“First visit - quite impressed!”
Review of Bistro Forty Six

Bistro Forty Six
Price range: US$25 - US$95
Cuisines: European, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A modern European bistro with an intimate atmosphere and friendly staff. We source local game, seafood and vegetables for our seasonal and changing menu. Tuesdays to Sundays all-time classics are served up alongside delicious daily specials. Lunchtime and early evening fixed price menus are complemented by a seasonal A la Carte. Sunday is dedicated to traditional roast dinners and Tuesday night is all about steak - Two dine for £27.95 with drinks.
Blyth, United Kingdom
“First visit - quite impressed!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Bistro Fourty6, Jesmond

High expectations after reading many of the mainly ‘excellent & good’ TA reports, but was perhaps a bit underwhelmed . I was hoping it would have been a bit more plush & up-market. Simply furnished with mainly plain décor, wooden topped table and modern, high backed chairs. About 17 people dined whilst we were there - an early Friday evening. The place is fairly small, but with huge mirrors, it looks much bigger. Seating for approx. 25.
Plus points - excellent food, well presented with pleasant service. Good menu with several seafood choices. Some lovely ‘specials’. Menu varied daily. The wine offered as part of the ‘Living Social’ deal was very pleasant, both red & white. (and ‘yes’, I did have red wine with the prawns, white with the Sea Bass - see photo’s)
Minus points - Parking can be tricky due to the ‘residents permit / ticket’ system. Just 50p per hour until 6.30pm. 1/3 of the lamps were ‘out’ in the chandeliers. Flimsy paper serviettes. Toilets are in the basement, about 12 steps.

25 04 14

Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Amazing food and excellent service!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

First time to visit this restaurant and we were really impressed! We both had belly pork pieces with black pudding for starters which was amazing and absolutely delicious! My husband had the beef with new potatoes and veg for main and I had steak with sautéed potatoes which again were to a high standard. The service was excellent...one gentleman working the bar&tables and was more efficient than other restaurants with 5 people doing the job! The restaurant was immaculate not a finger mark on any mirrors and the light fittings etc sparkling clean...will definitely visit again!

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Will give it another go”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Went during the week during happy hour. We were the only customers there for the majority of our meal and as expected we received excellent service throughout. The menu had a great variety however Scallops (part of most meals) were not available which left my partner very disappointed, will return to try them soon.

Starters were good but nothing special, I ordered the goats cheese ravioli but I think it was more a poor choice for myself rather than anything wrong with the food. My partner ordered the lamb for his main, it looked lovely and he said it tasted nice too. I ordered the steak (rare) but unfortunately came med-well done. I did not complain, (I don't agree with wasting food!) but I am very sure they would have replaced it had I have asked. Would have been nice for it to be right first time though.

Portion sizes were generous and with the happy hour deal and a bottle of wine it only came to £51.

The food wasn't flawless but the extensive menu and the excellent customer service mean that we will definitely try it again in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Pretty Average”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Unfortunately yet another poor experience with a Groupon deal. It was full of promise as the waiter was very helpful and advised that the food was really good. However, it did not live up to expectations. The tiger prawns were not tiger prawns, they were shrimps and were overcooked. The Sea Bass was tasty but small portions and not really worth writing home about! Service good.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Intrepidhoneymooners
newcastle, UK
“Very poor ”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The starters were abysmal. My friend had the 'roasted' peach and goats cheese salad which should be advertised as tinned peaches in syrup with minuscule bits of goats cheese salad. My starter of tiger prawns in chilli and garlic was overcooked as the prawns were chewy and tough, and there was also a slice of stale bread that was soggy. There was no evidence of any real chillies as chilli oil was used.
The mains didn't fare any better. My risotto was watery. The rice have not been broken down enough for it to develop a creamy consistency. The open Mediterranean vegetable lasagne lacked seasoning and was disappointing as a dish.
The table next to us were praising their dishes and they did look lovely. Maybe we just made wrong choices from the menu? Or they should just concentrate on serving good quality dishes rather than having more dishes and compromising on the quality.

5 Thank N_L56