“Below average!”

Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haslemere
Reviewed 16 January 2014

After staying at the hotel recently for a wedding I must say I was disappointed, However I choose not to do a review as I didn't want to upset the wedding couple! (After all it must have cost them enough judging by the drink prices!) I have now decided to write my review as I am disgusted with the unprofessional & bordering on defamation of character comments made back on this page by the hotel management!
When we first arrived the hotel was beautiful & my estimations were high this was quickly altered by the sudden lack of available staff even for a wedding party! When I found the bar I waited 15 minuets for two drinks. The food was very nice but not considered out standing. The evening food was lovely however was removed shortly after it arrived! (I was later told it was because they wanted to get cleared up for the next day!) Arriving back to my room which was very nice I was looking forward to watching TV in the big bed and unwinding! HOWEVER on the way back to the room the hotel suffered a power cut (apparently a common occurrence) After finding our way back to the room by phone light we had a disturbed nights sleep as people tried to rectify the problem. Breakfast the next day was like an all you can eat buffet But with out the food! after finishing what was cooked for my breakfast the sausage and eggs I ordered before hand arrived! (to late) On check out I was told by hotel reception that there was nothing they could do And that the hotel manager would contact me...... I'm still waiting along with other guests I have spoken to!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Azza909
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Azza 909

May I first of all thank you for having taken the time to leave a review.
It has provided my team and I with an interesting discussion point.
First of all other readers should be fully aware that where you have commented on my "unprofessional" comments to a previous reviewer that we can now see on the system are indeed PERSONAL friends of yours who have no doubt encouraged you to know write an even more negatively slanted review than you would have done originally..... I am not aware that you were here on New Years Eve when they stayed recently and therefore you are not fully aware of what actually occurred. My response to them was in actual fact restrained. I did not mention that the gentlemen (husband) in that party was so embarrassed by his wife's actions and behaviour he said to my team on a number of occasions "please ignore my wife, everything is perfect".

Anyhow I shall not dwell as you have raised SOME valid points.
We did indeed suffer a very rare power cut during your stay caused by a tree falling on power lines in the local area. This obviously is something completely beyond our control and I am confident the team did their best to manage the situation when it occurred, providing guests with candles and water etc etc ....
I note furthermore you have chosen not to review the actual wedding experience which you have readily mentioned was the purpose of your visit. I would remind you that on that occasion the bride and groom informed me that their experience at Lythe Hill had been perfect and they were over the moon. I do appreciate that you probably needed to leave this out as your review would not have read so negatively like you required it to.....

In conclusion if you are going to review properties on tripadvisor I kindly request you do it without the prejudice of others.

Stay well

Simon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Thank you so much Lythe Hill for a most unexpected treat! We booked via laterooms.com and were delighted to be pleasantly surprised all counts. Food amazing, plenty of sun loungers around the spa, breakfast scrum my. Most importantly staff went out of their way to be fun, kind and helpful ( not a common occurrence in similar establishments ). Thank you all so much. Can't wait to come back....amazing walks in the area in beautiful scenery...just take your wellies in your car ! Meal was out of this world with complimentary canapés, bisques, sorbet and petit-fours all arrived during our delicious meal. Can't thank you enough. Can't wait for a return visit . Luke and Jo-Anne.

Room Tip: There are old fashioned rooms for romance within the Grade 2 listed building with four poster beds...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jo J

Thank you so much for your review.
The team and I are thrilled that you like so many others had a fantastic experience with us and are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Wow what a find! My partner and I had such a relaxing stay at the picturesque Lythe Hill Hotel, a much needed getaway! The mix of old and new is just perfect. The view we woke up to was breath taking and the walk around the grounds was like something out of a film. Not something you see everyday. We had the pleasure of observing a wedding taking place in the grounds from afar and the setting was just wonderful, a very lucky couple!
The general manager personally took the time to ensure we had everything we needed and was extremely helpful and polite. A real asset to the hotel.
We didn't think the stay could get more perfect.... until we hit the spa! Wow! I can highly recommend the full body salt scrub and laying by the pool in a gown was just amazing!
Highly recommend a stay at this superb, full of character hotel.
Sarah

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjallam

Dear Sjallam

Thank you so much for your review.
We are thrilled you had a fantastic time and do hope it will not be too long before you treat yourself again !

Reviewed 14 January 2014

First time stay at Lythe Hill.....from the minute you arrive the warm greeting at Reception tells you that this is going to be a good experience....and it was. The room was very clean , large and well presented. Beds are very comfy and I found the large walk-in shower a pleasure to use. The staff at breakfast were very well trained in delivering superb Customer Service with the food being high quality. Will definitely stay again when the need arises. Excellent experience

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ray D

Dear SugarRay

Thank you so much for your review.
My team and I are so pleased you had a great time with us and do indeed hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

After having our wedding at this hotel in September we booked to go back and celebrate new year at Lythe Hill, How a hotel can go down hill so much in three months!!!!! far two many dissapointmments to list them all. Gala. dinner was very poor. the dinner the night befor was served cold.The gala dinner tables were so tightly packed in, we all had to have coffee in the bar so the staff could push the tables to the back of the room to allow room for a dance floor. which ment we could not return to our table for the rest of the evening. The hotel stated afternoon tea on arrival. we were served stale scones with whipped cream not clotted cream!!NO sandwiches or pastries. No fresh rolls , no canapes, no Amuse Bouche. all which in the past had always been part of the evening dinning service. The staff however as always were friendly, and helpfull . We have stayed at the hotel many times in the last year to plan our wedding and the lead up to our big day. Most of our families also stayed for the wedding weekend.we are so upset that our last stay was such an upset, and that we havent heard from the management at all with any explanation as to the short falls of this stay!! once our favorite hotel but will not be in a rush to return!!!!

Room Tip: the cottage rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank 40foodie

Dear 40foodie

Thank you for first of all for having provided my team and I with such amusement as we read through your fabricated review.
The name you have chosen on here is truly ironic considering the comments you have made about the food.
In brief:
We have had more positive comments about the New Years Eve Gala dinner than any other in the hotel history and I am thrilled to have seen so many re-bookings for next year already.
You were indeed served Canapes, Amuse Bouche and fresh rolls so why you would choose to write what you have is truly baffling. I can only assume that you spent so much time taking advantage of the drinks reception that you were not completely aware of what was occurring in the main dining room. It was noted that you spent a long time discussing your new Jacuzzi with my managers as opposed to moving through to dine.
I will await now the further reviews that will no doubt appear from friends of yours that stayed with us for your wedding which was such an apparent success that suddenly now nearly 5 months later wish to write a negative review.
On the subject of your wedding last year I note that you chose not to write a review mentioning how perfect it was ... I use that word only because I, myself ran your wedding and you mentioned it was everything you could ever have expected and wished for. It is interesting that you chose to use this site purely from a negative perspective. I can only assume that this was because you did not get your own way with the extortionate demands for compensation from my team following your most recent visit.
My team are therefore indeed thrilled to learn that you have little intention of ever returning to us considering your behaviour over the NY period.
As you may remember back on the day of your "perfect" wedding I offered a preferential rate to welcome you back at some point around your one year anniversary ... You can consider that offer withdrawn.

All the best

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We used this hotel as our base for hellrunner in longmoor. This hotel was a real find!! You really can not fault the staff here, they were very warm yet professional. They could not do enough to help you.

The food was stunning and the whole dining experience was fantastic.

We really enjoyed the spa and my massage was spot on

Thank you Lythe Hill for a great weekend!!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear droperidol30

Thank you so much for your review.
My team and I were thrilled you had a fantastic stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 January 2014

New Year's Eve
Fab! We had a room only for the night. Went to Guildford for a perfect Italian (olivio).
We had a small room this time but it was perfectly adequate .
The breakfast and the service was first rate. Sorry we didn't get to use the spa this time!
We will go again!

• Stayed: December 2013
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Hector58o

Thank you so much for your review.
We are so pleased you had a great time and hope to see you again soon.

Simon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Haslemere
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Park House Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!