“Birthday & university reunion made special!”

Kensington House Aparthotel
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I was celebrating my 26th birthday last weekend, and decided to book a trip to Newcastle with my housemates from university who I have stayed close with since graduating a few years ago. Once I had this idea, I found it surprisingly difficult to find any suitable apartment-based accommodation that catered for 5 people. We wanted to avoid a hotel because the idea of having dinner and drinks together in a shared apartment appealed to us, and meant we could make the most of our short time back together in each other's company.

I had found the Kensington House Aparthotel during my searches but couldn't see any accomodation that they offered that was suitable for 5 people. It was actually by chance that I discovered another TripAdvisor review that said they were able to provide an extra bed in a 4-bed apartment, to allow 5 guests to stay in total. This was perfect for us. We were charged £50 extra for this, but this was an acceptable cost.

The communication and booking process with Kensington House was professional from the outset and they were friendly and easy to deal with.

We travelled from London so arrived at around 11.30pm at night, and the late night porter checked us in no problem. We did find the entry key pad to our apartment 'building' quite temperamental and found the number '1' on the key pad quite unresponsive at times.

The interior of the building is lovely, well designed and smells great! The apartment itself was perfect, great value and really comfortable. We all commented that we could see ourselves living somewhere like this together(!)

There were some obvious signs of wear and tear, with some stains on the carpet and the kitchen tap was quite leaky, but all in all it's in good condition. Unexpected touches such as a hairdryer and bathroom toiletries were useful for us. Although when one of the guests wanted to take a bath, we were disappointed to find there was no bath plug and when we called Reception the night porter told us "I've just given away the last one! I can perhaps try and get you one tomorrow?"... I've never been to a hotel before where you've had to request a bath plug! We used our initiative and instead put an egg cup in the plug hole to stop the water from emptying the bath, so our friend could relax after the long journey up from London.

There were a few other things that could have been done to give the apartment that "good as new, just moved in" feeling - there was a left over croissant that had been put in the freezer and the dishwasher wasn't empty when we arrived.

Reception dealt with our request for a late check-out efficiently, and the charge was good value for a few extra hours following a night out. Check-out on the Sunday was friendly too.

We would definitely return on our next visit to Newcastle. The property was in a great location and was far enough away from the bars of Osborne Road not to worry about noise, but close enough to be able to take advantage of them also! Great location also for the Jesmond Metro station.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
GillHall, General Manager at Kensington House Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you for your review, I am pleased your party enjoyed your stay with us, we did have a problem with bath plugs but that has all been rectified now, we look forward to seeing you all again in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Great Location for getting out and about in Newcastle. Just off the city centre and opposite a Metro Station. Stylishly decorated with every amenity you would require the Kensington House Aparthotel is definitely a place to stay. There is ample free parking at the front and rear of the Hotel.

Room Tip: Osborne Road has a great selection of pubs, Diners and Restaurants suitable for every occasion.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
GillHall, General Manager at Kensington House Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Really good value (during week)
Always clean and fixtures of good quality
Good location
We have stayed several times in the last year , no complaints at all
Gets very busy at weekends but no complaints , apartments are nice & modern
Complementary juice in fridge or a vending machine would be great tho

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
GillHall, General Manager at Kensington House Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review for us, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, during the week we have started putting orange juice cereal and water in the apartments, we look froward to seeing you again in the future

Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

I don't want this review to be a slanging match, I merely want to point out where there could be improvements.

The apartment itself was great for what we needed & worked out much better value than a hotel. It was modern, had a spacious living area and cosy bedrooms. The bathroom & kitchen were very modern & having a utility area is a fantastic idea. The location was fine for us as we used taxis & was only a 10 min journey. It would be naive to suggest that the apartments were spotless but it wasn't an issue.

The one issue I had was the attitude of the staff when first checking in. As soon as they were aware we were there for a 21st, by some of the comments it would seem they had preconceptions of us. Firstly we were told "I hope you're not going to wreck the place" - I found that a little insulting. And "if anything is not as you found it, we will charge the card that we have on file." Both of which are common sense - it was the manner that irate me.

The balance had to be paid straight away and we wanted to pay part cash/part card. we were told by what I assume was the manager: "the receptionist is training and I think you need to sort something out because this just isn't going to work, and you're confusing her". Firstly, I understand that - its more of a faff however, it could have been dealt with better. We shouldn't have felt like an inconvenience & her frustration shouldn't have shown. Secondly - the manner was rude and they should be grateful for our custom. And thirdly, the training of the staff (which we know at some point has to happen) was not our problem. They should have been apologising for the not so swift service, not making us feel like the burden was placed on us to make it as easy as possible. At the end of the day, a lot more stressful situations will happen before she's finished in that job.

We were told that "we weren't to bring males back" at the end of the night out. Again, presumptuous. We paid a flat rate that catered for 8, so it was a little irritating to be told we couldn't exercise our entitlement. It felt like we were being watched constantly, just waiting for a member of staff to come and tell us another rule. At the end of the day people pay the privilege for accommodation and to use the space for whatever means, providing they respect the space & other guests.

I think they were dubious about our age group & there is other reviews with similar complaints. I feel if they don't want younger groups to book, they should endorse an over 21/25 policy then neither parties would feel uncomfortable for whatever reasons. Ironic that they are quite happy to take your money though.

The service we received wasn't four star, although after this debacle the staff were very pleasant. Too late was the cry - first impressions!

Other minor points - kitchen could have had another clean, there wasn't enough towels provided, nor breakfast in one of the apartments & would recommend putting 2 apartments of the same booking together.

I would stay again despite it, as it was perfect for our usage. Although I think the manner in which the staff speak to guests & the way things can be interpreted really does need to be reviewed. There would have been others in that situation that would have walked out. I also think the preconceptions should be kept to yourself. Our money is just as good as anyone's regardless of our age.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank lozorro92

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. All comments good or bad can help us to improve.

I agree your apartments should have been together this was an oversight on the receptions part, and there should have been no reason why you could not pay part cash and part card on arrival.

I apologise there was not enough towels, reception would have brought some over if you had telephoned from your apartment.

We do not have pre concieved ideas about our guests we expect them to treat the apartments and our terms and conditions with respect, and you are correct training staff has nothing to do with our clients and should not have been pointed out, however people should not make assumptions either I was not on duty 'assumed was the manager' at the time of your check, if I ahd it would have been entirely different.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Gillian Hall General Manager

Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel we had originally booked to stay at became overbooked and as a result we were offered alternative rooms here, which couldn't have worked out better! The hotel was centrally located and taxi's into town were only a few pounds between the 7 of us. Staff were so friendly and helpful and were more than welcoming to say we had been booked in last minute. The apartments themselves were great - very clean and tidy, plenty of room to get ready and so nicely decorated. Would love to come again for a longer stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review for us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Great place to stay on a regular basis and beats hotels any time. The staff are friendly, especially Ruth - what a great asset she is to the company, I hope they realise what a gem she is.

The apartments are 'plush', very comfortable, everything you need to keep you independent - especially with Waitrose up the road!! A great place to stay if you want to sit and eat your porridge in your pyjamas, if you know what I mean.

Room Tip: All the apartments are good, most with the bedrooms at the back so guaranteed to be peaceful.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review for us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, Ruth is very helpful as are all the team and it makes it all worth while when guests enjoy their stay we look forward toseeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I booked this hotel in February and requested a room on a low floor and a large bed. When we checked in on Saturday afternoon we were told the room was on the top floor and there was no lift! The reason I had requested a low floor is that my husband has two artificial hip joint replacements which are about to be replaced due to pain. The receptionist said she had ignored the request for a low floor in favour of giving us a large bed even though I requested the low floor first. The bed was a normal double anyway so in my opinion she had ignored both requests. To make up for the error we were given a complimentary breakfast which consisted of 2 soft croissants and 2 boxes of sugar coated cornflakes which we didn't eat as both looked so unhealthy! Needless to say we will not be returning to this aparthotel. Very disappointing!

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs then stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
GillHall, General Manager at Kensington House Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, we are sorry we have disappointed you on this occasion. We try our best to accommodate guests requests but this is not always possible, as we explain when requests are made. We ares sorry you feel unable to stay with us again because of this.