“Nice food good service (if you avoid early bird menu)”

Freya's Restaurant at Aspers Casino
Reserve with OpenTable
Freya's Restaurant at Aspers Casino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #259 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$14 - US$70
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Freya's Restaurant at Aspers Casino is the perfect destination for hungry casino-goers and discerning diners alike. We offer an elegant dining space that boasts a contemporary design. Our selection of menu's offer a wide range of dishes from around the globe, from British fish and chips and American burgers, to delicate Thai curry and Italian-inspired crab linguine, there is truly something for everyone. For great-quality food in a glamorous casino setting, look no further than Freya's Restaurant. Aspers Casino Newcastle also boasts two lovely bars in which you can either relax and watch sports, or look out across the gaming floor, and enjoy a refreshing pint or cocktail. To enter an Aspers Casino, there is no membership requirement and guests must be 18 years or over, with photo identification required for those who look under 25. The rewards program Aspers World requires photo identification upon sign up.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We dined here on a Saturday night the restaurant was fairly busy but still had a couple of tables available. It seemed a bit strange that such a nicely decorated restaurant is situated inside a casino, but you quickly forget where you are. The service was good, the staff were very friendly and polite. The menu has a good selection of starters, mains and desserts. The food was well presented and tasted very good. The prices are reasonable for both the food and the wine. Avoid the early bird menus as the quality is very poor, go for the main evening menu and you will enjoy a nice meal.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Ate here, food was nice but not amazing. For the price I expected abit more for our money. May return but won't be in a hurry

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

When my friends suggested celebrating the birthday of one of our number here I wasn't keen. A restaurant inside a casino??? We all chose different mains and the food was the best flavoured best presented I personally have ever eaten. I had the lemon posset for dessert. It exploded in my mouth I couldn't believe anything so simple could taste that good. The ambience was unexpectedly good and by the time my starter arrived I'd forgotten I was in a casino. All in all this restaurant could hold its own anywhere. Don't judge a book by the cover.

2  Thank CAROL A
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was my 4th or 5th visit to Freya's which is somewhere that I always enjoy due to the quality of the food and the offers that are normally available. We went at around 6.30pm to find around 10-12 other people in the restaurant so it was far from full. We were seated at our choice of table and the friendly waitress explained the available specials/offers that were available to us. Things then went a little downhill from here, waiting well over 10 minutes for a drinks order to be taken and a further 10 before they arrived. As our drinks order was taken, we were advised that another waitress would attend straight away to take our food orders. This became a 15 minute wait which, for a restaurant that was 1/4 full was not great. I ordered a chicken Caesar salad and re-iterated that I would like the dressing on the side which was duly written down. I then ordered my main of steak and eggs and asked if I could swap the fries for a different kind of potato. The reaction I got was as if I had asked to have the meal for free and I was told that it wouldn't be possible but I could have chunky chips instead! Never have I eaten anywhere where I couldn't make a simple substitution for a different side dish that was already on the menu such as mashed or new potatoes. My Caesar salad arrived with dressing already poured on rather than on the side and my steak with fries as oppose to an alternative which would not have been complicated to achieve. A further long wait after we had finished our mains before we had to get up and go to the desk to pay the bill. It was a slightly disappointing visit to somewhere that I have always recommended and enjoyed before. It won't prevent me from returning but a little bit of flexibility with paying customers and speedier service would be great.

Darren H, Public Relations Manager at Freya's Restaurant at Aspers Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review of our Freya’s Restaurant at Aspers Casino Newcastle. Naturally we're very disappointed to hear of your recent experience, however you can rest assured that we have now taken the necessary steps to ensure that this is not repeated.

Of course this not the standard we expect our diners to be met with and we hope that you will visit us again in the future so that we can restore your faith in Freya’s Restaurant at Aspers Casino Newcastle.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We dined here with great expectations after hearing it was the 4th Best Restaurant in Newcastle! Unfortunately, for us, it didn't live up to its reviews ... The food itself was average when it eventually arrived, because the service was so slow. We were there for 2 hours 30 minutes for a 3 course meal and the restaurant wasn't that busy. Don't think we'll be going back.

Thank you for your recent review of our Freya’s Restaurant at Aspers Casino Newcastle. Naturally we’re disappointed to learn of the service you received on this occasion and we have therefore taken the necessary steps to ensure this does not occur again.

We do hope that you will try our restaurant again in the future and that you will have the pleasurable experience that the vast majority of our diners enjoy.