“Pleasant hotel in beautiful setting”

Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haslemere
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“Pleasant hotel in beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is in an ideal location. My family and I enjoyed our stay.

On arrival we were greeted by a pleasant young male receptionist who was very helpful. We were allocated the 'Kent' room which is very spacious having a separate sitting room attached, however the view is restricted by a hedge. The only real let down is the bathroom, whilst it is a good size it is let down by the shower. The head would not stay in position and metal casing covering the water feed tube had come adrift. - this is unacceptable in a four star hotel.

There is ample car parking at no extra charge.

The spa is very good, we all enjoyed a swim and then lay on the balcony admiring the views. The attendants were helpful and pleasant.

Overall I recommend this hotel, if a little pricy.

Room Tip: 1. Ask for a room with a view of the beautiful grounds. 2. Don't ask for ice delivered to your...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jonathan D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I write this review on the last morning of my stay. What can I say, this hotel has so so so much potential. The setting is absolutely beautiful, as are the buildings. The room is of a good size, the spa is superb and the food was excellent. Unfortunately after 3 days it is only the things that are wrong that come to mind however.

My main gripe is the wi-fi. It is simply inadequate. The speed is appalling and I must have asked reception at least 10 times to restart the router during my 3 day stay. If you wish to work, email, upload, download or stream, forget it. I’ve ended up spending 8 hours in Costa coffee on the high street this week. My last call to reception was simply ignored so I write this from Costa.

The well-furnished executive room houses a bed which is comprised of two single beds pushed together with a mattress topper covering them. The bedding is awesome but you simply sink to the middle of the bed constantly and end up on top of each other. We haven’t slept well once.

The shower temperature is almost impossible to control and far too sensitive. The White Company bathroom toiletries are very good.

Most of the staff have been lovely but they have been trained to call you sir every 3rd word and it’s quite frankly annoying, particularly in the restaurant. In fact it comes across as stuck up and as if you are being judged and looked down upon and the level of the service and quality of product certainly didn’t warrant this. I live in Dubai and to be made to feel uncomfortable by over the top service is saying something. The drinks are also more expensive than London prices.

Until the wi-fi is sorted I would never stay here again, which is a shame as in many ways it is ideal.

Room Tip: The ASTOR room double bed is just two twins pushed together.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Makfi83
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I used a red letter day voucher, given as a wedding present, for two nights away in the hotel and spa. On arrival reception staff were brilliant, really welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. We had also been given an upgrade as we were celebrating our anniversary (took a while to use the voucher). The room, Hastings, was spacious, clean and well presented. Bathroom was a bit of a let down as not the same standard as the room. Shower very tired, role coming off bath, toilet was stained. However, white company toiletries delightful. The restaurant was only used for breakfast which was tasty, served quickly and staff were very pleasant. Beware the surcharge for some breakfast menu items. Spa facility are lovely and the staff in the spa are enthusiastic, welcoming and don't make you feel out of place. The only let down in the spa was again it could do with a bit of TLC. On our first visit to the pool there were a couple of dead flies which unfortunately still there the next evening. Overall the welcoming nature of the young staff both in the hotel and spa made this a delightful three day break.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MAHT328
Twickenham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We went for afternoon tea which we had on the terrace as it was a beautiful day. The view over the well kept grounds was stunning and made the perfect setting. Unfortunately the service was not as good. We waited 40 minutes for the food (how long can it take to put a few sandwiches and cakes on a plate?) and there were only 3 tables taken. I would hate to be there when it is busy. The quality of the food was varied. Lovely light scones were the highlight but it's a shame the jam came in a small jar reminiscent of a buffet breakfast. The sandwiches had obviously been made in advance as the bread was dry on the outside. The pot of chopped banana, cream and dulce du leche was, quite frankly, the sign of a lazy chef. However, there were some nice touches and it wouldn't take much to elevate this from an average to an excellent afternoon tea.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TwickenhamCats
Patrick M, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for writing your review of your Afternoon Tea. I was surprised to learn of the delay in service but without knowing when you booked I cannot comment further. The jams are Tiptree preserves and are served in the individual glass pots to ensure their freshness and quality. The 'shot glass' treat is designed as a novelty to go alongside our normal range of small cakes and pastries and changes regularly.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently stayed at Lythe Hill for my birthday along with my boyfriend and parents. I was very impressed with how beautiful this place is, very tranquil and the rooms are of a good standard.

When we first arrived the man on reception was very friendly and helpful. Once we had checked in we went for a drink in the bar overlooking the grounds. We then booked a taxi to take us to Chiddingfold for dinner which the hotel kindly arranged for us.. it was a bit concerning when a gentleman chased us out of the restaurant with a card machine (even though we had paid for our drinks), we assumed this was a pre-payment for the cab but it turned out to be a mistake.. no issue with this at all.

It became apparent that Lythe Hill is a very popular wedding venue which is understandable; however, as a result It was extremely busy. We didn't mind this but there was a high level of noise from about 6.30am which I was a bit annoyed about. I understand that a hotel has a good level of service to up keep but I think that this is a tiny bit spoilt when the noise levels are this high. We went for breakfast in the restaurant which is very nice with great views, however, I was disappointed with the service.. we had to pay an extra £4.50 for Eggs Benedict which was not cooked thoroughly and the staff did not seem overly interested on providing a high level of service.

The rest of the day was lovely we didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening as I preferred to visit one of the neighbouring local pubs in Chiddingfold. I have to say that the noise levels were greatly reduced on the Sunday morning which was nice and we had a relaxing lie in. Unfortunately breakfast was again not ideal, we were greeted by a very rude gentleman who was perturbed when we asked for a table for 3 people and then proceeded to ignore us for a good 20 minutes before we were served. We had arrived at 10am so that we had time to have a leisurely breakfast, in the end we weren't served our boiled eggs until 10.40 so had to rush to eat before checking out at 11am. I really do understand that hotels get very busy but no-one told us that there would be a long wait or even offered us a cup of tea whilst we waited.

I don't want this review to be negative as I really did enjoy my stay at Lythe Hill. As mentioned the reception staff were extremely welcoming and helpful, the grounds are lovely and the spa was great. I would recommend this hotel to friends but I am just a bit annoyed at the level of service at breakfast, im sure this would not have been the case had there not been so many guests staying this weekend.

Room Tip: If possible would spend a bit extra on one of the suites in the garden as the main hotel is a little...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauralouise4234
Patrick M, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your review from which I was pleased to learn that you would recommend us to friends. I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with our service at breakfast and I have taken this up with the Restaurant Manager. I have also reviewed with the Chef the surcharge for Eggs Benedict and we have decided to remove this. I understand that we removed the charge from your bill already when you checked out.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future so that you can enjoy the tranquillity of our grounds
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have stayed at this beautiful hotel several times and have never been disappointed. The location and grounds are absolutely wonderful and kept in tiptop condition. The staff are extremely attentive without being overwhelming and cater to your every need. The reception staff were excellent and went out of their way to ensure that we were happy with every aspect of our short stay. The swimming pool and surrounds are kept in good condition and, again, the staff were very helpful. The restaurant is an 'experience' to say the least, the chef and staff couldn't do enough for us and the food was excellent. Our room was very spacious, albeit a little 'tired' but it suited us! Will definitely be coming here for another break.

Room Tip: We have always been happy with the rooms in the main hotel so would recommend these.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patsijane
Thank you very much for your kind comments which I have passed on to all the staff and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the very near future
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at Lythe Hill over the weekend and was excited as I was expecting a lovely grand hotel - especially for the price which was easily double most of the other hotels in the area. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to use the spa which I was very upset about as I didn't arrive until too late. The spa shuts at 9.30 so my arrival at 8.30 meant I couldn't use the pool before dinner (last entrance at the restaurant was also 9.30 so it was a decision between exercise and food and food won out!).
Once checked in I was directed to my room which was upstairs - there was no lift so I carried my own case all the way.
The room itself was very warm and just slightly better than bland. I was expecting a bit more pizzazz for £130 a night but really I could have been in a holiday inn. There was nothing to say about it really. The bathroom had seen better days and the shower was either very hot or very cold. I was excited to see that there were white company toiletries but for a 4 star hotel it was still just a basic selection of the essentials so don't forget anything that you might need for your stay.
The room was VERY hot. There was a fan in the room and I could have the window open but there is no air con at all which is disappointing.
Also no fridge / mini bar in the room and some very small bottles of complimentary water - perhaps its a British hotel problem as I never seem to have it abroad but WHY can't hotels provide more water / refreshments in rooms particularly during a heatwave??? For a spa hotel that is supposed to be relaxing and somewhere to rejuvenate I didn't feel particularly rejuvenated after a night dying of thirst. I have rated the sleep quality as Poor therefore - but if you are travelling in winter it would be fine.
Also no robes.... again - thought this was a spa? Why no robes? Again probably the perils of British hotels but for the price I expected them.
The restaurant/bistro and breakfast was lovely and the best thing about my stay here. The staff were attentive and helpful without being obtrusive. The view from the Bistro was also amazing - rabbits playing in the field - very scenic while enjoying our expensive cocktails!
Overall it is a nice hotel but with a few added details it would have been a much more pleasurable stay. I think there are probably better hotels for the money in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get one downstairs as you get no help getting upstairs with your luggage
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LovetoshopLondon
Patrick M, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. The hotel has a variety of rooms from Garden Suites overlooking the grounds, historic rooms in the listed Tudor building to standard rooms such as the one you were staying in. As you would expect the higher standard rooms have better facilities such as air conditioning, larger bedrooms and bathrooms etc but this is reflected in the price. I am sorry that no offer was made to help with your luggage as this is standard policy and I will remind those concerned that assistance must be offered.

The Spa closes at 10.00pm but last entry is 9.30pm. We have found that these times work well but I am sorry that you arrived too late for a swim on the evening of your arrival. Guests are permitted use of the Spa until 4.00pm on the day of departure and I hope you were able to take advantage of this.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haslemere
The Georgian Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,479 reviews
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel

Been to Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!