“Good Special Table D’Hote Menu”
Review of The Cherry Tree

The Cherry Tree
Price range: US$19 - US$45
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: This fabulous restaurant was opened in April 2008, and was completely re-designed creating a simply stunning experience with a light modern feel. Featuring a mezzanine floor with glass balustrade and open spiral staircase but retaining some of the old features of the building, previously the Jesmond telephone exchange and Scout shop. The restaurant includes a bar/lounge reception and a private dining/meeting room.The Cherry Tree aims to provide the best modern British food in the North East created by a passionate brigade of chefs. Service is friendly and welcoming creating a warm, relaxed atmosphere including provision for families with children. Live background music is played on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. Open from midday until late Tuesday to Saturday and from 12 to 8pm on Sunday.An ideal place to dine for bruch/lunch/dinner: romantic evenings, entertaining business clients, meetings, private dining, large group parties, child friendly, music lovers. For events and offers visit our website.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good Special Table D’Hote Menu”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We came here during lunch time on a Saturday, when we went in we were greeted by a friendly waitress. There was a Special 3 courses fixed price menu being offered, the price for 2 courses was £12.50 for lunch and £16 for dinner. I had a Szechuan pepper squid, Asian noodle salad, lime and coriander to start off with, the flavour of the squid was nice and not over-powering and the texture was right and not chewy. The only thing that this dish let me down was the "Asian noodle"; it was actually instant noodles and in my opinion would have been better if it was rice vermicelli. For main I had the rump steak, the steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare as I requested, the portion of the whole dish was generous and the sauce with it matched the steak. The service throughout the whole meal was attentive yet not over the top. I would definitely visit this place again.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Amazing 'early doors' deal!! ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It's on all night in a Mon-Weds and is the best early/set menu I've had in Newcastle. My beetroot and goats cheese salad was really tasty (saving room for my main of steak!!) Rump steak, medium rare with chips, salad, onion ring, mushroom and tomato... all for £16 for 2 courses!!! My boyfriends soufflé and belly pork were really tasty too. As we are greedy we shared a tart for pudding but as the portions are large this was purely because we wanted something sweet. Sometimes with early doors deals the quality of the food is lacking but this was not the case here. Recommend!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“The cherry on top...”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We first discovered The Cherry Tree about 4 years ago after reading some favourable reviews in Trip Advisor. We have had a number of memorable meals here during the intervening period. About 18-24 months ago, the ownership/management of the restaurant changed, and while the quality of the cooking stayed the same and perhaps even improved, the service, which was formerly a bit slow, became very good indeed.

On our most recent visit for dinner a week ago we were able to easily park, for free, in nearby Eslington Terrace. We were initially seated in the lounge and given menus to review and order from, as well as being offered drinks. After being shown to our table, we were served some fresh bread and a bowl with an olive selection. While the bread is always fresh here, it is a rather bland white bread and it would be good to see a more varied selection offered.

3 of us ordered starters and and all were well prepared, including a leek & potato soup, a tuna carpaccio and a confit chicken. Our party was split between fish and meat courses for the mains, which made selecting a wine a little tricky. The Cherry Tree has an interesting wine list, with a good choice available in the £22-27 range. While a pinot noir might have been a good compromise, we opted for the Old Vine Zinfandel from California, which was very enjoyable and did not overpower the 2 fish courses. On the meat side, there were orders of Loin of Lamb and Rose Veal at our table, both of which were well prepared. I had an excellent pan-fried sea trout and my only quibble was that it was a bit small. My wife had a very good piece of halibut fillet, which was weakened somewhat by the accompanying sauce, which while not served on the fish, had some spice that diminished its delicacy.

The desserts were all well prepared and tasty and included a mousse, lemon tart, apple parfait and singing hinnies - a Geordie version of warmed welsh cakes and ice cream. The pastry chef here clearly takes some time to create desserts that are a cut above the often bland versions of old favourites you get elsewhere.Their filter coffee is excellent and we all finished our meals with a cup each.

My only quibble with The Cherry Tree is that they add a 10% service charge to all bills. I think this is a good idea for large parties but am in two minds about the practice for smaller groups. While we will nearly always pay 10% or even more for good service, it should be the diners' choice. I'm also never sure, even when I ask, if all of a mandatory service charge goes to the staff as opposed to the owner. On the other hand, if it was introduced because the restaurant found that many diners either did not tip or left a paltry one, I have some sympathy for the practice, especially with such good and attentive service.

I almost overlooked the fact that The Cherry Tree usually has live entertainment on weekend and some other nights and we enjoyed some soft and expertly played guitar music while we were dining. On other occasions, we've been heard some excellent pianists, singers and trios or quartets. It is another little touch that makes a meal here memorable.

Reservations are easy to make and we've always been able to get a table at a time close to we wanted with 3-5 days notice. You can also order from a specially-priced, fixed course menu for early, weeknight dining.

1 Thank sas262
“Great value for money!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Great service, great food and very lovely atmosphere. I highly recommend this place. If you happen to order from the mixed menu, make sure you order the rump steak!

“Fantastic Food Fantastic Value Fantastic service”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Having just come from Sweden which demands excellent food but has poor service and is expensive it was a joy to discover this fab restaurant in Jesmond. Great choice loved the Seabass loved the sticky toffee pudding 3 courses £15.50 great value and great service.