“Great Steak, great service”
Review of Louis - CLOSED

Louis
Price range: US$19 - US$45
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Steak, great service”
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We visited Louis restaurant on a Saturday evening (two couples) and although slightly surprised how quiet the restaurant was initially i was very pleased with the quality of the food and the level of service provided. Excellent fillet steak, and the veal was cooked to perfection.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Danny H
The Malhotra G, Manager at Louis, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Louis Restaurant are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent dining experience with us.

We are thrilled to hear that you appreciated the quality of food and service and that you enjoyed your steak and veal - Compliments will be passed onto the chef!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we hope to see you again soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Perfect Venue for Special Occasion!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Louis was the perfect venue for my 40th family birthday celebration. The family had travelled from far and wide so I wanted to make sure everyone felt relaxed and in a comfortable environment. The staff were extremely attentive from the moment we walked in the door unitl the moment we left! Children and adults were catered for well and both service and food was delicious. I would highly recommend Louis for that special occasion where you want a more relaxed atmosphere which will accomodate children and serve delicious food! Thanks again Karen and colleagues!

The Malhotra G, Manager at Louis, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Louis Restaurant are thrilled to hear that you and your party enjoyed your recent 40th Birthday celebrations with us! We agree that our venue is a great place to celebrate those special occasions and are pleased that we were able to cater for everyone!

Thank you for your kind words regarding the service and food, they will be passed on to all the staff members - they will be thrilled to hear their hard work is appreciated.

Thank you for choosing us, and its great that you would recommend others to use us too!

We hope to see you again soon.

The Louis, Jesmond Team.
“testing time”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I like Louis despite the décor being a bit of a timewarp what with the dividing walls and spot lighting and the Faux stone cellar look. When company finances allow I would suggest a makeover to open it up, bring light and it needs a modern contemporary bistro feel to be added in. One only has to look around these days to realize how much more relaxed dining is. Adjustments of that ilk would not detract from the food.
And I will come to the food in a minute. I found the staff to be open, and friendly and approachable, this is a restaurant on a busy bar-strip in Jesmond and needs to cater for a broad spectrum.
My meal was superbly flavoursome and it seems I chose a very good wine in the Moko Black Savignon Blank, so I shall pat myself on the back for that.
The Chef (Lee Bell) was imaginatively working ingredients and tastes together to make the meal more than just ordinary and I commend him for that. I admit some of the elements I would not have used myself in that way, but I applaud his creativity. For the price of the meal there were nice touches in presentation and craft. The front of house staff did well describing the detail of the courses as they arrived, nothing fussy, just polite and keen.
Most are young and have every opportunity to learn and refine their skills if they stay in the trade. The ingredients were fresh and it was obvious because of the way they translated into flavour on plate, the lychee sorbet was intense, the slightly blackened salmon crispy in a way I like, vegetables crisp and packed with taste. I was more than fond of the duck and smoked fetta, I have to admit a weakness for smoked food. It was something that really set my tastebuds off.
The sweetness and richness of the salmon were nicely complemented by the sharp citrus, and my piece of Hake was soft-cooked but with a lovely crisp skin… I am salivating again as I type.
The meal was a success in my eyes. The blot should we call it that was a party of 3 young men (regulars perhaps) who put the staff in a very difficult position with their rowdy, loud, uncouth and inappropriate behaviour. Times are difficult these days in business and people like that can and will sour one’s view of one’s night, possibly damaging a reputation in a blink of an eye. How to handle it is never easy and I will say it dulled the enjoyment of our night, but I will return as the chances of a second night like that will be slim.
In conclusion I will say to the owners, adjust your décor to modern and contemporary, move more bistro rather than ageing Hotel. Move your lighting with the times (blue is very, very now). Give your personnel greater authority to remove difficult clients even if they are regulars, remember they would not accept that behaviour in their business ever, so no need for you to have to either.

The Malhotra G, Manager at Louis, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Louis Jesmond would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are in the process of planning a refurb so we will definitely take your comments into account - its always good to know what the customer wants.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the wine, that is a popular choice with our customers.

Thank you for your very kind words regarding the food. Lee and the rest of the chefs will be thrilled to hear that you all enjoyed your meals and that you were kept interested with the creativity of the dishes.

We apologise for the disrupt to your dining experience which may have been caused by the 3 gentleman which you have mentioned. We have since contacted the guests and informed them of the complaints which have been made.

We hope that this incident doesn't put you off returning to us in the future.

Thank you again for your review, hope to see you again soon.
“Awful”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We went to Louis to celebrate a special occasion. The restaurant inside is pleasant enough and the food that we had was ok - although nothing special. What spoiled the evening for us was the awful clientele that the restaurant seems to have.

There was a large family party in, who had all of the adults sitting together at one table and all of their children on another separate table. Great for the adults, who could enjoy their meal and wine in peace, but as their childrens table was next to us, we had to endure the constant noise and distraction of children milling about, scraping chairs etc.

Part way through our meal, the table behind us was taken by three young men who thought that the fact that they were ordering bottles of champagne, meant that the whole of the dining room should listen at full volume to the inane drivel of their conversation. When I complained to one of the staff, she referred to one of the men and said 'he comes in here all the time with his father'. No doubt the restaurant know who they prefer as clients.

We left without desserts or coffees and will not be returning. if you want a pleasant meal in civilised surroundings, I would suggest that you leave Louis to their selfish and pretentious regulars and go somewhere else.

“Gone downhill”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Used to love Louis, in fact my favourite restaurant
Menu now changed as has the management
Poor food and service
Never shall I frequent this restaurant again

• Visited July 2013