“Sadly a bit mixed. Service needs some attention”

Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haslemere
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been to Lythe Hill a few times for different occasions; overnight stay, spa day, wedding reception and afternoon tea. Sometimes it's been great, others it's been really under par. Usually this has been when we have visited for a simple afternoon tea (for fathers day and more recently my grandmothers birthday celebration). Both times I felt it necessary to give some feedback, and this weekend I did not feel that service charge was warranted. The actual food was good but the service and beverages were not. They were not busy (one other small party and two or three tables of two), our requirements weren't difficult yet it was made very convoluted and generally hard work to have a nice afternoon. I think the hotel, it's surroundings and facilities are great but for a 4 star property they really need to work on their service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Lucy G
Patrick M, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review and I am sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. I have discussed your comments with all concerned and we have taken actions to ensure that the service standards are consistently high at al times. I hope you will accept my apologies and trust that we will have an opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Overall a great hotel, with stunning surroundings, very peaceful, amazing food, great spa area and generally great service!

A couple of little things annoyed me; we missed breakfast by 15 minutes, but no one did anything to help - just said "breakfast was finished"! No where in the room we stayed in did it have the phone number for reception (I had to guess). The prices were a little steep, as you'd expect from a 4* hotel, not the best value for money.

But generally everything was very good, old fashioned rooms were very unique and well looked after, food was delicious, everyone was nice and helpful, grounds and scenery were picturesque with lots of wildlife! Overall very pretty!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jordan C
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Sadly we could only stay one night and I desperately needed to relax after being stressed out for a long time. Right from the friendly reception check in to going into a spotless clean room it was a great start. The pool was lovely nice and warm. The treatments were a complete joy and very professional.
When we went to the restaurant for dinner I was worried thinking it might be one of those places you get tiny portions and come away still hungry but I was so wrong! The staff were amazing and the food was the best I have tasted in a very long time. The grounds are lovely to walk around with lots of rabbits scattered about.The bed was so comfortable I had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was great and again friendly service.
The staff are a credit to this hotel and I hope the management team look after them. It is the attention to detail they take great pride in what they do. Thank you so much I could have stayed a month! The knots in my neck gone even after such a short stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed here with family and hosted a 21st birthday party in the Quennell Room. The whole organisation of the day was made easy by attention to detail by all the staff from booking with Nicola to Roman's quiet food and wine service. We had young children with us and they were accommodated with a cheery smile throughout with nothing seeming too much effort for the staff. Rounding off the experience with family fun in the swimming pool Sunday morning before most dispersed home.

Room Tip: We love Seymour room with it's quirky bathroom and easy availability to the restaurant but Nancy...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed her for one night with work but wish it was for longer!! I stayed in a fabulous room which had it's own little courtyard/garden....absolutely gorgeous room...don't think they are all as nice.

The spa is brilliant and the gym is well equipped.

The views are amazing and so relaxing... Overlooking it's own lake and grounds. When I was in the spa at one point there was a hot air balloon floating in the sky in the distance.

The bar/restaurant has fantastic staff who are incredibly polite and helpful. However my only negative about this whole hotel is the cost of the drinks which are incredibly overpriced and means you cannot relax outside with a drink for longer. The breakfast was lovely.

Really peaceful night.

I didn't want to leave this hotel!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Johnjohnjo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We booked the hotel to host our wedding guests from midnight, with music and food to be supplied. We reserved 27 bedrooms. The problems started when we needed to cancel 3 rooms with 3 weeks notice and the hotel refused to refund our £50 deposit per room. Then my husband to be, asked for our room to be turned down prior to our arrival, they forgot. We arrived at midnight with 50 guests no heating this was a December wedding. It has taken me this long to write a review and not to be emotional just factual. The food had been prepared and left standing for hours, oh and they forgot to serve us anyway! No music was supplied either. The final problem was when our guests had ordered drinks and these were charged to our bill. We complained about the service a week after and the Manager just wasn't interested offered us a complimentary night!
The only good thing the rooms were clean, bed linen comfortable and breakfast nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Victoria L

I am sorry that you felt it necessary to write a malicious and unfounded review as there is no record of any booking in December. My deputy has been in touch with you by email but you obviously just wish to ignore the email and continue to write misleading reviews.

I have reported this review to Tripadvisor and hopefully they will withdraw your access as reviews are supposed to be truthful and not intended to mislead

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend have stayed here quite a few times and will definitely be staying here again in the future! Such a perfect and peaceful retreat with amazing staff! The restaurant and spa facilities are absolutely superb!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ellie400
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haslemere
The Georgian Hotel
Grayshott Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!