“great country pub and with very good food”

The Red Lion Public House
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Haslemere
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Although we hadn't booked and the Red Lion was very busy we were able to enjoy a very good meal with our family.
Lovely atmosphere, brilliant staff very charismatic!

Julian G, Manager at The Red Lion Public House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all feedback as it helps to make sure we are working to give all our customers a good time when they come to The Red Lion. It also makes us look at where we need to improve. Your comments are great and we appreciate this very much and thank you from all at The Red Lion.
Kind regards
Julian & Jacqueline

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Spent a very enjoyable evening at the Red Lion meeting up with some old friends. We all used to work locally so it was somewhere we had been previously been but not for a few years. The food was very good pub food with a wide selection and good size portions. Again the sweet menu had a very good selection and would cater for even the fussiest eater! The staff were friendly, a nice return visit.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We went for a family Sunday lunch on a warm English spring day. The pub clearly has some local custom and was fairly full. The food looked as if it might be solidly average - satisfactory but not gastro-pub level. That would have been fine, had we ever received our lunch. We paid for our drinks and told the kitchen to stand down on our order (which had been lost) after an hour.

This was mostly just inconvenient and any waitress can have a bad day, so I am not going to write an excoriating review. This is my first ever one-star review as there is usually some kind of explanation or some mitigating circumstances. I have enough sense not to choose somewhere that will be utterly horrific.

The bad experience may benefit others from a few observations however:

1. Without making personal comments, the failure to monitor and process our order appears to have been mostly down to one waitress who seemed a little confused in all of my dealings with her.

2. There is no system for monitoring if orders are being fulfilled. They pin it up behind the bar, take the carbon copy to the kitchen and then luck kicks in. They never look at it again until someone else does their bit. The reason that we waited an hour is that the waitresses only monitor their own orders and there is no back-up. Once lost, it is lost.

3. No-one does a sweep to see how things are going. So, again, you can just be forgotten until you pipe up.

4. There was no plan for this happening. I paid the full price and had an apology but no discount. I do not mind this - we drank our drinks and so I paid for them. The issue was more that nothing really occurred to them in the service line. She just wanted me out before her manager noticed.

5. Service from all waiters (good and bad) was wild, reactive, panic.

On that basis, I would not generally have been impressed. Even though bad luck or a bad day might have played a part here, I think that this pub is generally below the standards of others in the area (which is well served).

The one other reviewer has had a good experience and, as I noted, there appear to be many happy locals. It is just not my type of place, so I will not go there again.

4  Thank CF y Flia F
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Can't wait to come back here in the summer, great food, great selection of beer and cider and great service.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I took my family here for a Saturday lunchtime meal. Overall the service and quality of food was good. My two issues are with the use of the word "pie" and the size versus price of one of the desserts.
Three of us had the game "pie". To describe a small casserole dish containing a game filling with a puff pastry lid as a pie is misleading. It's a casserole dish with a lid.
The creme brullee was a complete rip-off. To pay £5.50 for something that small and inexpensive to produce compared to the other (fairly) well proportioned puds left our recipient feeling rather cheated. It can't be too difficult to produce a creme brulee of a size that is proportionate to the other desserts, can it?