“Recommended for a city stay ... but noisy location.”

93a Grey Street Apartments
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I agree with all of the positive reviews for the accommodation. I found the owners to be superb and they asked for advice for improvements which they have acted upon (previous comments I have read in the visitors book have been addressed).
My only regrettable negative point is not actually to do with the property or owners. It is to do with the ridiculous drunken animals that run around the streets outside at 2 in the morning keeping you awake for most of the night, this may seem unfair, but I feel it is important to make all points known to the customer to make a sound judgement. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are the worst nights by far, though something occurred nearly every night anyway. I resorted to ear plugs to get a decent nights sleep.
A good tip is the excellent council car parking at Manors Car park 5 mins walk, saved my life when my reserved parking was cancelled.
Overall highly recommended if you can handle a bit of noise at night.
Also keys go in the key safe when you check out, get the code from the owners. Sheets and towels do get changed, arrange with the owners they are good at this and most other things really, just ask them. I mention these points because we didn't know what was supposed to happen, now you do. Enjoy

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Locate in a city center, that is a perfect location.
Service is excellence.
The bedroom and bathroom are clean.
You can walk around the city center.
The free wifi is working perfectly.
The kitten is fully equipped
Security is ok.

Room Tip: If you have many luggages , ask for the room near the lift.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Three of us stayed on Christmas shopping break for three nights. Apartment is just a short walk from Newcastle Central Station and right in the centre of everything we needed! Can't fault it all, beautifully furnished, comfortable bed and sofa bed and we appreciated wee touches such as milk, tea and coffee and ice. The owner, Michael, was very helpful and available to contact at anytime not that we needed to. The fire alarm did go off on the Wednesday morning, if this is a routine test would have been helpful to know, don't think Newcastle is ready too see us older girls half-dressed out in the street! All in all a lovely stay and would definitely book again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed in these apartments because we had travelled up to meet old friends and watch the football for my husbands birthday. After a really long journey travelling with a child and baby, we were greeted by Michael who was friendly and helpful from the beginning, and helped us with our huge amount of luggage. I was impressed the minute we walked through the front door, so clean and well appointed, all new and modern. The kitchen was well equipped including milk, kitchen roll, cooking oil, tea, coffee and sugar, I didn't need to bring half of what I did.

This apartment was in a fantastic central location to all the shopping malls, restaurants and St James Park, nothing was more than 10 minutes walk. All in all a superb weekend, which couldn't have been as enjoyable in a hotel room or a property of a lesser standard.

Room Tip: You won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I went along with 3 other girls for 4 nites a Thursday to a monday, have to say the apartment was right in the middle of everything, great location & nice & quiet we didn't see anybody else who was staying there all weekend, was very clean and up to date, bed was comfortable, showers were hot, tv and sofas for wen nursing our hangovers lol also provided iron..kettle.. hairdyer etc! would defo stay here again and 100% worth the money, roll on next time

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed in this apartment for two mid week nights in October with two other family members. We were visiting my son who is a student at Newcastle University. We arrived on a Tuesday morning on a very early flight and Michael the owner met us and took our luggage. In the space of time it took us to eat a large breakfast the apartment was ready for use. I was very surprised at how well equipped the kitchen was, and as my son wanted some home cooking this was perfect. There was even a pint of milk in the fridge, tea, coffee, condiments and cooking oil in the larder and ice in the freezer. The linens were spotless and the towels plentiful.Cleaning products were also supplied. Having a dishwasher and washing machine was a big bonus as I was able to do some washing and ironing for my son. There is a bit of a walk from the front door to the apartment but I have stayed in large hotels were the walk can be further. On the plus side you never have to wait for the lift.
The best thing about the apartment is the location. It is literally in the heart of the city centre. My favourite places were, at one end of the scale, Fenwicks and at the other end Grainger Market, where you could buy anything and everything from a rabbit, alive or dead, to a surgeon's scrubs (handy for a halloween costume.) There were many restaurants nearby that would suit all budgets and the quayside is a short stroll away. The university is very close by so my son could come sit with us in the break between his lectures. The nightlife in Newcastle is famous and I was glad the apartment was double glazed so there was limited amount of noise coming from the street.
When it came time to leave we were able to stay past the check out time which I appreciate may not be the case if there is a booking coming in straight after, but in my experience hotels rarely afford this option. All we had to do was leave a key in the secure box outside and walk the very short distance to the metro. The fact that the apartments are not owned by a large chain is a massive advantage in my book, you have the owners number to contact if you have a problem, and there is a desire to provide excellent service that a staff member may not necessarily have.
In summary the apartment was well appointed and spotless, and I am looking forward to staying again in the future.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Michael was very helpful, especially with the luggage , very comfortable sofas and bed and bathroom very well appointed. Could not ask for a better position, right in the main shopping centre and loads of different restaurants, and a 5min walk from st James park football stadium 10/10 :))))

Room Tip: I stayed on 3rd floor it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family