“brill weekend 14th nov- 18th nov 2013”

and 1 more site!
93a Grey Street Apartments
skea
“brill weekend 14th nov- 18th nov 2013”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I went along with 3 other girls for 4 nites a Thursday to a monday, have to say the apartment was right in the middle of everything, great location & nice & quiet we didn't see anybody else who was staying there all weekend, was very clean and up to date, bed was comfortable, showers were hot, tv and sofas for wen nursing our hangovers lol also provided iron..kettle.. hairdyer etc! would defo stay here again and 100% worth the money, roll on next time

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed in this apartment for two mid week nights in October with two other family members. We were visiting my son who is a student at Newcastle University. We arrived on a Tuesday morning on a very early flight and Michael the owner met us and took our luggage. In the space of time it took us to eat a large breakfast the apartment was ready for use. I was very surprised at how well equipped the kitchen was, and as my son wanted some home cooking this was perfect. There was even a pint of milk in the fridge, tea, coffee, condiments and cooking oil in the larder and ice in the freezer. The linens were spotless and the towels plentiful.Cleaning products were also supplied. Having a dishwasher and washing machine was a big bonus as I was able to do some washing and ironing for my son. There is a bit of a walk from the front door to the apartment but I have stayed in large hotels were the walk can be further. On the plus side you never have to wait for the lift.
The best thing about the apartment is the location. It is literally in the heart of the city centre. My favourite places were, at one end of the scale, Fenwicks and at the other end Grainger Market, where you could buy anything and everything from a rabbit, alive or dead, to a surgeon's scrubs (handy for a halloween costume.) There were many restaurants nearby that would suit all budgets and the quayside is a short stroll away. The university is very close by so my son could come sit with us in the break between his lectures. The nightlife in Newcastle is famous and I was glad the apartment was double glazed so there was limited amount of noise coming from the street.
When it came time to leave we were able to stay past the check out time which I appreciate may not be the case if there is a booking coming in straight after, but in my experience hotels rarely afford this option. All we had to do was leave a key in the secure box outside and walk the very short distance to the metro. The fact that the apartments are not owned by a large chain is a massive advantage in my book, you have the owners number to contact if you have a problem, and there is a desire to provide excellent service that a staff member may not necessarily have.
In summary the apartment was well appointed and spotless, and I am looking forward to staying again in the future.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Michael was very helpful, especially with the luggage , very comfortable sofas and bed and bathroom very well appointed. Could not ask for a better position, right in the main shopping centre and loads of different restaurants, and a 5min walk from st James park football stadium 10/10 :))))

Room Tip: I stayed on 3rd floor it was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My second stay at 93A (cf March 2012), this time with husband, rather than sister. Three nights for a short break, sharing main bedroom.

Travelled up by train - short walk from central station; taxi rank opposite building; metro a two minute walk. Art gallery, museums, shops (of all types), market, restaurants, cinema, three theatres are all with in easy walking distance.

Everything still of an exceptionally high standard. Michael Rea (joint proprietor) was v helpful, and allowed us to leave bags well beyond check-out time. There is now a secure key-box outside the flat so minimum fuss re coming &going.

I'm quoting below earlier entry as little else to say other than that over a week-end ,during university terms, periodic street noise from revelers more pronounced than during weekdays/vacation. (But absolutely unavoidable in that central area, and much less than at hotels we've stayed in.) Inside, the building is wonderfully peaceful.

' [Previous] experience of hotels in area was generally disappointing - decided we had nothing to lose by trying this well-appointed, warm, well-kept apartment within strolling distance of cinema ,theatre, art gallery,cafes,bars, shops & public transport of every kind.

We were two - one sleeping in exceptionally comfortable double bed; the other in a good sofa bed in main sittting room.

Kitchen & bathroom were stylish & highly functional.

The Reays were helpful & efficient.

Minor drawback is distance within building from entrance, to apartment. But it is more than worth getting past that. The other is some street noise late at night, despite good insulation. That's simply unavoidable in that area & was markedly less than I have experienced in hotels there: a v light sleeper should take earplugs, or just walk herself into exhaustion enjoying everything my native big city has to offer! '

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in October and agree with the other reviewers - lovely apartment in great location. However...

I felt constantly hassled by the owners before I arrived despite telling them the train I was on. I felt like I was inconveniencing them by staying there and didn't appreciate texts several times asking how long I thought I'd be!

They were also very rude and inconsiderate on the phone when they requested another payment card (booking.com takes Amex, turns out the apartment doesn't) - when we called to query why I had an email and voice message requesting credit card details and, for scam purposes and the fact that they don't answer the phone with anything more than a vague 'hello' (!), we were met with a rude response about cancelling the booking - very poor and unprofessional!!

It also felt like the whole thing was made up as they went along - no info on where to put the keys upon checkout and when queried, was told to put under the door (doesn't fit...) Was left to feel uneasy incase someone else took them before they were picked up.

The walk to the room is also never ending - it goes on forever and the place is so deserted you feel like you're appearing in a film as the last person on earth - spooky and certainly not ideal for those with mobility problems.

Lastly, I've stayed away a lot in serviced apartments and whilst this was nice, it just lacked the little extras that make it worth the price they charge - like maybe some milk in the fridge on arrival...it's the first I've stayed in the hasn't had that!!!

In short, it's nice enough but far better to stay at grey street hotel along the road - miles better AND cheaper!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PinkTea, Owner at 93a Grey Street Apartments, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Globetrotter260,

I am disappointed that you feel the need to add such a review, I understood that you had enjoyed your stay with us?

Unfortunately, we do not accept Amex, it states this in our terms & conditions (not accepting Amex is not particularly unusual for any business due to their terms). Both we at 93a & Bookings.com did try on numerous occasions to contact you by email & phone to deal with your payment. Due to your lack of response we were advised by our agent Booking.com to cancel the booking, which we wanted to avoid this as your stay was imminent & we did not want to see you without accommodation, & so we persisted in attempting to contact you. I am sorry if you felt "hassled" but a quick response by email or phone was all that was required.

The walk to the apartment is lengthy but we do have disabled access & another lift from another door when it is required, & I have walked much further in larger hotels myself. To call it spooky is just childish I'm afraid.

We take on board your point about milk and we thank you for your suggestion, we will certainly act upon it. We value any genuine requests and suggestions from our guests.
Castleford
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Just got back from staying here and it was just what we needed. Clean, spacious, modern and had everything we needed. Was also right in the middle of Newcastle. Michael the owner was friendly & helpful and I see he has recently added a full length mirror after reading the reviews!

• Stayed September 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a fantastic weekend stay for two nights. After arriving far later than anticipated (9.45pm rather than 6.30pm) Michael was waiting patiently out in the street to direct us to the apartments and then get us settled in without any fuss.
The location is perfect, right in amongst the city centre shops and within easy walking distance of just about everywhere, saving the hassle and cost of taxis, but still surprisingly quiet despite the Friday and Saturday night revellers outside. They were also perfect for chilling out in if you didn't want to venture out (or had to hang around waiting for the kids to get ready!).
The apartments were very well presented, wonderfully clean, comfortable and spacious and a pleasure to spend time in; a much better option than a hotel in our opinion.
Michael was a great host, very friendly and accommodating and kindly allowed us the use of one of one of our two apartments for an extra hour over the usual check out time.
Couldn't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: Both apartments are very similar but (sleep four with one bedroom and a sofabed) but choose the slig...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends