“A definite must go-to place”
Review of Cafe Rouge - Guildford - CLOSED

Cafe Rouge - Guildford
Price range: US$31 - US$41
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Clowne, United Kingdom
“A definite must go-to place”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Absolutely faultless. Staff were friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was great. Food was delicious and reasonably priced - especially with a gourmet card!

I can highly recommend the crepes - but hurry as this was a summer special!

• Visited July 2014

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it was”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We've been going to Cafe Rouges on and off for years, but recently they seem to be shrinking the menu and putting up the prices. Might be an illusion, but it feels that way. Though as we had a 40% off mains voucher, the overall price wasn't so bad. I'd not feel happy if I didn't get a discount, though.

The tables are very tightly packed, and we rejected the table offered as had I sat there my back would have been right up against the next diner and no one would have been able to get past into the furthest dining room.

Having taken our drinks order, the staff seemed to disappear and it took ages before they came back for our order.

We had chicken and mussels. The chicken was OK, but the mussels, although they tasted fine were very gritty - so much that I did complain in the restaurant, but they didn't really seem to know how to deal with this. I didn't want it replaced as then I'd be eating long after others were finished.

Also, if they are pretending to be a French bistro, they could at least give liberal good bread like real bistros do! (Especially with the mussels to soak up the sauce.)

Visited June 2014
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good service but must sort out the kitchen”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Not too long ago we were regulars at Cafe Rouge and it was a reliable place to go for a decent but not too expensive meal.
We went recently and it was way off the standard that should be expected.

The service was all ok and the staff were polite and helpful but we had a disappointing meal all round.

The shared starter was not as good as it used to be but the main courses were very poor.
We ordered rib-eye streak - which arrived looking like it had been boiled and left to go cold and mussels, which were over cooked.
To be fair our waitress did well and took it all away but the replacement chicken and 2nd mussels were only OK.
Its should be a nice restaurant but with a standard set menu - the quality should be much higher.

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“An under par steak and bought in desserts”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I understand fully that Cafe Rouge is a chain restaurant, and as such is subject to the tight margins and budgets of a large chain, but this doesn't make up for my recent experience at one. I was recommended by a friend, as he'd had a good steak here so I went in good faith. We were seated quickly and enjoyed the faux French surroundings, before we started our main course. I chose the second most expensive steak, hoping for a treat, but I was sorely disappointed when what i received was a 35 day aged steak which tasted strong and bitter, as if it had spent most of this time ageing on a warm windowsill! It was overcooked and served with a very small portion of French fries. I did however enjoy the lobster sauce. My dessert was a platter of assorted desserts, of which all were definitely frozen and defrosted before serving. The lemon tart had the tell-tale grainy texture of a frozen dessert. All in all, there was no part of this dining experience that wowed me, even though I entered in good faith.

• Visited April 2014
“Nice”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Really lovely french restaurant with relaxing decor and friendly staff. Just a shame about the price vs portion control.

Visited July 2013