“Rubbish”

Ranked #217 of 1,261 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$7 - US$39
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tiger Tiger in Newcastle is a happening, laid-back location for lunch, casual meals, and late night dining. It’s a huge venue with multiple zones and enough going on to keep you bouncing all night long until early the next morning. The restaurant has a chic Manhattan-style dining room offering a taste of New York every night right though to midnight. The smart décor features dark wood and dark leathers that set a sophisticated tone. If your looking for something more private we have 3 private dining rooms all with a different theme.The gourmet burger, handmade from rump steak, is the signature dish, but The Restaurant's menu features most of your favourites from starters of handpicked crab to mains of fish and chips, steaks, the aforementioned burgers, vegetarian alternatives, and desserts like Jammy dodger cheesecake or Oreo Sundae.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Rubbish”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Not a venue I tend to visit too often as it is usually full of stag/hen parties and the beer is pricey but I noticed they now take the Tastecard discount card so decided to give their food a try since we were looking for somewhere to go for a family birthday meal.

The first problem came when booking, no answer on the number listed on their website despite several attempts between 12 and 2.30. Submitted an online booking form but got no email response. Eventually got through on the phone at 2.50 (we were meeting at 3) and told them about the problems I had trying to book. I was told they would get back to me tomorrow once the sales team were in to respond to my online query. I advised we were trying to book for today and was told they didn't open until 4, even though the hours listed on their site were 12-10. We rearranged our plans a bit and decided we would still go and booked a table for 4.

We got there and the place was empty, which was expected since it had just opened for the day, but there were no staff in sight either. Eventually we were seated, in the bar, not the restaurant like I had asked. The bar staff hadn't been told about Tastecard so had to ring the manager to check. Eventually we ordered our food, from the menu it seemed quite pricey so I anticipated good quality.

After an hour or so I asked the barmaid if our food was going to take much longer and was told our starters were on their way. After another 15 minutes had passed, a waiter arrived at our table with our mains in his hands and said "is it okay to give you starters and mains all together as we are understaffed" to which one of my party noted "You have them in your hands so you're not leaving us much choice!" Anyway the food itself was not good, you get better quality at a Wetherspoons for half the price. Some of the food was cold, some hot, some dishes had ingredients not listed on the menu, the chilli burger had next to no chilli on it, the chilli dog was laced with onions but no sign of chilli....I could go on. The barmaid we dealt with was clearly embarrassed by the whole thing, she had only recently started and clearly should have been given better training and not left alone in the bar. All in all I was not impressed and I doubt I'll go back. Avoid!

1 Thank steviemac14
Jemma C, Sales Manager at Tiger Tiger - Newcastle, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hi Stevie,

Firstly thank you for leaving us feedback. We appreciate all comments and rely on the honesty of our customers to help improve our service.

If you could e-mail details of your experience to our manager louise.dixon@novusleisure.com she would like to be able to respond to you personally on this matter.

We strive to provide the best service possible to all of our customers and I do apologise that we did not do that for you on this occasion.

Kind regards

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cocktail making fantastic fun!!!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Had a cocktail making class for a friends 50th birthday, it was such a laugh. Liam the barman was great, he got everyone involved and made it great fun for everyone. He got a hard time from all us women but he took it well and enjoyed the banter. I would recommend the class to anyone and I cant wait to do it again.

Hi Shezza,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it's always great to hear that our customers have had an enjoyable time.

Our cocktail classes are one of our most popular activities and for good reason it seems! I'll pas son your thanks to Liam, and I'm sure you didn't give him too much of a hard time!

I do hope to see you on your next visit to Newcastle

Kind regards

Gateshead
“Great Hen Night”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

13 of my friends and family had a cocktail master class with Rich on the 26th of July 2014 for my hen night. There was 13 bar stools along the bar in the Groovy wonderland room with a funky flower neck garland for each of us. We mixed a few cocktails and platters of food were brought over. Rich was fantastic and just want to say thanks to all of the staff who helped us and especially Rich!

Thanks!!!

Hi Jo Jo,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your cocktail class, as you can see by our page, it's definitely one of our most popular activities.

I will pass your thanks on to Rich too.

I do hope we see you again soon, maybe next time you can try one of our table packages or some karaoke!

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Leaving Meal - Highly recommended”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I booked a table for a Wednesday night for 11 people for my leaving do from work / joint birthday. The lady advised that I would get a confirmation booking through email and asked if I wanted any balloons on the table, to which I replied yes.

We arrived at Tiger Tiger early and sat through the bar for some drinks. Through the week, its half price on all drinks from 5-9 which is great. The lay out of the bar is very calm and classy.

We arrived through to the restaurant and our table was set up with our balloons. The restaurant was empty so we had the full attention of the waiter which is always good to have.

There was a special menu which had 50% off and included lamb, cod, steak etc. I opted for the Land and Sea (Sirloin steak with prawns and Scallops - 2 prawns and 1 scallop). The steak was cooked to perfection, just as I asked. I would highly recommend this. As I say, 50% off £19.95 is a delight for this meal!

The waiter was very attentive and polite. The décor and atmosphere with nice music was perfect for a catch up and relaxing evening.

Everyone else in our company praised the food and would all recommend to friends and family.

2 Thank sophiehunter26
Jemma C, Manager at Tiger Tiger - Newcastle, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hi Sophie,

Thank you so much for this lovely feedback. It's always nice to see that our customers enjoying their nights.

I have passed your thanks on to our restaurant staff and the chefs, they were very appreciative.

We do hope to see you again for your next event, maybe you can try something new like cocktail making or Karaoke!

Hullbridge, United Kingdom
“Cocktail lessons for hen do”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Brilliant experience, didn't stop laughing all the way through and the staff Rachel and Luke made the experience so much more fun and enjoyable.

Visited July 2014
Hi Casie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As you can see from our page, everyone loves a cocktail class.

I'll pass your thanks on to Rachel and Luck and we'll look forward to seeing you next time.