“Fab and friendly staff. Nothing to much trouble.”
Review of The Georgian Hotel

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Haslemere
Reviewed 26 April 2009

The location of this hotel is great although Haslemere is a quaint oldie worldy town so don't expect nightclubs and entertainment. There are plenty of local restaurants and pubs in walking distance. The train station is about a 7 minute walk and the train links to Waterloo (50 mins) and Portsmouth (40 mins)are great.

The hotel is a pretty Georgian building but also has a rather modern and trendy leisure facility. Swimming pool, gym, sauna and jacuzzi.

The bar and restaurant staff made me feel very welcome and comfortable. I came away feeling I had made new friends.

Very nice visit.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank andyloveskat

Reviewed 14 March 2009

I have been staying here since 2002, an average of 25 nights per year, and love it. The staff are friendly and efficient, and i feel really at home, something usually missing in the large 'corporate' hotels i hate.
My profile, kept between visits, means i usually get the same room each visit, which i like.
The hotel sprawls along the high street, there being some really old bits, along with a relatively new block which also contains a comprehensive fitness centre, used extensively by the locals.
I tend to go out for a meal and drinks in the evening, the centre of Haslemere being charming, and having several good eateries and pubs. This is not a criticism of the hotel facilities, i just prefer to go out. I also feel the area is completely safe for the lone female to frequent.
Overall i give this establishment a high rating, based upon its homely atmosphere, and good location.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank RogerWilko
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We were a little nervous after reading negative reviews, and Reception having almost all of our details wrong! However, after this inauspicious start we enjoyed an inexpensive 2 night stay with a spotless and huge room, nice breakfasts and a cheery bar. The staff were excellent. A real old-fashioned hotel in a delightful old-fashioned town.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dr_AHarrogate
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My wife and I stayed in this hotel as the De Vere Branksome Place was overbooked and they found us alternative accommodation.

I absolutely agree with the earlier comments. We were looking forward to a nice hotel away as our friends were getting married in the area and were really disappointed by the standard of the rooms. The carpets, bedding etc looked 20 yrs old - neither modern nor period.

The breakfast in the morning was just layed out in bain maries and there were no staff around to clear tables, offer you coffee or toast or find you a table in the "breakfast" area.

Quite frankly despite the location and lovely georgian building it just wasn't worth the money compared to other hotels quality and service.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DP1London
Reviewed 27 June 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed there on 19th June as our friends got married at Ramster. The hotel looks lovely on the outside but inside its a cheap refurb nightmare. The room smelled musty and slightly of stale smoke. I could hear when next door flushed their loo and the footsteps of the room above us. If you're looking for somewhere to go and sleep a travelodge would be better. If you're looking for a hotel with a bit of character maybe they have nicer rooms in the original Georgian bit don't stay in the 'new' bit. However the reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank puffbun
Reviewed 6 June 2008

My Husband and I got married here last September. After we'd booked our wedding, we saw the bad reviews on here and were worried, but we needn't have been, we had the most wonderful experience, and loved the hotel-we didn't want to leave! The hotel is right in the high street, however it was not noisy in the hotel, as the road gets pretty quiet over-night. The staff could not do more for us, and the food was great, better than we'd expected actually. Over half our guests also stayed at the hotel, and many commented to us and to the staff that they had had a great stay. The hotel has so much character, it's not like your bog standard modern hotel. There are little windows, and low beams, and creaky floors, but it's lovely, and the whole hotel is spotless.

Since last summer I believe all rooms at the Georgian are now non-smoking, due to the change in the laws. They may have kept a very few rooms as smoking, but i'm not sure. Our bed was comfy, and we did not have any problems that some of the old reviews have mentioned. I'd also like to add that due to my long stay over the wedding, I slept in 3 different rooms (long story, nothing to do with room being bad!), and all 3 rooms had no problems.

There is the old part of the hotel, and the new extension. If you need the lift, then make sure you ask for your room to be in the new part, as there are only stairs in the old part.

We have been back to the hotel to eat since our wedding, and still absolutely love it. We saw some of the staff who were there during our wedding and they remembered us and were very friendly. We had small children staying for our wedding, and they were perfectly happy, as there is a nice swimming pool!

If you'd like a gorgeous quaint hotel with character, in the heart of surrey, then i'd recommend the Georgian. I grew up just outside Haslemere, and it's a lovely town. The train station is within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2007

Stayed there for one night bed and breakfast after a friends 80th Birthday party held in the same hotel. Because of the function the rate was reduced to £75 for the room and breakfasts (two of us). Seems a bit expensive to me but then I cant get it out of my head that in 1970 we had a weeks half board in the hotel Maclaren , Lake Isle of Wight for £17 each. The Georgian House hotel was pleasant enough though and we have no complaints.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haslemere
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham
Premier Inn Farnham
Premier Inn Farnham
#1 of 6 in Farnham

Been to The Georgian Hotel? Share your experiences!