“not the luxury hotel it is claiming to be”

Staybridge Suites Newcastle
Warrington, United Kingdom
“not the luxury hotel it is claiming to be”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We booked a room because of the good reviews on this site. The hotel was average and a disappointment.

Expensive for what is essentially a Premier Inn room with a well equipped kitchenette and sitting room. The room was clean and pleasant but we had trouble watching the movie (£5.00) we paid for and when we tried to call reception to ask for assistance the room phone didn't work (the living room phone was diverted to the bedroom for some reason) The staff member who came up to fix the problem was very helpful and sorted the problem out very quickly.

The bed and bedding were Premier Inn standard. No pillow top mattress or down duvet, never mind egyptian cotton sheets.
Breakfast was awful, plastic omelette and tough sausages, mountains of cheap carb-laden junk but very nice coffee.

The hotel's location is not bad but it is right in the middle of a students residential area. It was not far (just over a mile) to walk to the Centre but we couldn't find any restaurants close by.

Overall a disappointing stay improved only by the helpful attitude of the staff.

1 Thank Johnandgerlind
SBSNewcastle, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Newcastle, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay. It certainly is a shame given all of the great reviews we get. We aim to offer a wide variety of food, fruit, yoghurts, croissants, muffins, bagguettes, bread, jams and juice for our complimentary breakfast but always take guest feedback very seriously and will look in to making improvements. There are a vide range of restaurants located only 5 minutes away on the Quayside and we display City maps and pocket guides at reception, I am sorry that a member of the team did not point these out to you. Once again, thank you very much for the feedback, we do appreciate it to allow us to improve our service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Haywards Heath
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stayed at the Newcastle Staybridge over a long weekend after reading the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel definitely lived up to expectations.. We found the reception team friendly and attentive - next to reception there is also a 24H pantry which is reasonably priced and has basic supplies and necessities.

The hotel is very modern and well maintained. Our room was a suite and certainly not lacking in space! For aprox 90GBP a night, I certainly thought this represented good value. The bed was comfy, the bathroom well equipped with a powerful shower. The room was a bit cold and we fiddled with the air con and eventually managed to get some heat from it, though it was rather temperamental - periodically turning off. However, overall I was very impressed with the room and the finish.

We did have a rather unfortunate view of the car park, but at least I could keep a close eye on the motor parked outside. On that note, there is a car park and despite there being free parking on the street, I felt reassured leaving the car under the CCTV camera in the secure parking and for 6£ per night it represents reasonable value.

Breakfast is served early and It is a bit of a 'free for all' - But there were no shortages. Mostly continental - with a half hearted hot breakfast on offer of hash browns, sausages and baked beans and omelettes. I would stick with the continental options - I found the omelette abit rubbery and all a bit average really.

On the whole Staybridge offers exactly the service and quality that I desire on short stays in Newcastle and from this moment on will be the only place I stay! The location is a short walk from the city centre and stadium and secure parking is offered. The rooms modern and perfectly equipped. Breakfast isn't bad. And the price is reasonable. What more could you want? I've booked again for December.

3 Thank apeks123
Thank you for posting this review, we appreciate your feedback - I am so glad you had a great stay. The team will also be delighted to hear that you are coming to stay again!! Thank you
Appleby, Cumbria
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stay at this place fairly often as work use it a lot. Each of the well-equipped rooms here is a serviced apartment with a full kitchen. Most rooms are studios, but some have a separate bedroom. All rooms are invariably spotless and kitted out with modern equipment and decor. Free wi-fi throughout. There is also a small gym on the ground floor.
Located on the fringe of the city centre, this place is a short walk from the quayside, and is situated on an elevated position - so try to get a room overlooking the river for great night-time views of the Sage, the baltic and the bridges.
Service is always informally attentive, and the Manager's weekday evenings reception of complimentary drinks and nibbles is a nice little added touch. Only minor criticism is that some of the other 'nice little touches' that set this place apart when it first opened, such as a chilled beer and sweets in the room, are no longer provided.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the river for great night-time views of the Sage, the baltic and the b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank EdenDave
Southern England
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Having stayed at the excellent Liverpool Staybridge. When planning a trip to Newcastle, it seemed an obvious choice to try Staybridge here. The secure barriered car park at £8 per night was very handy - some of it undercover. Might be the maps on our old Sat Nav but it could not recognise the PostCode. Although no problem with Google maps.

The staff were a delight and had a ready smile and were very friendly and helpful. Like the Liverpool address. the whole place was spotlessly clean.

There was no room information pack, but there was a certain amount of info available on the TV, once you mastered the menu system. WiFi was free and seemed very fast.

The kitchenette is equipped with a hob, microwave, dishwasher and plenty of kitchen utensils. With a good range of mugs, glasses and cutlery. The electric kettle was a plus, rather than having to use a kettle on the hob as in Liverpool.

The bed was very comfortable with good quality sheets and the bathroom had a nice large shower, but layout made hair washing a pain, if you didn't want to have a shower at the same time. The modern sink-on-shelf is not all that practical, and sadly there is no bath. But unlike Liverpool, there were no flannels supplied.

Breakfast is self serve with a good variety of fare in a very relaxing atmosphere. The staff were very attentive including a manager who refreshingly was prepared to roll his sleeves up and also sought guests views on the food supplied.

From reading Trip Advisor, it seems that Newcastle hotels suffer quite badly from selfish idiots that want to prove how mindless they are by running riot in the corridors in the early hours. Well maybe we were lucky, but throughout our stay the room was very quiet, with hardly a sound from nearby rooms or corridor. On the other hand, perhaps Staybridge appeal to a better class of guest - the Liverpool one was quiet as well.

The idea of a managers reception Tuesday to Thursday 6.30 – 7.30 is a nice option. It was well patronised with a good atmosphere. Perhaps this is how they keep aware of guests requirements. We also appreciated the complimentary tea and coffee available throughout the day. Although we have experienced this in other countries, this is the first time we have noticed this facility in the UK.

If you enjoy industrial archeology, make sure you try to visit the Victoria Tunnel at Ouseburn. A fifteen to twenty minute walk away from the hotel.

2 Thank Jayare14
Manchester
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I am ususually too busy to write reviews, unless the service is diabolical, but I was so impressed by everything about the Staybridge Suites that I just want to shout about it from the tallest rooftop!
Location - easy to find, with its own parking, or you can park on the road outside for free off-peak.
Check-in - I was greeted by 2 very welcoming solid looking chaps who made me feel extremely welcome - they are excellent ambassadors for the hotel and I cannot praise them enough, even though it was gone midnight. It took less than 2 minutes to get my key and reach my room.
The room was beautifully appointed, really luxurious, stylish, modern and functional - it is probably the best room I have ever stayed in, and this includes Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza brands. Loads of nice little touches to make me feel welcome and apprecioated - I was on the 6th floor and I had an amazing view over the whole city - I felt like a millionaire.
Even the carpet seemed to feel better than in other hotels.
The bathroom was great, with an excellent power shower, although no where to put my soap, shampoo and sponge in the shower, other than on the floor - so there is room for improvement here!
The room so impressed me that I phoned my wife to tell her!
Breakfast was great, as it was free of charge and contained loads of wonderful stuff, all of high quality - apart from the omlettes, which were awful, but this might just be me.
Check out was easy and I left feeling on top of the world.
In 20 years of travelling, I have never felt better after a night away!

Room Tip: Get a room at the front, 6th floor, for the best views.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank LikeSunshine
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our night team so helpful - I will ensure that they are made aware of your feedback. Thank you once again posting a review, we really do appreciate it.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Spent ages looking on trip advisor for a really nice place to stay in newcastle for a girlie weekend and eventually
decided on here! sooooo glad I did ! what an amazing place the rooms are fab really nicely decorated we had a full kitchen
with everything you could possibly need, living room area, big flat screen tv, the biggest leather sleigh bed, the best view over looking the millennium bridge and the staff were so nice could not do enough for you ! we arrived at 11am and thought we would be able to leave our bags at the hotel and have a wonder round until check in at 3pm but when we got there the girl on the front desk said no problem you can go up to your room now! brilliant ! short walk from centre although it was raining all weekend so we got taxis everywhere v cheap so all good ! very quiet on an evening, could go down with a tray in the morning and take your breakfast upstairs cereal, muffins, toast, juice, tea, fresh coffee, pastries, etc was yummy! Best weekend ever! defo the place to stay when visiting the jordies!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank charlee24
What great feedback - thank you! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the team helpful, they try very hard to deliver great customer service. Thank you for taking the time to post a review - we do appreciate it.
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Having just had the Newcastle area added to my sales territory, I needed somewhere where I could stay for at least one or two nights per month. I thought I would try the Staybridge, as Holiday Inn had a promotion based on staying in different brands. The fact that I have just changed another booking at another hotel in the chain to this one says it all.

I booked a studio room (apartment). The room is a good size, with a little kitchenette. There is a two ring stove, with saucepans and all the other kit one would need to cook something simple of an evening. There is even a dishwasher in the room. Large bed, good sized shower room. As a Platinum Priority Points member, I also had a free bottle of beer in the fridge, and some snacks on the table waiting for me.

The Staybridge has an evening reception every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, serving wine, beer and soft drinks, along with snack foods (pate and cheese). You don't have to mix with other guests and in fact, no one did, but it was a nice touch. Breakfast is a buffet breakfast, which is more than sufficient. There is free internet in the bar area, and sufficient light to work from a laptop. Car parking is available, although you are asked to display a sticker on the dashboard, as they have had a problem with students using their car park.

Overall, I would definately stay here again, and will be making this my base for future business trips to Newcastle.

Room Tip: Studio rooms are more than adequate.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JoPilsworth
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor, we appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and especially that you are hoping to stay again. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.