and I was really excited to try Carlo's Trattoria, especially based on all the rave reviews I'd read on here. All I can say is, I wish I knew what those reviewers ate...

SERVICE
Let's start with the positives. I thought the service was good. The waiters were polite, attentive and informative. I've been learning basic Italian and I even had a chance to practice a little with our very patient waiter. No complaints here.

ATMOSPHERE
Carlo's is not what you'd expect from a traditional Italian trattoria. It's not cosy, I wouldn't say it's romantic. Inside it's very white and sterile with strange dated decor on the walls. I'll be fair and stress that this is very much personal preference. Carlo obviously has a particular style and who am I to say he should do otherwise? It just wasn't to my taste. There were actually some lovely photos of good times in the family restaurant on the wall as we entered, I'd have loved to see more of that in the restaurant.

FOOD
Now he's where I felt disappointed. Not upset or disgusted, just disappointed. I judge a great Italian restaurant by the quality of it's produce. Eating in Italy is an experience you never forget because produce grown in Italy simply tastes different. The tomatoes explode with flavour, the prosciutto is moist with an intense salty, flavour. From what I'd read about Carlo's I expected flavours from Italy, but that's not what we got.

I had the prosciutto e melone for starter. I was disappointed with the prosciutto. It was dry and the flavour was... lacking. I actually wondered off-hand if they'd simply peeled it from a pack bought in Sainsbury's. We ordered the bruschetta, usually my boyfriend's favourite part of any Italian meal. The bread was burnt on the bottom. The melted mozzarella on top reminded me of cheese on toast. And once again I wondered if the tomatoes (bland and watery) had been bought from Sainsbury's. Where was the explosion of flavour? On the plus side, my boyfriend quite enjoyed the chicken liver pate.

For main, I had the Tagliolini Tartufati. This was lovely and creamy but not overwhelming. I loved the subtle hit of white truffle. Boyfriend had the Penna Lucanica and couldn't finish it. I had a bite of the sausage and found it grainy and chewy. Not pleasant eating.

It was just our first time, but sadly I don't think we'll go back. But if you're looking for a restaurant that does decent Italian food with British ingredients, it's okay. We paid a lot and walked away underwhelmed.

3 Thank Camilla M
Worthing, United Kingdom
“very pleasant evening”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Lovely food and ambience with great choice of menu. A little puzzled over how the bill was arrived at but not enough to really worry about and we had a great eveing

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Solid authentic Italian food combined with friendly italian service”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've eaten at Carlo's a few times now after only discovering it last year. I wish I had done so sooner as each time the family has enjoyed fine food, friendly service and lots of interaction with the staff. Some people on here saying it's gone downhill. As a newbie I cannot comment but I used to visit both bar centro and cambio in town ( both now closed) Carlo's still going. What does that say? Anyone who knew of these two will appreciate the food was excellent. , different places, all three but this reviewer loves Carlo's because the pasta is cooked how they serve it in Italy, and fish and other Secondi are treated authentically. If you want inoffensive anglicised Italian then Carlos is not for you. Cannot wait to return to this value for money fun Trattoria.

• Visited June 2014