“Not as grand as expected”

Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haslemere
London
“Not as grand as expected”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at Lythe Hill over the weekend and was excited as I was expecting a lovely grand hotel - especially for the price which was easily double most of the other hotels in the area. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to use the spa which I was very upset about as I didn't arrive until too late. The spa shuts at 9.30 so my arrival at 8.30 meant I couldn't use the pool before dinner (last entrance at the restaurant was also 9.30 so it was a decision between exercise and food and food won out!).
Once checked in I was directed to my room which was upstairs - there was no lift so I carried my own case all the way.
The room itself was very warm and just slightly better than bland. I was expecting a bit more pizzazz for £130 a night but really I could have been in a holiday inn. There was nothing to say about it really. The bathroom had seen better days and the shower was either very hot or very cold. I was excited to see that there were white company toiletries but for a 4 star hotel it was still just a basic selection of the essentials so don't forget anything that you might need for your stay.
The room was VERY hot. There was a fan in the room and I could have the window open but there is no air con at all which is disappointing.
Also no fridge / mini bar in the room and some very small bottles of complimentary water - perhaps its a British hotel problem as I never seem to have it abroad but WHY can't hotels provide more water / refreshments in rooms particularly during a heatwave??? For a spa hotel that is supposed to be relaxing and somewhere to rejuvenate I didn't feel particularly rejuvenated after a night dying of thirst. I have rated the sleep quality as Poor therefore - but if you are travelling in winter it would be fine.
Also no robes.... again - thought this was a spa? Why no robes? Again probably the perils of British hotels but for the price I expected them.
The restaurant/bistro and breakfast was lovely and the best thing about my stay here. The staff were attentive and helpful without being obtrusive. The view from the Bistro was also amazing - rabbits playing in the field - very scenic while enjoying our expensive cocktails!
Overall it is a nice hotel but with a few added details it would have been a much more pleasurable stay. I think there are probably better hotels for the money in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get one downstairs as you get no help getting upstairs with your luggage
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LovetoshopLondon
Patrick M, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. The hotel has a variety of rooms from Garden Suites overlooking the grounds, historic rooms in the listed Tudor building to standard rooms such as the one you were staying in. As you would expect the higher standard rooms have better facilities such as air conditioning, larger bedrooms and bathrooms etc but this is reflected in the price. I am sorry that no offer was made to help with your luggage as this is standard policy and I will remind those concerned that assistance must be offered.

The Spa closes at 10.00pm but last entry is 9.30pm. We have found that these times work well but I am sorry that you arrived too late for a swim on the evening of your arrival. Guests are permitted use of the Spa until 4.00pm on the day of departure and I hope you were able to take advantage of this.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
california
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our family stayed at the Lythe Hill Hotel for one night during July. When we drove up, we were enthralled by the old buildings, the large expanse of green lawn, the relative quiet of the area. Check in went fine and we were given the keys to our rooms. Suddenly, fantasy over. Lots of stairs to climb with no offer of luggage assistance. Well, ok, that's not such a big deal. But somehow the empty picture frames over sections of the wallpaper in the hallways... whose idea of decor is that? Then as for the room decor... well, we were in two rooms which were totally devoid of character or charm or even much comfort. Our double bed was about a foot off the floor, there were two dingy lamps for illumination, no bathrobes (we don't usually use them but they were stated in the writeup), the knob came off the shower when turned. The young man at the front desk was friendly and wanted to help but didn't have many facts about the area. It was a very, very hot day and the room was sweltering. The front desk said they would try to find a fan, but that is the last we heard of it. The restaurant has a fabulous dining room, right out of the Renaissance. We were not offered seating there but shown instead to the back deck for outside seating. In all fairness, we did not have advance reservations and maybe the dining room was fully booked, but maybe the option could have been offered? Anyhoo, given the temperature, eating outdoors was fine since a breeze had come up. I guess I just don't know how owners could have such a lovely set of buildings on a lovely property and yet offer rooms which look and feel like a budget hotel.

Room Tip: Apparently, some rooms have a better decor and three are even air conditioned. If you are consider...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mbtrip
Patrick M, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review of our hotel. I am sorry that no one offered assistance with your luggage as this is standard policy in the hotel and I have taken this up with those concerned.

I was pleased you liked our Tudor restaurant and I am conscious that the rest of the hotel should be sympathetic to this unique building.
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed for three nights. Booked two rooms for myself and my family. On the first night we arrived very late and it transpired that one of the rooms had been double booked. The staff were extremely helpful. We were allocated a bridal suite which was fabulous! The second night we were given an upgrade to a larger room than the one we had originally booked which was again brilliant. All the staff are helpful, polite and friendly. The food is superb and the facilities some of the cleanest and well maintained I have come across. It also provides a great countryside setting with lovely grounds.
Well done Lythe Hill!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write a review of our hotel. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your kind comments onto the gardeners and housekeepers. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A major disapointment. Poor wifi coverage in main area and in room. Everything seems on the cheap side. Stayed in a suite as a special ocassion but nothing special. Just a larger than average room with a but more space. Certainly doesnt compare well to other hotels. Two small bottles of water and instant coffee. No bath robes. It may sound pickey but if you are spending £250 for a night i shouldnt have to set the clock on the bedside table...it was 2.5 hours wrong.

Grounds in a poor state of repair with weeds in what used to be the flower beds. The pond still stinks.

As others have said the drinks are very expensive.

Evening meal was great but breakfast was a shambles...waited ages, kept running out of bread and fruit. Staff trying hard but a lack of management was evident.

i always find it telling when the person who completes check out fails to ask how your stay was. They are clearly used to poor feedback.

Avoid!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank m p
I was saddened to learn from your review that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel. I have taken note of your comments about robes and coffee and will look into making robes and fresh coffee available. Currently all our robes are used in the Spa.

I apologise for the problems you encountered with breakfast. As you will have been aware the hotel was very busy over the weekend and unfortunately most guests decided to take a late breakfast.

I was disappointed to read your comments about the grounds as I believe we keep the 22 acres in good condition. There is one bed that we are going to turn back to grass as despite extensive replanting everything was falling prey to the rabbits and deer.

I am sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion but hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to redeem ourselves in your eyes.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The pond at the bottom of the hill stinks to high heaven. I mean the one where the gazebo is. This is used b y wedding parties for photographs. Cannot understand why people go next or near it. Cant understand why it is being reviewed so positively. We were there week end of 22/6/2014.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tom K
Patrick M, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your review. The pond was unfortunately covered with tree pollen from the weeping willow and other surrounding trees at the time of your visit. This has now been rectified and the pond is back to its usual pristine state and make an ideal backdrop for any wedding
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked to get away from our son's prom night as we had 9 teenagers staying over. At the time of booking we mentioned this, no one told us there was a prom booked at the hotel. Very naughty! Awful racket from 6.30 ish til nearly midnight - right opposite our room. Had to turn volume up on TV to hear it.
Having said that, we were delighted with our room. We chose the hotel as it takes 1 dog in the Shelley Room only which led us to think it would be average or small and possibly not great. It was a lovely big room, immaculately clean, bright and airy, beautifully furnished, stunning bathroom - although no bath just a great shower. Direct access to gardens. Absolutely lovely. We slept very well after the prom finished. Other half had steak on room service. Delicious. Staff were all really lovely, breakfast was delicious (although forgot toast which I would have asked for if I had wanted it). Lovely waiter brought our retriever a bowl of water on the bar terrace. Very kind and charming. Prices for glass of wine far too high! £9 and £11. Would like to have stayed longer at the bar but not at that price. Spa was FAB. Lovely pool. Super treatments. Not sure would say the same if swimming after schools out or holidays as too many children. Need to be supervised so guests can actually swim! Parents should not dump their children in the pool and disappear. There is no lifeguard. Really SPA should focus on the hotel guests a bit more.
Grounds are divine. Like Watership Down. Although lake is stagnent - bit smelly despite being filled with running water - needs to be sorted.
This is an exellent 4* hotel - immaculately clean, our room was lovely, staff lovely, definitely would go back and try the restaurant. The main building is bursting with character - facinating.

Room Tip: Shelley and similar rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahM62
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I was pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay. The Prom finished at 10.15pm and all the guests were gone by 10.30pm so it may have been other guests on the terrace that disturbed you for which I apologise on their behalf.

The pond unfortunately was not at it's best during your stay. Having tried several possible solutions without success we had the water analysed and found that the pond was covered in tree pollen. This has now been rectified and the pond is restored to it's usual pristine condition.

We have set times when children can use the pool, 3.00pm to 4.30pm weekdays and 10.30am to 11.30am and 3.00m to 4.30pm at weekends. We have found that these times generally work well with our members and hotel guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lythe Hill in the near future
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night break,have visited now 5 times and always a pleasure,great service throughout,especially Christina in the restaurant,good breakfast,great views,beautiful spa/swimming pool/gym
Lots of walking,peaceful gem in England's countryside

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jonathanbear06
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review and I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comments on to all concerned and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haslemere
The Georgian Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel

Been to Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!