“Time at Staybridge Suites in Newcastle”

Staybridge Suites Newcastle
Gotheborg
“Time at Staybridge Suites in Newcastle”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We have spent 10 days at these suites. Perfect location, close to the Quayside. You feel like home, delicious breakfast, work room and the people that work there, VERY friendly. If the need is comfort, Staybridge is the place in Newcastle,UK.

Stayed January 2014
Craig P, Operations Manager at Staybridge Suites Newcastle, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Hi Mrs McAllister, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time with, and I hope you and your husband enjoy the rest of your time in Europe. Hope to see you again in the future. Craig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I have been staying regularly at the Staybridge Suites on an almost weekly basis for a few years now due to work commitments and I can honestly say you won't find a better place to stay in the area.

The rooms / suites are spacious, comfortable, clean, smart and have everything you need, as well as offering the most important thing, a quiet and great night’s sleep. The rest of the hotel offers great facilities; good gym, laundry room, pantry, BBQ area, lounge area and of course the superb week-night managers reception with complimentary beer, wine, snacks and fun!

The location is ideal for the heart of the city centre attractions as well as being very convenient to get to all the major access roads without the hassle of getting stuck in the grid lock streets around the hotels near the train station. Many rooms have superb views of the Newcastle / Gateshead skyline.

I save the best to last though, the staff are superb! To a man/woman they are friendly, helpful and genuinely can't do enough to help with anything you need. They truly make the hotel the best place to stay in Newcastle, and believe me I tried them all before finding the Staybridge Suites. I wouldn't go anywhere else. Sadly my work situation will no longer require me to travel to Newcastle, I will miss this place... but I will definitely return.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms (I've probably been in them all over the last few years).
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
SBSNewcastle, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Newcastle, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Alex, thank you very much for your kind comments. We have enjoyed looking after you over the years and do hope to see you return in the future. Best of luck with everything - we will miss you!!
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

If you take into account that this is not a full service hotel, that overnight stays are rare – and if you’re not “full-on American” – you’ll have a very, very enjoyable experience. The rooms are nice and modern with good amenities, the views from the rooms facing the river are excellent, and the staff – especially Pratik, who was manning the front desk at our check-in – makes you feel welcome and tries to accommodate your requests.
The beds – for me, the most important part of any hotel room - are comfortable, and the breakfast selection is good and of good quality.
Do note that the parking area, while large, is probably not big enough to accommodate all the guests, so plan accordingly. Also, we didn’t see a great many dining options in the immediate area of the hotel, though I’ve since been told that there is a large selection at the riverside, a 10 minute walk away.

All in all, an enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor, river facing room. Having said that, the ones facing the parking area would be qui...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SBSNewcastle, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Newcastle, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments, Pratik will be delighted that he was able to deliver great customer service. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you
Fife
Reviewed 28 January 2014

These are excellent, well equipped and well kept apartments. Only a 10 minute walk from the centre of town a 2 minutes from the quayside they are really well situated. The staff were great and the local shop was ideal for last minute forgotten items. Local supermarket was only a few minutes away also.
The apartments themselves were compact and functional containing everything you need for a good weekend and include the ability to cook for yourselves. The breakfast is included and is plentiful.
The only downside for us was that the rooms were all kingsize beds - we would have loved the option of twin beds and you get some great zip link king to twin beds that would be ideal. This change would move it up to five stars for me.

Room Tip: the rooms are all quiet and either look over a road or student accomodation but neither increased th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gillso
Thank you for your review and kind comments about the hotel and team. We will certainly look in to zip and link beds in some of our rooms I do agree that they would add value to a number of our guests. Thank you for the feedback.
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I guess there are only two things that bring you to Newcastle, work and parties. For me it was work and I was looking for an up marketed self-catering place which would allow me to prepare for the job as I was only engage in activities for 2 ½ days and had 6 days to chill. The reviews on tripadvisor looked good and so I decided to book into staybridges.
Reception was fast, friendly and efficient. The room looked ok, good kitchen with all the appliances, dishwasher, etc. I began unpacking just to realize a little later that there was “noise” coming from the bathroom, a leaking toilet. So packed and moved to another room. Looked great but there was no tap on the bathroom basin and the water for the hand basin was not working. Bugger that I just used the tap on the bath. Good start isn’t it? To my surprise the tap was fixed the next day without me informing housekeeping about it. However all downhill from there. It was really like buying a second hand Italian sportscar, driving it round the corner and then breaking down. And the dealer took your money. Towing it to the next repair shop only to find out that Luigi was in Italy and would not be back for a further 6 weeks. During the following 6 days the room was not serviced once. On day 6 I went to reception and requested a room service while being away for 3 hours. Guess what happened? Absolutely nothing except someone opened the curtains in the bedroom. Wow that was great. At around 5 pm I received a phone call that I had “requested” a service but due to the “not disturb sign” they did not want to come in. Wow again, you did not clean the room while I was away and then phoned later just to let me know that you have not serviced it despite my request. Mm I did not know that you had to request a room service in a “4 star hotel” in the UK, new to me. Maybe I should have bribed housekeeping for their efforts. I survived another day without service and checked out.
Buy hey the hotel remembered that I requested a service. The next day at 2 pm and despite the “do not disturb sign” staff opened the door, asking whether the room needed a clean. Not even a minute later the house keeping manager phoned to find out whether I needed a clean as I requested one yesterday. She thought I was out today. Oh really? The sign on the door was put there by someone else? Now I was seriously irritated.
So by any standard poor and unacceptable
Afterthoughts: after all do not buy an Italian car if the service lacks. Next time I will stick to Porsche again but hold on, there was none in Newcastle. It will be Toyota then, cheaper, more reliable and good service. And that is what you should do when in Newcastle. One can possibly assume that the demonstrated lack of maintainance and lack of knowledge about the state of their rooms and the appalling service cannot possibly be a “once off” event and in retrospect I am surprised that there are so many good reviews on TripAdvisor about this hotel. In addition there is no room service on the weekend-great cost savings for the hotel- the rubbish stays in the room, wonderful. In summary too expensive for what you get with the no care attitude. Interesting what such a poor experience can do to the branch. I will certainly avoid this chain at all costs unless there is no other alternatives.
P.S. If you are the manager of this establishment do not bother to respond, this was unacceptable. Not interested in your excuses.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sportsmed t
At Staybridge Suites Newcastle we are extremely proud of our ranking on Tripadvisor and it takes great customer satisfaction levels to ensure that we stay at the top which we have now managed to do for four years. This coupled with being awarded as one of the top 25 Hotels in the entire UK on Tripadvisor means that comments such as these are taken extremely seriously so we can take appropriate action for the benefit of all future guests.

The room this guest was moved to on same floor with the best of intentions (in an attempt to minimise the disruption) was accidentally to a room which had been designated 'out of order' due to the hotel waiting for a replacement tap. I regret this and apologise unreservedly for this human error which is unacceptable. This was corrected immediately the following morning.

The majority of our guests stay for long periods of time and we endeavour to provide a 'home from home' environment, hence at weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) when our guests are at 'home' and not at work we do not service the rooms unless requested to do so. This is explained at check in, on our key cards, in the lifts, on every bedroom notice board and in our in-room collateral. This is intended to be a benefit to our guests rather than a cost saving measure. Our housekeeping team are available seven days a week and room servicing can be accommodated at all times of the day or night.

In this case the room was serviced on two occasions by different team members and a further two offered, yet declined. The remainder of the time when our team went to service the room a do not disturb sign was visible which means exactly that. We eventually knocked in the evening due to the service request in the hope that the guest would be available and that the do not disturb was an oversight seeing as a service had indeed been requested – again the service was declined.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy our brand or your stay with us, however despite our evident shortcomings in this instance we are grateful that you chose to remain for the full ten day stay, it is just a shame that miscommunication regarding do not disturb notices means that we failed to wow you. I am also disappointed that we did not get chance to speak directly.
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was at least the sixth time I'd stayed at the Staybridge Suites in Newcastle and as always, it didn't disappoint. During booking, I received an upgrade to a larger suite (IHG Gold Card). On arrival the staff were not only welcoming, friendly and courteous, but the room was made available earlier than normal. On arrival in the room, a member of staff walked me through all the amenities and offer me extra milk & biscuits for the Tea & Coffee. Upon visiting the Wednesday night Manager's Reception, I founded the lobby area absolutely buzzing with great atmosphere due to a celebratory Burns' Night, complete with Bagpipes, Poetry Recital, Haggis, Neeps & Tatties... and Scotch Whiskey. The following day, check-out time was also extended without a fuss. Excellent, thank you all.

Room Tip: Only two types of suites - Standard (a Bedroom/Kitchen with a separate ensuite Bathroom) or Upgrade...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We could not fault our one room suite and the service from the friendly receptionists. As a new hotel all the soft furnishings and furniture were perfect and made our stay both comfortable and enjoyable. The room entrance door opened onto a lounge area with small kitchenette and breakfast bar. The connecting bedroom and bathroom were typical designs for modern hotels.
The hotel does not have a restaurant but a complimentary breakfast is included in the room rate. While not comparable with full service hotels the breakfast selection included fresh fruits, bagels, muffins and a hot dish as well as the usual cerials, juices, toast etc. All food was presented well and of a good quality. One nice touch is the free coffee machine available any time of day.
A big plus of this hotel is the safe off road parking. Although a charge of £8 is made per day this works out cheaper and more convenient if you are in the city for a whole day or more - on street parking is charged every day of the week in the locality. The location is about 20 minutes walk from the city centre and 5 minutes downhill to the Millenium Bridge.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple