“Father's Day let-down”

Ranked #18 of 35 Restaurants in Haslemere
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: ASK Italian in Haslemere is a place for great food and warm service. Think fresh bread made to tear and share. A glass of fine wine worth deserving of your time. Delicious main dishes prepared the traditional way. Everything we know and love about Italian food is served straight to your table. Take a look at our Haslemere menu and, if you like what you see, book a table.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Father's Day let-down”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It was great to be invited to a Father's Day dinner by my eldest dauighter and her fiancé but, sadly, ASK was a let-down. OK, it was 8pm after what had probably been a pretty frantic day but the most of the staff looked as if they really didn't want any more customers. A couple who came in at 10 to 10 were sent packing.

Despite there being few people eating that later our meals took over an hour to come. Olives that were ordered to have with drinks came with the starters. My own main course was about the size of a starter.

Generally, a place to avoid it seems - and interesting that noone from the establishment seems to bother to respond to the many criticisms on this website.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Banjax2003

“Average!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Had lunch there this is our second visit not brilliant foods is ok service is ok very open & spacious will visit again!

Aldershot, England, United Kingdom
“Never gets any better”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I should learn really by past poor experiences that ASK in Haslemere really is not worth a visit!
Lunchtimes are fairly quiet so you don't get the issue of poor service but the food is not great. I had a simple Spaghetti Pomodoro and it was bland, I am sure that a basic tomato sauce should be easy to make but this one failed on seasoning, the usual big performance over the vast pepper pot didn't really improve things and there was a very low sauce to pasta ratio!
What can I say? I am demanding I know, but surely an Italian restaurant should be able to do the basics well?
On a positive note, the waiting staff were very friendly and competent.

• Visited May 2014
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Won't be back”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We live locally and have eaten here a couple of times in the last 18 months or so. We haven't been there for a meal in about ten months, so we decided to book there again. Although it was a quiet Thursday night, we have a Tastecard which requires you to pre-book. My husband phoned at about 5.30pm to make the booking; I could hear him shouting down the phone and kept repeating himself. When he got off the phone, he told me that there had been loud music blaring in the background, and the person who answered the phone kept saying, "Sorry, I can't hear you!" - go figure!

Anyway, my main issue was with the food. I ordered one of their "new" items on the menu, described as follows:

"Juicy roasted Portobello mushrooms star with baby spinach, roasted plum tomatoes, walnuts and ricotta salata on a freshly baked Fontal cheese flat bread."

What a disappointment. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't what I received. The "freshly baked Fontal cheese flat bread" was exactly the same flat bread that they serve you if you order a garlic bread starter, except this time it had no garlic on it. It was just plain flat bread. It was tasteless and certainly contained no cheese, even by the furthest stretch of the imagination. The "juicy roasted Portobello mushrooms" consisted on ONE mushroom (smaller than Portobello), which was sliced up and meagerly distributed across this vast stretch of tasteless bread. Then there were some raw spinach leaves flung over the top, half a dozen shrivelled-up cooked cherry tomatoes, and some ricotta grated over the top.

Before calling the waiter over, I went to look at a menu again to make sure I had read the description correctly. When I called the waiter, and pointed out that the bread hadn't even the remotest smidgeon of cheese in or on it, and that it certainly shouldn't be described as "freshly baked Fontal cheese bread", he replied with "That's interesting, nobody's ever pointed that out to us before, so we wouldn't have noticed. But it's only been on our menu for a few weeks."

When I told him that the dish wasn't at all what I was expecting, and that it was extremely sparsely topped for the price, and that it had great big gaping areas of tasteless bread with no filling on at all, he replied that that is what the dish is, and unfortunately they cannot change how the dish is made.

He took it away and brought me a pasta dish instead, which got delivered with a "Thanks for being so understanding" remark. Hmmm.

As a side note, my husband's calzone was not the best, and the filling was all stuffed in the middle. There was about 12cm of folded-over dough with no filling in it whatsoever. Another waste of half a plate of food.

We didn't enjoy our meal after that, and couldn't wait to get out. We walked up to the pub afterwards to have a drink, and enviously watched people eating food that looked good and that they looked like they were enjoying! Wished we'd just eaten at the pub instead!

Haslemere, United Kingdom
“Very poor”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I live very close and the smell at night can draw you in, however the staff are too lazy and are really just boys, prices are too high for the standard. Also couldn't believe after an evening there and being back at home the STAFF ARE PLAYING FOOTBALL IN THE STREET!! Smashing the ball up and down the road at around 11pm!!!! This is taking the piss. Not worth the money, give it to a friend instead.