I booked the hotel for my wife's birthday largely on the strength of the reviews here.
All I can say is don't make the same mistake. The hotel is very ordinary, essentially a travelodge tacked on to a Tudor house of very modest scale. Just how modest you find out when you try to book the restaurant - you'll need to book well in advance to get in.
The rooms are plain and uninviting, exactly what you would expect from a run of the mill business hotel.
The spa is in an outbuilding and claims some affinity with Nefertiti but is a really just a swimming pool with a small sauna and steam room attached. It seems to be something of a haven for locals and the treatments were fully booked - again book early.
We had dinner one night; we were told rather curtly that we could eat early or late the following night so we ate elsewhere. On the night we did eat in the restaurant the food was interesting and the staff reasonably courteous but the portions were vanishingly small; my Gressingham duck garnished with red cabbage was more accurately red cabbage garnished with Gressingham duck.
One of the highlights of a country hotel is breakfast. The ingredients were good but the food was served barely warm having clearly been pre-cooked and "kept warm" much like business hotel chains up and down the country.
It wasn't unpleasant but neither was it notably enjoyable or even friendly; in fact we considered cutting the visit short, staying for one rather than two nights.
It isn't the country house hotel experience that you are led to expect by the website. It might be a good place for a conference or wedding but not so much for a relaxing romantic weekend for two.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beyond the magnificent Tudor facade which greets guests on arrival, lies a luxury 4 star hotel like no other. Resting on the borders of Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex, Lythe Hill is an outstanding example of a luxury country house hotel that has never lost its old world sense of charm. With 46 individually designed bedrooms, gym, spa, health club and stunning restaurant, you can expect faultless service and total relaxation set within 22 acres of picturesque countryside. While Lythe Hill may be inspired by the past, it's certainly not confined by it. Blending historic features from 1475 with a cool contemporary atmosphere, guests truly have an abundance of experiences to indulge in. Our historic Tudor House consists of a bar and restaurant which offers a range of dishes with freshly prepared traditional cuisine. Our Head Chef and his dedicated team strive to deliver the freshest, high quality dishes. The Amarna Spa is inspired by Queen Nefertiti, whose name means "the beautiful one has arrived". The Spa was designed to reflect Nefertiti's desire for peace, tranquility and her passion for pampering. Offering a wide range of ESPA beauty therapy treatments, 16 metre swimming pool and whirlpool, steam room and sauna and fully equipped gym and tennis court. Making this the ideal place to wind down and renew your energy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lythe Hill Haslemere
- Lythe Hill Hotel Haslemere
- Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa Haslemere, Surrey