“History meets comtemporary in this fun boutique hotel”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
New York City, New York
“History meets comtemporary in this fun boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

A charming hotel set in the old Tyne Steam Shipping company building, with a design that has kept much of the original features, but accentuated with fun, modern twists. We stayed in the Pol Rogers suite, which was very spacious and quiet (it is slightly detached from the main hotel building) and has a lovely king-sized bed that opens up into the bathroom, complete with standing tub. The location is a little out of Newcastle center, but offers a lovely walk along the Quayside into town, passing sights of the Millennium and Tyne Bridges, as well as the Baltic Flour Mills. While being a short walk into town, the location does make it easier to get in and out if you are driving, and looking to explore the coast or Northumberland. That said, Parking is limited, but they do offer valet services which helps. Breakfast was very good, though we choose to eat elsewhere in the evenings. All the staff where incredibly helpful and courteous, and we should certainly stay again on future visits.

Room Tip: Pol Rogers is an excellent suite, that is bright, spacious and quiet (as it is slightly detached fro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rob T, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Good afternoon Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent visit. It's always great to hear about people's stories, visits and experiences whilst staying with us.

I agree, it's quite a striking building and very sympathetically restored into some intriguing rooms and suites, Pol Roger being one of them!

We hope to be welcoming you back again before too long, we wouldn't want you staying anywhere else!

Best regards

Rob Tait

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

As a wedding gift, may sister and Nephew booked us into the hotel with dinner and breakfast included. We could not have been happier! Excellent, friendly service, delicious meals. The room was clean, spacious and had a great view of the river and Quayside. We were within a short walking distance of bars, quayside, and the Sage.
We were impressed by the design and decor of the room, especially the huge shower and roll top bath with great views of the river. Loved that the hotel occupies what used to be a steam ship company from the turn of the century and is dotted with great photos of shipbuilding references.
No problem with late check out and valet checked our bags till late in the day.
We would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: I didn't check value as we don't know what the room cost. Rooms are named after wines... O...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon Mel,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind words have been passed on to the staff so they know that their hard work is noticed and acknowledged.

Hopefully we will be welcoming you back to the hotel soon or perhaps next year for your anniversary!

Lancashire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Staff were friendly and helpfull. Loved the room we were in. Perfect for a romantic break from the babies with a good atmosphere. Fairly priced and loved the cigar shack. Great monsoon shower (although it did flood on our first morning causing a slight panic by myself but this was quickly dealt with). Short taxi to the town and just a walk to the river front which is a rather nice walk at night. Can't wait to book our next visit and try out the afternoon tea I've heard so much about.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank B15mmmtakemeout
Hi there,

Thanks for reviewing your visit in October. it's great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay!

You'll definitely have to pay us a visit for Afternoon tea, it's very popular.

Thanks also for raising the point about the shower, it's important we know so we can remedy these issues.

Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night with our five month old son. Upon check in our room was underwhelming - it was quite scruffy and tired, there was also hair in the bath. Had I not been with my son I would have complained yet we had arrived late and to upheave seemed too much effort. Breakfast the following morning was terrible. We were sat opposite the open kitchen with the lovely view of the breakfast chef talking on his mobile phone. I had eggs Benedict the hollandaise sauce was freezing cold, my partner had a full breakfast of which he couldn't eat most of because it was so greasy. I was expecting much higher standard of hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear of the issues that you experienced during your stay.

We pride ourselves on our high standards in all aspects however from your comments, it seems we fell short of these on this occasion. Please accept my genuine apologies for this as this certainly isn't the norm or the standard we set out to deliver here at Hotel du VIn.

I'd be delighted to discuss the matter further with you if you could contact me on rob.tait@hotelduvin.com it would be appreciated,

Warm regards,

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

If only more hotel chains did attention to detail like Hotel du Vin, the world would be a better place! I booked a deluxe room as a treat for my partner and I for date night, and we were not disappointed. The room was simply stunning; the roll top bath was in the bay window overlooking the River Tyne!

The trade off for the view was that the room overlooked a busy road, so it was noisy with traffic during the night. But then I did have a window open as I like fresh air!

Hotel du Vin have thought of everything, and we could not have wanted for anything else during our stay. We enjoyed an evening meal in the bistro, eating from the Plats du Jour menu – which had a great selection of dishes. The food was beautifully cooked and plentiful, so much so we couldn’t manage the desert.

The staff were attentive, but not intrusive, and our breakfast was delivered to our door right on time. We are now converts to Hotel du Vin!!

Room Tip: Rooms not overlooking the tyne will be quieter, but you will not get a great view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Sarah,

I'm so glad you are now coverts to Hotel du Vin, it's great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much!

Thank you for taking the time to review, your kind words have been passed onto the whole team.

We hope to be welcoming you back again before too long,

Thanks again and kind regards

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed for one night only on a recent business trip. The room was tastefully furnished although we were surprised to find a roll top bath located in the bedroom area rather than the bathroom. Bed comfy and quality pillows. We ate in the bistro and enjoyed the food but my beef dish could have been more tender. Given that for 2 courses the bill was over £120 I had expected a little better standard. Overall we were happy with our stay but were really disappointed at the sullen service by the young male waiter at breakfast. No one was at the entrance to greet us so after waiting several minutes we decided to just find a table ourselves. When we wanted to order the cooked breakfast his response was it would be at least 20 minutes - he seemed to be just trying to put people off ordering and sticking to the continental breakfast instead. It was not busy and we heard him say the same thing to another couple. Shame it spoilt an otherwise good stay - a definite training opportunity here. Thankfully the reception staff were much friendlier.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Good afternoon Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm delighted that so many parts of your stay were enjoyable but obviously concerned at the level of service at breakfast. This is certainly not the norm here at the hotel, please accept my genuine apologies for the substandard service you received. The information you were given was also wrong as our breakfasts are generally produced in 8-10 minutes. I’m very sorry if this deterred you from having a cooked breakfast. A shame as they really are delicious.

I have passed your lovely comments onto the reception team and please be assured I have spoken to our Bistro team to ensure that this was a one off. Definitely a training opportunity as you rightly say.

Please do contact me on rob.tait@hotelduvin.com for any future stays so I can look out for you.

Thanks for raising your very valid and helpful points,

General manager
Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I cannot find a single fault with the Du Vin Newcastle. We stayed for my partners birthday as we went to see a band at the metro arena that night. Everything as perfect and we enjoyed our time there. We wouldn't hesitate booking again if we are ever in Newcastle. Our breakfast was lovely, the room was brilliant and the staff are a credit to the hotel. I advise anyone to stay here! Cannot speak highly enough :)

• Stayed October 2013
Hi there,

It's very kind of you to let us know how much you enjoyed your visit. We're thrilled that you enjoyed so much. I have made sure that your review has been posted in our staff areas so the whole team can see that their efforts are acknowledged.

Hope to be welcoming you back soon,

Best regards,