“A really nice place to have lunch”
Review of Dog Leap Cafe

Dog Leap Cafe
Ranked #307 of 1,381 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Description: Cafe/Restaurant situated above Tynemouth’s Barca art bar. Fresh food made to order, breakfast, lunch and evening meals.
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I called in here yesterday for a quick lunch upon the recommendation of a good friend. I have visited previously but that was when it went under it’s previous guise (the Lantern Café), I really liked it then but todays visit was far, far superior. It’s housed in a beautiful room which is very bright and pleasant. When we arrived we noticed how busy it was so we quickly bagged ourselves a table and a menu and I decided to have a hot beef sandwich with separate dip/gravy. A lovely waitress quickly took our order (unusual having waitress service in a café these days but very nice and I am sure that they are very aware that most people only have an hour for lunch), and it took about 10 minutes to arrive. It tasted gorgeous, I would both recommend and return to this restaurant without any hesitation and for £4.75 it was an absolute bargain!

Reviewed 9 August 2017

This was such an unexpected place to eat. Recommended by locals. Didn't disappoint. Exceeded expectations. Doesn't look like much however the food is outstanding fresh made by a chef who clearly knows how to make creative and tasty food. I agree it has something for everyone. Very traditional to creative exotic menu. Great service. Full portions. Reasonably priced.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

This was a real surprise as I had no idea it existed, tucked away in a corner of the cathedral just off a pretty courtyard. The room itself is tremendous with a high decorated vaulted ceiling and lots of light, the furniture a mixture of tables & chairs with some sofas dotted about. If you like background music, lots of buzz, this is not the place to go. If you enjoy a tranquil environment where you can relax, chat or read, then you're in luck. The menu was extensive with plenty of specials on the board. The scones are home-made daily and looked excellent. I only had time for coffee but next visit it'll be for lunch.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

Lovely staff, nice menu. I've had take-outs as I work nearby, a better choice than the other 'chain restaurants' nearby. I've had a hangover-cure bacon buttie and a fab salmon pot roll. Laid back and proper.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

great location in the city centre, hidden from all save some signage, that kind of adds to the find, A great range of food for all people from breakfast, light snacks right into lunch.
You can go for the more traditional cafe fayre or opt for something a little more exotic or choose from a specials board.
I opted for one of my go to sandwiches which was roast chicken stuffing and gravy served with a side salad and root veg crisps.
The food is great, and portions generous.
The staff are fantastic and the service was quick and efficient.

open from early to mid afternoon at current, i'd certainly recommend anyone to pay a visit for a reasonably priced meal.