“Badly deteriorated”
Review of The Living Room

The Living Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Living Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #491 of 1,293 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$13 - US$46
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on Grey Street in Newcastle, The Living Room is a contemporary bar and restaurant with a laid-back vibe that keeps the locals coming back for more. During the day, it's the ideal place to do business over lunch or refuel after a day of shopping. In the evening, the modern eatery fills up with a lively post-work crowd catching up over cocktails. The fixed price menu is great value for money and there is plenty to choose from with all our dishes made with top quality seasonal ingredients. With dishes such as Thai fish cakes, Monkfish and Pork Blocks that not only taste great but look it too why not come and try?
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Living Room used to be a great, stylish place for after work drinks, but my first visit back there last night after maybe a year showed it has been badly neglected and gone seriously down hill. Two of us sat at the bar but weren't even offered drinks... eventually I asked and the bartender reluctantly brought us a bottle of wine (a £54 Malbec - great wine - served in Tesco Value style small, thick glasses). I asked for a food menu, which never came. I asked for the for the manager who did come to speak to us, dressed more for a lazy Sunday at home than as the lead in a cocktail bar, and was extremely defensive and didn't offer any kind of apology in response to my complaints about the poor service. Food was decent enough, but the overall experience highly disappointing because of the service - and the bright almost kitchen style lighting didn't exactly exude style! My advice - go to Dacantus just up the road, it's infinitely more stylish and service, wine and food are fantastic.

2  Thank Dave B
Newcastlepa_11, Manager at The Living Room, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Dave,

I am sorry that the service that you received in our bar was not to our normal high standards, this is certainly not the normal level of service that we provide to our customers and we will be looking into this matter further. I hope that this has not put you off visiting us again, we are hoping to be refurbished in the near future also.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Brilliant breakfast , lots of choice , hot food cooked fresh to order, Paula and Sean great hosts, great service,
Evening restaurant , attentive staff, friendly, great food, great value menu 3 courses for £14.95 live music on Friday

1  Thank steveandkimberley

Dear Steve,

Thank you so mcu for your kind words, we will be sure to pass them on to the team, in particular Shaun and Paula. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Definitely recommend it for a meal or a drink. Prices are slightly higher than some places but worth it. Staff are friendly and the food is delicious. We didn't have desert because we didn't fancy anything off the desert menu.

Dear Dorisneo,

Thank you for your review we always welcome feedback, are there any particular dishes that you would like to see on our dessert menu?

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Nice to see the place busy on Mother's Day, so expectations were high. Slow in getting the starters, waited over 40 minutes. Soup was bland. Main course another 20 minutes after starter, Pork 2 very small pieces and when we asked if this was normal, the waiter said yes it was normal standard portion size, never mind we continued on, Husband and Son had the chicken and were wings, never said that on the menu, in fact never said what style chicken, we assumed it would be a breast. Desserts were lovely though. For £75 for the 3 of us no wine, a little on the high side and I think service could have been better.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stopped off here with my friend on the way back to our hotel and we had a cocktail each, well they were sweet, sticky, sickly and awful. I love cocktails but never have I tasted anything so yuk. The guys behind the bar were to busy drinking to pay attention to us and what we thought of their cocktails.