“Evening meal”

The Bridge Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bridge Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #234 of 1,262 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: ���Tyne and dine��� at Newcastle���s Bridge Restaurant, with its spectacular views over the River Tyne and the soaring arc of the Tyne Bridge. The restaurant is in the Vermont Hotel, a Manhattan-style 1930s tower right next to the remains of the city���s medieval castle and close to the revitalised Quayside area. Start with marinated herring with crisp pancetta and honey-mustard vinaigrette or the more substantial confit duck and red onion tart tatin. Then dig in to baked lamp rump with minted lentils and garlic potatoes, or pan-seared wild salmon, braised spring cabbage and clam casserole.You may think you���ll be able to resist the milk chocolate cr��me br��l��e with Bailey���s ice-cream, but that���s only because you���ll fall for the steamed lemon sponge with vanilla cr��me fra��che instead.
“Evening meal”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Service was really good everyone was pleasant.
The food was delicious and the portions were huge. We couldn't finish it all!
We used our gourmet society membership card giving a great discount.
Great location, great food, great service, great price!
We will be visiting again.

“Great Service”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The best bit of my experience was the friendly service, the waiter who served me was very friendly, helpful and attentive. My starter of smoked salmon was delicious. However, the main I ordered (vegetable hotpot) came out cold in the middle.
The waiter was very apologetic, took it back and the chef sent out a very hot new one as well as a complimentary rocket salad dish (very random!). Although this dish was hot, there were quite a few parts of it which didn't taste so good - the carrots tasted like processed frozen carrots.
Wouldn't make an effort to come here again, however it's a good thing the waiter was top notch, otherwise I would've felt very dissatisfied.

• Visited February 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“afternoon tea”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Myself and a group of friends booked for afternoon tea when we arrived placed our order tea and drinks arrived after 15 minutes we then waited one hour and a quarter for our food to arrive.We did ask staff how much longer our food was going to be after waiting an hour and the staff were surly and dismissive said it would be there soon whilst walking away from us, when asking a 2nd person said she would check I explained by this time our drinks were cold she said she would get more and the food would arrive 5 minutes later the hot drinks 15 minutes after that, there was no apology or explanation. For a hotel of this standard the tea was poor value for money as a party of seven the amount served was more for four people and the service was terrible I certainly would never go back and defintley would not recommend this hotel

1 Thank Lorraine S
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food ok but service appalling ”
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I went with my daughter for an after work meal. We were the only people in the restaurant throughout our meal.

We had the pick of tables and the restaurant was lovely and although empty it had a nice atmosphere. The young waitress came with the menu promptly and then came to take the food order. After the food was ordered we had to ask her if we could order drinks.

The waitress was obviously new and she asked what sauces we wanted with our steak, but then had to check what sauces there were! We ordered steak which was cooked as ordered, arrived promptly and was presented well.

However after a minute we had to go and find the waitress to ask for steak knives as we were obviously not going to be provided with them!!

Food was nice, nothing to complain about but I would class it as good pub food. We ordered desserts which arrived quite promptly and again we had to get up to find the waitress to ask for dessert spoons!!!!

I asked for the bill and it arrived in her hand and not on a plate. Again after a good few minutes I had to get up to find the waitress again to ask her to take our payment, I then had to go out of the restaurant and pay at reception??

The waitress was a pleasant but never once apologised when we had to ask for cutlery or drinks.

I did not leave a tip. I have never had such terrible service and this was made worse as we were the only people in the restaurant. I don't blame the young waitress as it was apparent that she had very little if any basic waitressing and customer service training.

I agree with previous reviews that this place could be very special but management need to start improving training for their staff.

Would I go back... Probably not due to the poor service.

1 Thank justloveholidays7_13
Northumberland
“Reasonable food, poor service, needs strong management”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Had a meal at the restaurant with a group of friends. It was not cheap and the meal did not really live up to the pricing nor our expectations. Food was reasonable, steak was pretty good but service was very poor, inattentive and extremely slow. Junior staff did not appear to know what they were doing although the restaurant supervisor was pleasant and did her best to deal with our complaints. This place has great potential but appears in desperate need of strong and visible management.
The bar service afterwards was again slow and mixed cocktails were awful. We won't be rushing back as we were pretty disappointed

• Visited December 2013