“Really good value in Restaurant Week”
Review of Caffe Vivo

Caffe Vivo
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Vivo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #190 of 1,261 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$26 - US$39
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Manors
Description: Italian at heart, the mood at the Quayside Caffe Vivo is lively, the style relaxed. Cafe by day, simple supper place at night, it's food is honest, joyful and full of sunshine.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Really good value in Restaurant Week”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My parents and I went along to Caffe Vivo, having completely forgotten it was Restaurant Week. Fortunately, the friendly waitress checked, found that there would be a free table in 15 minutes, and told us to wait next door in the Broad Chare, and she would come and find us. She did, and we enjoyed a very good quality meal. Given that it was Restaurant Week, the food was very good value for the money - reasonable-sized portions, and absolutely delicious. We really enjoyed ourselves and will come back!

• Visited August 2014

“most terrible Italian food we have ever had”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Take my advice: AVOID this restaurant. Had a greasy chicken stock with some rice floating in it -they call it risotto - + a miniature skate + chewy undercooked ribs + overpriced unremarkable vine.

Noisy, expensive for low quality food, confused waitresses: WASTE OF MONEY

Cramlington, United Kingdom
“Was a bit disappointed!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and my husband had been wanting to try this restaurant for a while, so when we seen it was restaurant week in Newcastle we thought we would give it a try. First impressions were very good, I had booked in advance, and I was pleased I had as the restaurant was very busy on arrival! We were promptly seated and given two menus, one was the special for restaurant week and the other their normal menu. We opted for the special which was two courses for £10 or 3 courses for £15. We both had the same starter which was some meats on a plate with crostini which did have a topping on but I can't remember what that was, the starter was okay nothing special to be honest but not offensive! For the main's I chose the salted cod with chickpea and parsley stew, my other half had the belly ribs. When my main came I was so disappointed to see the cod had been shredded into the dish and when I tucked in there was hardly any fish at all mainly chickpeas and parsley! Because of this my dish was very bland. Was a real let down for a restaurant of this standard, may be I was just unlucky and I have read other reviews where people have been more than happy with the dish. My husband's dish was nice but once again nothing special! We both opted for dessert which was peach and almond tart, once again this was just 'okay'. Overall I was glad we had tried this restaurant when the special was on and I would't have been happy if we had paid full price for those dishes. This is my personal opinion and I know from reading other reviews that people really enjoy the food here. Though I would be reluctant to return if the food is of that standard normally. I must add though the staff were very good and there is a nice atmosphere in the restaurant.

England
“Disappointing service”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Have been here many times over the years and always enjoyed the food and atmosphere.

We dined on Saturday night and wasn't sure what to expect beforehand given the Head Chef left recently. There has always been a good choice on blackboards as the a la Carte menu is not particularly big. However this time I found the choices quite limited if you didn't like seafood.

Service started off well - we were quickly taken to our seats and drinks order taken. Food order taken promptly. Starters arrived quickly and we both enjoyed the Zucchini and Parmesan soup that we'd spotted on the blackboard. Piping hot and delicious.

After that is where it went wrong. We were waiting an inordinately long time for 2 quite simple main courses: Calves Liver and Griiled Quail. Not exactly rocket science there in terms of cooking. It finally arrived and whilst we thought the dishes were tasty, the standard of cooking was not as high as it had been in our opinion.

Once we'd had the main courses, I decided not to bother with dessert as I didn't want what was left of the evening to have disappeared waiting for service.

Left feeling slightly disappointed and thinking that they'd didn't need to push the very good levels of service that they once had because people were still coming through the doors based on past reputation. Have dined in other parts of the Laybourne group recently: Broad Chare, Bistro 21 and Cafe 21. Service in all and consistency of food quality/presentation of those was far superior to what we experienced on Saturday

1 Thank Arriverderci
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Taking their reputation for granted”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

There is no denying that Cafe' Vivo has a great reputation and a restaurant does not get a good reputation by being poor. So my only conclusion is that I visited on an off night... Having said that, I know that I am fussy... both when it comes to the quality of the food and of the service... Both are vital to a good dining experience.

It was restaurant week in Newcastle last week, so a few friends and I decided to take advantage of the special deals and visit a few places, Cafe' Vivo being the first one, on Tuesday.

I am not going to bore you with too many specific details ... but basically it was not up to the expectations I had set for the place considering its reputation.

The service was verging on terrible, having to wait for ages for drinks - or even to just order them! The menu selection for Restaurant Week wasn't bad, but not exciting either.

If this was supposed to be used as an opportunity to expand their client base, it would really not serve them well with such an unimaginative selection. My antipasto was boring, my risotto was tasteless - I had to smother it in Parmesan to get a hint of flavour - and the only salvation came in shape of an almond and apricot tart for dessert, which I have to admit was absolutely delicious. Bu the slow service and attitude of some of the staff had already marked the experience in a negative way by that point.

Coming from a service industry myself, I just find it so frustrating when some businesses seem to give the impression that they have to stop trying, simply because the have already achieved the reputation they aspired to. Well that reputation won't last if evenings like last tuesday will be experienced by others.

2 Thank Alexfromeden