“pleasant stay but with an element of greed!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
Beverley, United Kingdom
“pleasant stay but with an element of greed!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for my husbands birthday I booked the hotel for 2 nights in a superior room the hotel is nice and clean and has impressive rooms when checking in I was told they would charge me £100 for the 2 nights on top of my bill "just incase" I spent in the bar or bistro,this does get refunded at the end of your stay, however I do think this is rather cheeky as on our second night we didn't use the hotel bar/restaurant! we ate out with friends!

Also i noticed they had charged me an extra £30 for NOTHING!!! i queried this and the receptionist apoligised and refunded!

i think the Friday Tonic package is really good value for money 3 course meal bottle of champers and the room i would recommend this as its a great offer with yummy food!!

there where a few things which the hotel could improve on replenish tea and coffee facilities and fresh milk each day NOT leave the dregs of the bottle from the day before for you to use!!
the hotel supplies nice toiletries however these where not restocked on our second night which i don't think it acceptable especially when they are so small!!
A later check out example 12pm!! 11am on a sunday is a little early!!
provide biscuits with the tea and coffee facilities like they do at the malmaison!!!

on check out i looked carefully over my bill only to notice the hotel charged me £20 for a helium balloon i had requested for my hubbys birthday i was shocked to say the least NO WAY does a standard balloon cost £20 i did mention this to the receptionist who then kindly refunded me.

i do feel there is an element of greed with this hotel and everything seems to be very pricey i know this is an upmarket hotel however i am not daft enough to buy a packet of milk buttons for £4.00 from the mini bar

overall we had a nice stay and the roll top baths are very relaxing, i would not return to the hotel du vin Newcastle

Room Tip: roll top baths are a lovley touch!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank kayleigh N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I've previously stayed at other Hotel Du Vin venues over the years and I must say I thought Brighton was my winner..... But not at all. This hotel does not just do the chain of hotels proud, which are renowned for a very high standard yet welcoming and warming feel, but for me personally, it is in the category of one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The service is second to none, the quality of everything from the floor to the doors to the bathroom are of the highest calibre possible. It's oozes warmth and a subtle cosy feel but also brandishes an up market and undeniable ambience which for me.... Hits all the right buttons. For business, or pleasure I would certainly recommend you look no further than booking into this well located and immaculately well suited hotel. The only complaints I've seen are about the standard of food which I can't disagree with more. The hotel doesn't claim to be Michelin star, it's claims to provide superb standards for the right price and for me, the food is worth every penny. If you want a good ribeye steak, a perfectly advised by the inform members of staff glass of wine to match, and a savvy and memorable atmosphere.... This is where to go. Top marks all round.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank samuel P
HDVRobTait, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your great feedback, I'm pleased to hear you find our hotel great value. We aim to provide the best atmosphere, service and prodcut possible to all of our guests.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

This is a very impressive venue on first impressions and feels really too end on entering. We were booked into the bistro for lunch and greeted with a friendly welcome and quickly seated at our table and drinks served. We ate from the restaurant week menu which offered a good choice, and although the food was tasty I think it could have been so much better, the soufflé lacked any taste of cheese and very basic presentation, the main was tasty but could have been a lot hotter and the sticky toffee pudding looked like it had come straight from a supermarket, although the ice cream was very nice. As mentioned earlier on arrival we were greeted well, however after the main was served the service was lacking and we were left sitting for long periods waiting for service. I really like the HdV and would like to return as it has a really good feel and if the staff are consistent in their service this would improve the experience, also at these prices the food needs to go up a notch both in quality and presentation. Finally the only other comment I have is regarding the service charge which which was added to our bill with no choice as to whether we wanted to pay it or not, considering we had hardly any service towards the end of the meal I felt a little disgruntled about this and as I said the staff were friendly but did not warrant an extra 10% added to our bill. All in all loved the venue, just needs to raise standards a little.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CandyM888
Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Last night we attended the bistro for restaurant week. The deal here was 2 courses for £15. Both mine and my partners starters and main were highly unimpressive in both presentation and flavour. The salad was limp and they appeared to have forgot to put in any type of cheese to the dishes where this was the key ingredient. One of the mains was essentially a gregs pasty on a plate, but more dry and flavourless. Having heard good things about the food here our expectations were high, and we were considering attending for a graduation meal later in the year, but certainly won't be now.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 45reviewer
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I was given a voucher for Christmas for dinner, bed & breakfast at Hotel du Vin in Newcastle and I was very much looking forward to using it.

I had been to the Bistro before, but I had never stayed in the Hotel - I suppose you don't often stay in a hotel in the same city you live in. It was my 8 year old birthday so decided to use the voucher on this occasion as a special treat for her and my other daughter.
As soon as we arrived, we were greeted warmly and after checking in we were escorted to our room by a lovely Scottish lady, who made a point of congratulating my daughter on her birthday and made a real fuss of her, thereby making her feel extremely special. A little touch that added a lot to the experience and put a massive smile on her face!

The room was simply gorgeous with everything you could possibly wish for a romantic stay... and plenty of room when staying with the family! There was a double header walk in shower, a bath tub in the room, Champagne, a Nespresso machine, TV, Iphone Speaker/charger, and everything else that you could probably think of. What I loved the most is that it felt really clean... as if the hotel had just opened.. which is always a good sign!

A friend and her son joined the 3 of us for dinner. We were booked for 7pm and we were immediately shown to our table, which is when the hick ups in the service started. The waiter looking after our table seemed distracted, for example, he didn't go around the whole table when taking the drinks order and left without taking my daughter's order. And when the drinks arrived, no-one noticed that we were one drink short, so we had to call another waiter to get served. There were 3 children at the table, neither myself nor my friend were drinking wine as we had opted for cocktails instead, yet I had to ask for the spare wine glasses to be removed as they were cluttering the table unnecessarily - and there is always a risk of breakages with kids at a table! My cocktail wasn't really the way it should have been as I had asked for ginger ale while it contained ginger beer... Little things for sure but it just made me feel that they were not paying attention and therefore devalued the experience a little.

The food however was absolutely delicious- all of it! - though there were a few mistakes with that too. I had ordered cawliflower cheese and spinach as sides and I got spinach and carrots (and I hate carrots...).... they offered to re-order them with a few minutes wait but I decided to leave it... shame as I love cawliflower cheese!! The coffee order was also totally wrong... but it was fixed straight away.

There is one thing that irritates me when dining out and it is being left with dirty dishes on the table for too long... and we waited for nearly 15 minutes before our plates were cleared (and I checked the cutlery was giving the right message!!)

None of the things I have mentioned were terrible, nor did they ruin our experience, but they certainly did make me feel as if there were room for improvement, which is a shame as I don't think it reflects their usual standards! Basically, I think we visited the restaurant on an off night - it happens. And I would like to think that those things don't happen on a regular basis....

We retired to our room and after settling the girls into bed, I joined a couple of friends in the bar for a last cocktail. The bar and lounge area are great! So much attention to detail in the deco everywhere you look, which is entertaining in itself. There was a great buzz yet a relaxing atmosphere at the same time. I would certainly go back just to use the bar/lounge. The cocktail menu is interesting and for a small bar it is rather extensive. The barman certainly knew his stuff - which is great because another pet hate of mine when barmen act as if they are great mixologists, when they don't really have a clue...

Finally the following morning, we went back to the Bistro for breakfast, which was simply fantastic! Everything looked so fresh and inviting with a great selection of freshly cut fruit (my favourite!), bread, pastries and anything else one could wish for in a continental breakfast. I didn't have a cooked breakfast but my girls asked for french toast with bacon and maple syrup which looked extremely inviting!

So over all, I am being petty when criticizing the odd small thing ... because we had a fabulous time and I would have happily paid for what we had, had it not been a present - and a great present it was too!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Alexfromeden
Hi,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry to hear however about the disappointments you had when dining in our bistro.
I can assure you that this is not normally the standard of service we aim to provide and not the standard of service that is a practised regularly.

Since reading your feedback in January this was looked into.

We hope to welcome you back soon and show you this was a one off.

Gateshead
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Attended an afternoon tea for my friends 30th birthday.

The sandwiches were all stale despite the tea being around £20 each they wouldn't swap for a soft drink the medication I'm on means I can't drink hot drinks I would have been happy with a lemonade and would have cost next to nothing but they refused so I had to pay extra for it.

We paid extra for a privet room however received next to no service would have been better to not have done so, every time we wanted anything we had to go and get someone.

To top it off my friend who's birthday it was emailed her complaints on several occasions and is yet to get a response!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RuthieSunshine
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We have visIted the restaurant a number of times and can never fault the food or service. Whether it be an evening meal or Sunday lunch the quality of ingredients are exceptional. The restaurant itself always has a great ambiance and the bar is also lovely for a pre or post meal drink.

The chateaubriand is the best I've had anywhere in the world and that alone is reason for us to return frequently. The service at the reception, bar and restaurant is excellent and the small touches go a long way.

If you're looking for fine dining with a casual non pretentious attitude to dining then look no further than here.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel.

It’s great to hear you love eating with us so much, staff work hard to make all of our guests feel welcome and at ease.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon