“Great stay let down by pre authorisation policy on”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Girlfriend and I stayed for her birthday Check in informed us a £50 pre authorisation would be taken to cover bar expenses etc. No problem. Check out told us it was actually £205 and it could take up to 5 days to refund! Spoilt what was otherwise a lovely stay. There was no mention of this amount when we checked in. In effect I have paid nearly £400 until the £205 is refunded and it's not a case of them simply refunding to card. I could kind of accept that. They have to fax their bank who then faxes your bank. If I had known this I would have simply paid cash!! Reluctant to stay again which is a shame as my girlfriend loved the room and bar area. You have been warned!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lljg2488
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Lovely relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff. Full size cakes included in the afternoon tea. Loads of coffee provided too. Would certainly go back. Only there for tea so ratings refer to that and not actual stay at hotel.

Room Tip: Had to book as gets quite busy - need to allow time to get parked.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
HDVRobTait, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for your comments.

We take pride in our afternoon teas in the relaxed setting of the hotel. The car park is small however there is plenty of parking around the hotel, the receptionteam are more than happy to assist if stuck for a place.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Recently stayed here for three nights. The historic building and the bedrooms are gorgeous, as is usually the case with the HdV chain, however the Newcastle HdV is close to a busy road, which means traffic noise can be a problem if your room is at the end of the hotel and next to the road.
I am not a driver but I gather there is only very limited parking available. The HdV is handy for the Q2 quayside bus service as the St Ann's stop is a few minutes walk away. It is also 10 minutes walk, max, to the Millennium Bridge, Sage, Baltic, the Malmaison sister hotel and the bars and restaurants of the Quayside.

The rooms I saw all had open plan-style bathrooms with gorgeous free-standing roll-top baths in the bedrooms and, in some cases, were a little exposed to the gaze of passers-by, drivers and parkers especially in the case of the ground floor rooms and suites. So it isn't really possible to soak in the tub and enjoy the view unless you are high up.

For the most part the HdV staff were an absolute delight during our entire stay -- smiley, chatty and full of Geordie bonhomie -- though the bistro did seem a little short-staffed which meant slightly longer waits for service at both dinner and breakfast.

Ate in the bistro, which was a mixed bag. The French onion soup starter was one of the best I have ever tasted, and believe me I am fussy when it comes to French onion soup, whereas the mains and desserts were a little disappointing. Be warned, too, that HdV levies a 10% service charge and leaves credit card slips open for gratuities so don't end up giving twice!

Bar staff were knowledgeable, personable and friendly, making my non-drinking partner an alcohol-free strawberry Valentine's Mojito, which she loved.

In sum, I would return but would request a quieter room away from the traffic noise next time.

4  Thank theoriginalsid
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My partner treated my to valentines night there. On arrival the reception desk staff were extremely friendly. One on the staff checked us in, asked if we had stayed there before and when we said no, personally took us to our room, which was a nice personal touch. We asked if she could book us a taxi to take us to City Centre which was not a problem, included in our valentines package was strawberries and champagne which they girl on reception told us to let her know when we got back from city centre and she would have it brought to our room. When we arrived back champagne and strawberries were delivered to us within 10 minutes.

Room was very good, nice décor and clean. Had meal in restaurant which was lovely served by yet again very pleasant staff. Breakfast also very nice.

All in all a lovely hotel with extremely pleasant, helpful staff, the manager should be proud of having such a good team.

Hi there,

Thank you for you wonderful comments.

The staff are a valued asset to the hotel and their departments. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Think this is the third time we have stayed at hdv Newcastle. Perfect again. Comfortably the best hotel in Newcastle, from what I've seen. Stayed in La Grande Dame, one of their top level of suites. Beautiful room. Huge super king size super comfortable bed. Two lovely big baths. Lovely monsoon shower. Very relaxing calm hotel. Easy two minute walk to the Baltic and the quayside. Bit of a walk into town, but easy to get a cab or a bus. Staff are always a bit stiff but nice and very courteous; pleasingly the lady who served us at checkin and checkout this time was actually really nice and personable and friendly, hdv should let their other staff be more like her. Tasty dinner and breakfast. Great hotel. Will stay again the next time I come to Newcastle.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
HDVRobTait, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hi,

We encourage all of our staff to be themselves yet professional and they are always more than happy to go above and beyond to help our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We visited this Bistro for the first time on a Saturday night, it was busy in the bar and food areas. There was a group of us and we all ordered our meals and drinks. Two ordered the beef on the bone, one ordered a burger and we had a variety of other food and sides. The beef sauce was lovely, the veg was lovely but the main meat was awful. I received a bone covered in gristle and a horrible lump of fat, the other one was the same, inedible. the burger was half cooked and pink through the middle, needless to say we did not eat this food. I brought it to the attention of the waiter who could not care less and made no apology. We did not make a fuss as it was a friends birthday.The prices are very high, maybe typical of this type of bistro, but no excuse for poor food. The end bill was massive but the experience was not reflected in this.

Room Tip: I did not stay overnight
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SOPHMORGS
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for my husbands birthday I booked the hotel for 2 nights in a superior room the hotel is nice and clean and has impressive rooms when checking in I was told they would charge me £100 for the 2 nights on top of my bill "just incase" I spent in the bar or bistro,this does get refunded at the end of your stay, however I do think this is rather cheeky as on our second night we didn't use the hotel bar/restaurant! we ate out with friends!

Also i noticed they had charged me an extra £30 for NOTHING!!! i queried this and the receptionist apoligised and refunded!

i think the Friday Tonic package is really good value for money 3 course meal bottle of champers and the room i would recommend this as its a great offer with yummy food!!

there where a few things which the hotel could improve on replenish tea and coffee facilities and fresh milk each day NOT leave the dregs of the bottle from the day before for you to use!!
the hotel supplies nice toiletries however these where not restocked on our second night which i don't think it acceptable especially when they are so small!!
A later check out example 12pm!! 11am on a sunday is a little early!!
provide biscuits with the tea and coffee facilities like they do at the malmaison!!!

on check out i looked carefully over my bill only to notice the hotel charged me £20 for a helium balloon i had requested for my hubbys birthday i was shocked to say the least NO WAY does a standard balloon cost £20 i did mention this to the receptionist who then kindly refunded me.

i do feel there is an element of greed with this hotel and everything seems to be very pricey i know this is an upmarket hotel however i am not daft enough to buy a packet of milk buttons for £4.00 from the mini bar

overall we had a nice stay and the roll top baths are very relaxing, i would not return to the hotel du vin Newcastle

Room Tip: roll top baths are a lovley touch!!
1  Thank kayleigh N