“Lovely local pub, with excellent food”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #30 of 35 Restaurants in Haslemere
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The first time I drove past this pub I thought it looked a bit tatty and uninviting. Having seen on their website that they have won several awards for their food, though, I decided we should give it a go, and we were so glad we did. The inside is divided into a very nice dining area and, up a few steps, a pleasantly old-fashioned bar area; there is a large garden, with a play-area for kids, at the back, although that didn't appeal greatly on a soggy November day!

There is a fairly extensive 'standard' menu, plus a blackboard crammed full of specials, both based on local produce; unusually for a pub, there is also a decent choice of appealing-looking vegetarian options - it's really not difficult, so why don't more pubs do this? We had a couple of tasty and extremely generously-filled baguettes - so generously filled that I couldn't finish mine - which were reasonably priced at around £5-£6 each. The beer was apparently very good, too, although I can't tell you at first-hand as I was driving and so had to stick to soft drinks. The landlord was as welcoming and helpful as anyone could ask.

Given all the above, it's not surprising that the place was fairly busy: I would imagine that advance booking is needed at busy times, although we found a spare table with no difficulty on a Saturday lunchtime. It's a shame this place is well out of my usual way, as I would be very pleased to go back at any time.

OverworkedHaslemere, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your kind words. We would very much like to smarten the outside up and will do in time, unfortunately it is all down to money. It is always encouraging to know that people do appreciate what we do, so thank you again.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Oak

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Food was good here and wine very reasonably priced, friendly staff and efficient service, will visit again soon.

OverworkedHaslemere, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you. People are very quick to complain, but never to praise. In a very difficult economic climate we are struggling on and doing the best we can, so positive comments are always very appreciated!

Reviewed 11 May 2013

I visit this pub every other month and I really love the landlord, he is a real character. I am getting really fed up of the menu though, it seems to have been the same for at least two years apart from there is less choice. The pub needs a bit of energy put into the place, this pub is in a great location to serve the local community, it has a fantastic garden space and has a lovely old feel to the bar area but it needs a facelift and remarketing to get people going there. I visited on a Friday night and it was very quiet, act before its too late please we don't want to loose another pub! I think it is a bit overpriced too.

OverworkedHaslemere, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you for you comments, we always value constructive feedback. I totally agree with your comments regarding the menu, we are in the process of revamping them, one dish at a time (due to the cost) but unfortunately it has upset some people already by removing their favourite dishes. It's so hard to please everyone! Regarding being expensive, unfortunately that is beyond our control due to unjustifiably high rent and spiralling costs. All of which are totally out of our control! If you have any favourites you would like to see added to the menu, please let us know.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

My family brought me here for Mothers Day. There were 12 of us and the pub was packed, but the service was brilliant. The staff were friendly and good fun and the food was fantastic, top restaurant quality. The menu was limited, but there was still a good choice and despite it being so busy, the service was very quick. We will most certainly be back!

OverworkedHaslemere, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. Mothers Day has always been a very busy one for us, so we do try to produce a tasty menu that we can serve quickly. We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

Used to be an alright pub back in the day.. Now it's an over priced pub/restaurant. Had to wait 10 mins at the bar for service on a Friday afternoon. When I say service I mean for someone to actually appear behind the bar.

OverworkedHaslemere, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

I do apologise for the fact that you had to wait and the situation is being dealt with.

Regarding your other comments, I am a little bemused about what "back in the day" means! A simple observation of your profile confirms that you are indeed only 25 and as we have owned The Royal Oak for over 10 years, your "back in the day" comment must refer to either a time when you were not actually permitted to frequent the aforementioned establishment legally OR a time when infact we were running it in exactly the same way as we are now!

Refering to the "expensive" comment. Unless you are comparing us to Whetherspoons and the like, we are actually on a par and infact for many items cheaper. You are obviously unfamiliar with the highly publicised plight of the the leasehold pub. Please go to the link below and read the article which will perhaps make you a little more sympathetic to small family run pubs like ours, rather than condemning us so quickly and so publically!

Finally, we apologise that you find a 17th Century building dated! We carried out internal redecoration to the best of our ability last year and the project is ongoing. We have worked within our means both financially and physically. There is only so much you can do with such an old building without losing all the character!