“Great nighnt away”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
“Great nighnt away”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Hotel du vin was a great choice for a night away for myself and my girlfriend. &99 for the room which was spacious and clean.

We decided to stay in and order room
Service and watch a DVD, the player did stock every 10mins but no biggie, I ordered a burger, the girlfriend went for a chicken dish. Both where delightful.

The suites at this hotel look amazing, our standard room was only £20 more than a premier inn a few minuets away sonic think it is great value for money.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We have booked to have our wedding at this hotel in September and over the past 3 months have visited the hotel for drinks, dinner and to view the hotel overall in preparation for our big day on a number of occasions.
I booked a night in one of the suites as a surprise to my fiancee in the same room as we are having for our wedding night, wow what a room!! The room was split level, beautiful decor, twin roll top baths on the top floor with a tv at the top of a spiral staircase. Not only was the room excellent the little touches made it feel really special, there was a coffee maker, range of magazines and well detailed information brochure, great quality towels, robes and even a note from the general manager (Saskia) addressed to us personally wishing us a great stay. Another great feature of this room is the huge window and view of the quayside with a window seat stretching right round the circular space.

I booked us into the bistro for a meal, the package I purchased included a two course dinner and wine. The set menu was a little limited so we opted to go for the a la carte instead. The food has always been fantastic so my expectations were high, my finacees food was fantastic, mine was good but not as great as I had there before. I gave my feedback to the 2 waiters working that night and they were amazing, they got me additional sauces etc and feedback to the chef who apologised and gave us free dessert! I believe the sign of a good resturant and its staff is the ability to solve any issues they face and both waiters were 5 star as were the chef's! The waiters on the evening (1 girl, 1 boy) were both chatty and funny and remembered us from previous visits, they both deserve a big thankyou and we hope they will both be there on our wedding day as their service is exceptional. We have also visited in the past where an older man has been working in the bistro who is superb.

We had breakfast the next day which again was very nice, good selection and service as ever. If you are thinking of visiting the Newcastle area and want a treat this is the place to stay, both of us have worked in 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world and this has to be up there with the best. We have visited the Hotel Du Vin in Poole as well which was really good though I have to say the nice thing about Newcastle is that you get 5 star luxury but its delivered with the same warmth, humour and fun you get from Geordies in general!

Even if you arent staying here and are in the area the bar and restaurant and afternoon teas etc are well worth a visit, we are both looking foward to spending many days at the hotel throughout the summer out on the decking and in the cigar shack in the run up to our big day and many times in the future too. Big thankyou to all the staff for helping us find a hidden gem in our home town.

Also if youre looking to plan a party or special occasion at the Hotel, the events manager Daniel has been great,nothing has been to much trouble.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Cheshire, England
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this hotel last minute and I think I got a special "Easter Deal". We booked a mezzanine room which was one of the cheaper options and was only about £20 dearer than the nearby Premier Inn. Arrived in a blizzard and the lady on reception couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. She explained all the parking options very clearly - there is a very reasonably priced NCP car park just across the road or valet parking for £10.00 per night. We were planning to go out later in the evening and the hotel were very happy for us to leave our car on the small hotel forecourt until we returned later in the evening, which I though was very nice of them. We were really surprised at how lovely our room was. It wasn't huge but was extremely comfortable with a lovely coffee maker, all facilities, SKY sports on the TV and a beautiful mezzanine bathroom with roll top bath and separate, massive, shower.
Due to the appalling weather we decided to eat in the restaurant and again, couldn't find any fault. The service was 1st class, food delicious and not outrageously priced. For a Tuesday evening I would say the restaurant was very busy with a few quite large parties but this didn't seem to affect the service. My only criticism would be that the wine list, though huge was very expensive. Most bottles seemed to be priced at £40.00 or over... a bit much for us!
At night the room was too hot - despite the Arctic conditions outside but honestly, I just think this is what hotels are like - it happens so often! Even so we managed to get a good night's sleep.
Breakfast excellent, Again, the service was fantastic and friendly. The hot food was all cooked to order and was delicious and the buffet of pastries, fruit, cereal etc, though not massive was good quality. Tea, coffee and toast were in an endless supply - perfect.
I'm not too sure about the location of this hotel - in terms of access to the City - I think it may be some way out but that wasn't on our agenda so didn't bother us. The building as usual with HDV was interesting and well designed. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Mezzzanine good value for money.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Louth, Lincs, England
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed one night in respect of our silver wedding anniversary and to pick up our son from university. Hotel du Vin hotels are all in beautifully renovated buildings. This one is no exception. We had a beautiful room with a balcony and a view of the river. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Parking is limited nearby so we took advantage of the valet parking - very good and peace of mind. There was a large bouquet of flowers waiting in our room on arrival which my husband had organised through the hotel - fabulous! Our son joined us for dinner and a drink at the bar as the hotel is only 5 minutes from his halls of residence. A good choice of cocktails at the bar too. The food was good with generous portions. The location was perfect for our requirements and much quieter than the Jury's Inn at Gateshead where we have stayed before. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the river, it's worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed for 1 night for leisure purposes. The hotel is about 20 min walk from town centre and about 10 to the quay side. It is set in a nice location just off from the river. The hotel is immaculate and has an excellent outside area and cigar shack. Arrived and the reception staff were extremely polite and friendly. The room was we'll sized with good quality extras. Bathrobes, wifi, good quality tea and coffees. Nice and quiet and comfortable bed. The food was excellent although the wine as expected is expensive. Breakfast was equally as good with full English or continental buffet. Really nice stay for a treat.

• Stayed March 2012
Surrey
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed in 'Springfield', which was a lovely room with a roll top bath in the room and a comfortable bed with quality bed linen. The guy on Reception with glasses was absolutely wonderful and his customer service couldn't be faulted. The Bistro Manager was also very efficient and the dark haired bar man was a credit to the brand. We've stayed in Hotel Du Vin in Bristol and York and Newcastle was by far the least snooty and most enjoyable experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

my husband and I have stayed in Hotel du Vin in York and loved it, We chose to go local this time and though the experience would be the same,,,,,, We did get an upgrade but it was in a disabled access room, the bathroom was a wet room so everything got soaked when the shower was on, the floor was covered in the water. The room itself was very nice a little attention to detail would be nice,, the vases on the shelf had an inch of dust in them and the water splashes on the wall should have been wiped. the bed was very comfortable.
we ate in the restaurant which was very tasty, although the bill had a service charge on, i like to do my own tipping so we crossed it off and signed to our room, when we checked out the following morning the service charge had been put on the bill, when we asked about it they said it was discretionary and they could take it off if we would like them to... hello, yes. I tip what I feel is appropriate.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple