I was celebrating my 26th birthday last weekend, and decided to book a trip to Newcastle with my housemates from university who I have stayed close with since graduating a few years ago. Once I had this idea, I found it surprisingly difficult to find any suitable apartment-based accommodation that catered for 5 people. We wanted to avoid a hotel because the idea of having dinner and drinks together in a shared apartment appealed to us, and meant we could make the most of our short time back together in each other's company.
I had found the Kensington House Aparthotel during my searches but couldn't see any accomodation that they offered that was suitable for 5 people. It was actually by chance that I discovered another TripAdvisor review that said they were able to provide an extra bed in a 4-bed apartment, to allow 5 guests to stay in total. This was perfect for us. We were charged £50 extra for this, but this was an acceptable cost.
The communication and booking process with Kensington House was professional from the outset and they were friendly and easy to deal with.
We travelled from London so arrived at around 11.30pm at night, and the late night porter checked us in no problem. We did find the entry key pad to our apartment 'building' quite temperamental and found the number '1' on the key pad quite unresponsive at times.
The interior of the building is lovely, well designed and smells great! The apartment itself was perfect, great value and really comfortable. We all commented that we could see ourselves living somewhere like this together(!)
There were some obvious signs of wear and tear, with some stains on the carpet and the kitchen tap was quite leaky, but all in all it's in good condition. Unexpected touches such as a hairdryer and bathroom toiletries were useful for us. Although when one of the guests wanted to take a bath, we were disappointed to find there was no bath plug and when we called Reception the night porter told us "I've just given away the last one! I can perhaps try and get you one tomorrow?"... I've never been to a hotel before where you've had to request a bath plug! We used our initiative and instead put an egg cup in the plug hole to stop the water from emptying the bath, so our friend could relax after the long journey up from London.
There were a few other things that could have been done to give the apartment that "good as new, just moved in" feeling - there was a left over croissant that had been put in the freezer and the dishwasher wasn't empty when we arrived.
Reception dealt with our request for a late check-out efficiently, and the charge was good value for a few extra hours following a night out. Check-out on the Sunday was friendly too.
We would definitely return on our next visit to Newcastle. The property was in a great location and was far enough away from the bars of Osborne Road not to worry about noise, but close enough to be able to take advantage of them also! Great location also for the Jesmond Metro station.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New to 2008, Kensington House Aparthotel is ideally located next to Jesmond Metro Station with easy access to Newcastle Centre and the airport. Set in the exclusive cosmopolitan Jesmond area, Kensington House Apartments offer stylish contemporary accommodation in a great setting. With a wide range of bars and restaurants on the doorstep and the city centre just minutes away, these two bedroom apartments are an ideal base for business and leisure travellers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kensington House Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kensington House Aparthotel Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Kensington Hotel Aparthotel