“Not as good 2nd time around”

Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haslemere
London
“Not as good 2nd time around”
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

We were very excited about returning to Lythe Hill having stayed there many years ago. The stay started on a sour note as all treatments were booked due to being short staffed. We emailed the main address and did receive a prompt call apologising. We had emailed the spa too asking to be placed on the reserve list and got squeezed in for a 30 minute flash facial (they could not offer massages that day) for my wife which was great. I had to miss out which as this is a spa hotel was really disappointing (and was the main reason for going there).

We did also have a problem with a blocked toilet and had to change rooms as their maintenance person was not onsite. The reception again were very prompt and dealt with it very professionally. The staff clearly want you to enjoy your stay and make every effort. Thankfully another room was available....

On the plus side, the spa facilities are excellent. Very clean and well maintained. Very surprised by so many toddlers in the pool area though. It wasn't a 'retreat' atmosphere. I have stayed at dozens of spas previously and they had the largest number of young children I've seen.

The restaurant is also excellent. The staff were very attentive, friendly and the set menu was fantastic. Well priced wines and the old room in the 15th century building has real atmosphere. Our pre dinner Bloody Mary was well made too. The meal made the stay for us and left us with very positive thoughts given the earlier issues.

We really enjoyed our first stay here but not so much this time. I try to err towards the positives in reviews and the meal was fantastic and all staff are very friendly but the lack of a treatment will be the thing we remember and doubtful we would return.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyGuest1976
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Deay Happyguest1976

Thank you for taking the time to leave you feedback on your recent stay.
The team and I are pleased you again had an overall great stay with us.
Sadly your experience with regards being unable to get treatments booked at the times you desire is only testament to how popular our Amarna spa is. Indeed guests that book directly with us as are always advised to book treatments at the same time as their accommodation booking but those who use other websites cant always be made aware of how in demand our spa truly is.
May I ask that you contact me directly for your next booking and I will handle the details personally.

Regards

Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Recently stayed at this little gem of a hotel. From the moment I arrived till the day I departed I had the most wonderful stay.
To begin with I must comment on the attentiveness of the staff; every staff member I came across couldnt do enough for you. Nothing was too much trouble.

Rooms have no numbers but have names, I was in "Marley", Lovely room, separate sitting area and very comfy bed. Toiletries available in Bathroom from "Elemis"......great brand.

Moving on to the meal I had during my stay; this was simply Outstanding!!! Beautifully presented and attention to detail was second to none.
Breakfast the next morning was equally as good.

They also have a great SPA on site and I put this to good use.

Shame I only stayed 1 night. Really cant wait to return!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank djwill74
Dear djwill74

The team and are thrilled you had a great stay and hope that now you have found us you will treat yourself more often in the future.

Regards

london
Reviewed 29 December 2012

lovely setting (in summer) - I appreciated the old world charm of the place. But kept getting soaked every time I had to go anywhere in the hotel, as it rained heavily. All amenities in other buildings. No cosy fireplace to sit round and read (just two sofas in the tiny reception area where the doors kept opening letting in cold blasts of air) and no proper armchair seating in the bar area. The staff were lovely, faultless. My room was tiny, with a corridor leading to a little lounge area, but the problem was that I bruised my legs countless times trying to get around the bed. Too small. The wardrobe was OK, but absolutely no proper drawer space. Very disappointed with my particular room, though others are quite large.
Christmas lunch was dismal, the turkey was hard, the brussels were hard and very few vegetables on the plate....seriously disappointing for me, even though some other guests disagreed with me, others did not. I think I was very unlucky with the food, the room, and the weather!

Room Tip: ask for a large room, not a mini-suite with two rooms!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 December 2012
Dear Seila London

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
As I have said in my reply to your friend in the previous comment If we are not made aware of any issues you believe you have when you are residing with us then we are powerless to make any necessary amends.

Best regards

Reviewed 20 December 2012

We stayed here for three nights for a quiet few days after our wedding. The hotel was perfect, so relaxing and peaceful. Our room was lovely and spacious; we found it a nice touch that along with the usual tea and coffee in the room, there was also hot chocolate and filter coffee.

We ate in the restaurant every night, the staff were very welcoming and the food was delicious; there isn't the largest choice on the menu but the quality makes up for that. The breakfast is lovely, with a buffet style for cereals and pastries, with cooked options made fresh to order.

We used the spa each evening which again was very peaceful. We had intended to venture out to the
local town but we did not feel the need to in the end; we did however go on recommended walks from the hotel using their printed directions.

We would recommend this hotel for anyone that wants a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Dear JennyL

We are so pleased you chose to stay with us following your wedding and even more pleased you had such a fantastic time.
Do come and see us again soon and we wish you all the luck and happiness in married life to you both.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Wonderfully relaxing hotel, lovely spa and good restaurant. Only issue is a very similar menu for the two of the nights we were there, and no where to just sit and relax to read the paper. Very helpful staff. Great views from room and restaurant

Room Tip: Blackdown good room, with a lot more space than slightly lower budget rooms
Dear NicolaT

Many thanks for taking the time to feedback.
I and the team would love the chance to welcome you back at some point in the future.
With regards our menu we tend to find that the majority of our guests stay two or three nights and therefore our choice of around 10 main courses is normally sufficient for that period of time. However Chef is always prepared to alter and change any dishes that are in the realsm of his ability to do so .... Please just ask.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed on a Sunday evening with a dinner, bed and breakfast deal that was excellent value for money. The room was spacious, clean but fairly standard. The food for dinner and breakfast was really good. Spa facilities were great, I had a massage which wasn't cheap but worth every penny!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank TheBennetts82
TheBennetts82

Many thanks for your kind feedback. Do make time in 2013 to come and treat yourselves again.

Welwyn Garden City
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Very pleasant hotel indeed. Rooms clean, comfy and with everything you need while away from home. Fresh milk or lemon was available from reception as well as “long life” milk in rooms with the tea & coffee making facilities. Restaurant is very nice – part of it is in the 15th Century farm house and part of it, along with the bar area is in a newer extension, which has lovely views over the garden and lake. Flood lighting shows these to their best in winter & we watched the rabbits and a fox while dining. Food was A1. All staff, but particularly restaurant staff were very friendly and attentive without being intrusive. We eat in the restaurant both nights of our stay and the food was excellent. I did expect a little too much and thought chef’s Baileys and banana trifle might convert a self-confessed Trifle-phobe but sadly this wasn’t the case but that is purely a personal thing.
The pool facilities were also very nice, spotlessly clean with sun loungers and sofa’s around the pool. The additional touch of the (free) loan of a robe as well as a towel for around the pool is a very nice idea I’ve not seen at other hotels. One point to note; while I believe there are few rooms available in the restaurant building most are in a separate blocks across the car park & the pool & spa are in a separate building again. They are all very close together but separate none-the-less, which might be an issue for some less mobile guests. Thoughtfully, large umbrellas are supplied in reception if it should be raining.

Room Tip: Our room was great can't see any others having any issues.
1 Thank MrsJTraveller
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
Mrs JTraveller

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great report on our hotel and team.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Simon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haslemere
The Georgian Hotel
Grayshott Health Spa
Grayshott Health Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!