“Great location excellent accommodation”

Staybridge Suites Newcastle
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Great location excellent accommodation”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed on a Sunday night. The accommodation is 5 minutes walk from the Quayside waterfront. Nice quiet location. Reception extremely helpful and friendly. The studio suite was superb. It had a two seater settee, good sized kitchenette with full size frigde/freezer and dishwasher. Spotlessly clean and extremely comfy bed. Bathroom had a good size walk in shower and plenty of shampoo/soaps etc. A great place to saty at a very reasonable price. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

In Newcastle as a solo I needed a place near the quays to visit the Baltic and the Sage. Staybridge has fitted the bill perfectly. Beautiful view of both from my suite. Easy walk to Newcastle station and Gateshead. I like the catering facilities and other home comforts as being on my own I tend to be in in the evening; just missed having a bath although the en suite is very nice. I really like the breakfast as not really a cooked breakfast person. The fresh orange juice and fruit salad and yogurt suit me fine. I also found the staff really friendly....can't wait for my next visit :)

Room Tip: I was early, just after 12 but checked into my room straight away. What a bonus.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have stayed here several times when taking our son back to a University, an oversight that I haven't reviewed before. We like two guest houses further out of the city and tend to stay there generally, but if we want to be close to the city centre for an evening out then this is our favoured hotel.

Plenty of parking at rear of hotel and a short walk to the lobby area. Best aspects of this hotel are the reception staff and the rooms. We cannot fault the staff who have greeted us and checked us out on each occasion. One gentleman, I believe his name is Jason is particularly pleasant and appears to really enjoy his job.

Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. We like the access to a kitchen area and facilities although we have never stayed long enough to use them fully, but a fridge, clean glasses and a bottle opener and cutlery and crockery for a light meal are much appreciated. Seating and a coffee table by the TV are useful if you want to get some work done, or just relax, there is a breakfast bar surface with plenty of plugs if you want to sit at it to use a laptop.

Only tiny niggle was at breakfast this time, scrambled egg, sausage, hash brown and a few mushrooms as hot items, which as a vegetarian was a bit dry, some beans or tomato would be nice and I think I recall them being there in the past? There are plenty of cereals, pastries, bread and fruit options so that helps. Toasters are slow so I would recommend getting your toast or bagel in first and then keeping an eye on the toaster while you assemble the other food and drink items. There are big fridges with lots of juice, water and different types of milk. Nice to see these items being kept chilled throughout the breakfast buffet time, rather than left to warm over several hours as I have seen elsewhere.

We have walked back to this hotel after visiting Brewdog in town with our son but the taxis in Newcastle are very reasonably priced and our usual option. Do be aware they get very busy in an evening so it may be best to book a return or be prepared for a long wait at peak times.

The Staybridge has a little shop area for late night munchies if you are inclined, wines and beers too. We use this occasionally, but with some forethought you have plenty of fridge and kitchen space in your room to stock up at a supermarket and that would certainly be an option if we were staying more than one night. If you were working in town temporarily and needed a base to live and work from I think this would be perfect.

In summary, a great location near the city centre, it doesn't have the amazing cooked breakfast of Hedley Hall where we have stayed on a dozen or more occasions, but if you want a welcoming and comfortable stay near Newcastle centre this is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Avoid room next to the doors close to the lift on each floor, the rooms are generally nice and quiet...
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 30 April 2014

New, clean, roomy, good sleep and bath. Quick and nice staff on comfortable rooms with small kitchen appliances. Plenty breakfast for many tastes and ‘happy hour’ gathering with snacks, beer and wine. Only two small downsides for morning sleepers: curtains don’t block sunlight coming from top and reflex on the closet mirror (get the front-rooms to minimize that). Also in a busy day 12 room doors slanting in a corridor may be a problem. There is a mid-way door to minimize that but that was always open. Management could do something.

Room Tip: If you are a late bird use ear plugs, the neighbors doors start slanting early.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank worldwideleo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

A central hotel with its own carpark is a great find. There were plenty of spaces and the carpark charge was reasonable.
The room had a kitchen area with a small dishwasher, useful for those who want to self cater however we didn't use it.
The hotel advertised that the rooms were not serviced at weekends unless guests asked. This has pros and cons. It is nice not to be disturbed on a Sunday morning but it is also nice to have your bed made and your coffee and tea replaced while you are out.
Breakfast was disappointing. The self service area was far too small and there were hardly any surfaces on which to put your plate or tray while you got a glass of juice or cup of coffee. I liked the fact that real cartons of juice were available in a fridge meaning there was none of that watered down hotel juice nonsense! The food was ok but there certainly wasn't a wow factor about breakfast.
My main complaint is about the hotel room layout. My partner didn't mind it as a bald man who rarely wears make-up, but as a woman I would like somewhere to sit and do my hair and make-up before a night out!
There was a desk with a plug socket but no mirror. There was a lovely large mirror on the wardrobe but not near a plug socket. There was a mirror on the bathroom wall but my partner can't be in the bathroom while I do my hair and make-up after waiting for the mirror to clear of steam if I am in there. Arrrrgghhhh!! I basically ended up sitting cross-legged on the floor doing my hair and make-up infront of wardrobe mirror. I know it is sexist but I swear most hotel rooms are designed by men. Women would put a seat, a surface, a mirror, a plug socket and a light all in the same place. Please sort this out.
The staff were polite and friendly and the hotel was clean and I tidy. I would stay here again possibly in a different room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Newcastle, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Kerry H,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to know you appreciate our location, staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations with your room accommodation and the breakfast. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

There's a good reason why this is no.1 in Newcastle - £85 for a night midweek in excellent quality accommodation that had all the facilities and comforts of home you could ask for.

A bed big enough to build a rudimentary fort (hey, I'm on holiday), well appointed bathroom, excellent kitchen area and the suggestion that you could get your breakfast and bring it back to your room so your girlfriend can eat in her pants. What's not to like?

I must add that the walk into town is no more than 10 minutes, and the staff where excellent, engaging in light hearted banter with guests. That's enough to get you sacked in some places.

Room Tip: Room 607 has terrific views across the river
5 Thank Red_V_Rover
Beamish, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Booked room last minute on a bank holiday sunday which cost £100. The rooms and hotel is pretty basic but clean. There was no mini bar in the room and asked for drinks we had to go downstairs and get them ourselves.
Wouldnt stay here for a holiday just as a quick stop over, nothing special!