“Boutique hotel with lovely outside area for sunny days”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
“Boutique hotel with lovely outside area for sunny days”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Every part of our experience at this hotel was excellent, from the greeting when we arrived to the gracious giving of the bill! The staff were so friendly, thoughtful and helpful, nothing is too much bother. The room was clean, tasteful, smart and a bit quaint with the bathroom on a mezzanine deck. The restaurant is French shabby chic and the food is fresh and tasty. We had 2 breakfasts there and I really appreciate when I get light, creamy scrambled eggs but was jealous of my husbands smoked haddock at our 2nd breakfast - looked and apparently tasted gorgeous! We didn't have a chance to have dinner here but had a bar meal which was a notch above the usual. We'd definitely go there again and would recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: The superior double room we stayed in was lovely, with a mezzanine deck where the slipper bath and d...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel located not too far from the Quayside and city centre. The rooms and public areas are tastefully done and comfortable, with a nice sheltered outdoor lounge area which catches the sun. The staff are very pleasant and helpful.
The only downside is the food. While breakfast is good with an adequate buffet selection the quality at dinner could have been better. Some items were correct but others were just below our expected standard. With just a little kitchen management the food could be great, and the Bistro could move up a notch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I had my wedding reception here on 21st June, and i don't normally leave reviews, but want to thank all the staff who were involved in organising the day, with special thanks to Emma (Events Manager) and the kitchen/bistro team led by Louise and Erin who were so helpful and supportive. The food on the day was gorgeous, and i had so many compliments on the venue and the bar by our guests that i felt obliged to write and say thankyou!

The outside seating area was a little bonus, especially as we had good weather, and i know a number of our guests enjoyed the cigar shack too. Hotel du Vin is such a hidden gem for Newcastle, but i know that my husband and I, and no doubt a number of our friends and family will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: The Dom Perignon suite is absolutely gorgeous, but even the "standard" rooms are in a diff...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline C
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is one of the VERY few excellent restaurants in Newcastle which are not being ruined by stag and hen parties (which very fortunately stick to the city centre or main quayside venues). The hotel as a whole is extremely comfortable and there is very private and understated ambiance. Start off in the bar for drinks/cocktails before going into the restaurant for dinner. The staff are extremely well-trained and the food is excellent. Very good wine list, too. For a special/romantic occasion this venue takes some beating. I didn't stay in the hotel overnight.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank paulheeley
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My daughter treat me for afternoon tea for my birthday. It was a lovely Saturday afternoon and after booking in at reception we were asked if we would like to sit inside the restaurant or on the outside seating area which is what we plumped for to enjoy the sunny weather. The waiting staff were wonderful and very attentive. I am probably one of the fussiest eaters and do not like anything which has a sauce ingredient, the waiter was more than happy to have the kitchen make me ham, cheese and chicken sandwiches for me, my daughter was happy to have the normal sandwich with the tea, after a few minutes the waiter came back to inform me that the chicken had been used with mayonnaise to which I said I was happy to have ham and cheese only but he then went on to offer me some freshly cooked beef which I was more than happy to accept. I was served with a pot of tea and my daughter chose the cocktail tea option. After about 20 minutes the freshly prepared tea arrived which included the sandwiches ordered, one plain and one fruit scone with clotted cream and jam in the centre plate with three different cakes to finish the delicious tea serving. During afternoon tea I was given another pot of tea. I can only compliment all those involved in making my afternoon tea date with my daughter a lovely experience in wonderful surroundings with the most attentive staff I have ever had looking after me. thanks to you all and I will be back and that is a promise not a threat

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dunbar
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed one night in the hotel. Room was very spacious and beautiful. Comfy bed with top notch luxury bed lining. Extra little touches like an espresso maker in the room. The bath and shower are open plan and felt a little uncomfortable showering just metres away from the tv!
The dinner was beautiful, but the entire bistro had been booked for a private party. We were only informed of this 3 days before our trip and as it was a wedding I'm guessing the bistro had been booked by the private party long before the hotel took my booking for dinner, bed and breakfast. The room we ate in was small and many other guests were squeezed in too.
Great selection of wines.
If we were assured of dinner in the bistro I would not hesitate to return to this excellent hotel :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

A really nice little hotel with good staff, good food and nice rooms. A few minor issues with staff, though they seemed busy so can't complain.

I could have given the place a better room score but ours was stiflingly hot (air-con didn't work very well at all) and we got charged for something from the mini bar which we didn't take.

All in all though I'd recommend it, just don't let service issues sour your stay!

• Stayed June 2014