“Forgot how good this place is!”
Review of Caffe Vivo

Caffe Vivo
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Vivo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #159 of 1,305 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$27 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Manors
Description: Italian at heart, the mood at the Quayside Caffe Vivo is lively, the style relaxed. Cafe by day, simple supper place at night, it's food is honest, joyful and full of sunshine.
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I can't believe it's been probably a year since my last visit here. We spent so long deciding on our dishes that we had to send the waiter away. Even after the extra time I still didn't know what I wanted because there was so many dishes I wanted to try, so I had to make a choice and stick with it. Luckily, being 4 of us dining, I could try everyone else's, being a greedy girl. I decided on the asparagus with romesco sauce. There was about 3 starters I wanted, but made a seasonal choice, as the asparagus season is almost done. It was delish. I then tried everyone else's starters, all soooo good. For mains I went with the brill fish special. I've never been a brill fan, but had faith Cafe Vivo would restore my faith which they did. The brill was cooked with pancetta and crushed jersey royals, it was very tasty. I love the variety of food here, it's an Italian, but not like the usual cheap and cheerful that all taste the same. Love and care is put into the food at Cafe Vivo. If you are looking for the regular plain pizza, pasta dishes, go somewhere else, but if you are looking for an Italian taste explosion this is your place. There's something to suit everyone, even those with a sweet tooth with the amazing desserts. I'll be back very soon because there's so much on the menu I want to try next.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We arrived fairly late on a Tuesday evening, and found a warm but relaxed welcome. I had squid to start, which was nicely done (how lovely to have squid which is not deep fried!). My companion had a very good soup. We both had the Tuscan style slow cooked venison which was wonderful - herby and very Italian in style. Excellent and reasonably priced too. I would have rated it excellent, but the squid was a bit chewy!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Have to agree with the comments below regarding the Secret Diner in the Newcastle Journal. He normally gets it spot on and I agree whole heartedly with his 5* judgements but while Vivo is a good/solid restaurant their are stronger Italians in Newcastle and Laybourne's Cafe 21 is far superior to Vivo. Can't see how the received the same rating from the Journal?

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Generally this is good for a pre theatre meal and many people really like it. On my last visit (7th May 14) however I had an appallingly tasteless and dry frittata which was barely edible. My lemoncello flavoured dessert was however delightful. I notice that " secret diner" in "The Journal" raves about caffe vivo so I thought I would have to make my own less gushing observation.

1  Thank hmc003
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went to Caffe Vivo with 10 friends and we all had great food and we were especially impressed with the fish dishes that were on offer especially the daily specials. Good service, food and drink.