“Lovely staff! ”

Price range: US$13 - US$45
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Situated on Grey Street in Newcastle, The Living Room is a contemporary bar and restaurant with a laid-back vibe that keeps the locals coming back for more. During the day, it's the ideal place to do business over lunch or refuel after a day of shopping. In the evening, the modern eatery fills up with a lively post-work crowd catching up over cocktails. The fixed price menu is great value for money and there is plenty to choose from with all our dishes made with top quality seasonal ingredients. With dishes such as Thai fish cakes, Monkfish and Pork Blocks that not only taste great but look it too why not come and try?
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

First time I’ve ever walked into a bar on my own and I had such a lovely welcome. Joey was such a friendly guy with and very attentive. When my husband arrived later to meet me, I felt like I was introducing him to a long lost friend. Fab!!!

1  Thank HelenR447

Reviewed 29 April 2018

The cocktails here are rank, we ended up just leaving them as they tasted like dishwater. Why offer cocktails if you can not make them? The atmosphere in here is awful as well. Won’t be back

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Think the kitchen let front of house down as joey had to keep apologising shame as he was doing a great job. Food was good and service could not be faulted as always came back to see us

1  Thank philc532
Reviewed 20 April 2018

I found this place very friendly and welcoming though as other reviewers have said, I think there are places in town with more atmosphere. However, it is extremely convenient for the hotel next door and people in the Grey Street area of town. It is absolutely fine for drinks and a casual meal. Vegetarians are catered for and there are good fish dishes. Prices are average for this kind of place in Newcastle. I would definitely go back here, though not for a 'fine dining' experience.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We were the only table occupied in the restaurant which on a busy night in the city should have sounded all sorts of warning bells. Zero atmosphere and a bit cold in the restaurant. Decor and furniture looking a little bit tatty around the edges.
Waiter - who was also doubling up as the barman in the adjoining bar - was struggling to multitask and just rattled out a list of stuff that was "off" because of some delivery problem. This always gets me going, we're out for a meal, don't start by telling us about your delivery problems, something I don't buy anyway - send someone from the kitchen round to a supermarket and sort it out! Cutting a long story short, the starters did not arrive together and were lukewarm. Main courses arrived after we had been sat down for an hour and three quarters, simply not good enough as there was no-one else in the restaurant for them to serve! When the main courses arrived they were also cold/lukewarm and looked like they had been sat around in the kitchen for a while. Most of our guests gave up and the meals were left uneaten. No condiments were offered, no-one asked us if everything was alright. At this point we spoke to the manager and let them know we were very unhappy. Basically, it looked like they had taken our table booking but were unable to cook and serve a proper meal with the staff they had. A refund of the food cost followed, but all in all a ruined evening. My advice - avoid the place until they get their act together, there are many many better places around.

Date of visit: March 2018