“We had a lovely night”

Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“We had a lovely night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

Been to Roscos several times since it opened and had great food but hadn't been for a while so was worried about negative reviews. Needn't have been cos we had a great night. Risotto & seafood pizza were fab. The thing I really like about this place is once you've finished your meal you can relax with a drink in the bar - you don't have to leave which you do at many restaurants. The night we were there friends were up the road at the theatre so they came and joined us afterwards for drinks and we had a great time.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Poor hygeine,poor attitude,poor quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

All my views are fair and accurate,I review good aswell as bad and am
Honest.
I went to roscos on the reccomendation of a friend who said it was middle of the road standard cheap Italian.the impression I got when i walked in was good,it is in a prime location with a nice interior and it was busy.
We were shown to our seats and orders were taken promptly.I was situated near the service hatch and open pizza oven so could see and hear what was going on.10 minutes in I saw mr Ross arceri himself,the restaurant owner and supposedly a well known restauranteur.he was inspecting a garlic bread that had come out of the oven,clearly not happy with it and telling the pizza chef to "be careful with them".
The garlic bread in question was then brought over to none other than my table.great.when my drinks finally arrived (after the starter I continued to eat this mis-shaped burnt garlic bread,I noticed again mr arceri complaining to the chef about the heat of the hot plate.he then took a plate and transferred food from it to another,using his fingers and then licking them clean afterwards.hardly the actions I would expect front of house from someone who should know better.he then (without washing hands)continued to wait tables and walk around holding a block of Parmesan which was to be grated on peoples food.
At this stage I decided I did not wish to eat there any longer.I called him over to my table and confronted him with what I had witnessed.he tried to shrug it off saying there is a sink at the hot plate where he washes his hands and tried lifting me out of my seat to show me it.I agreed it was there but he hadn't used it and asked what would be done about my bill for what I had consumed.at this point I would expect to not have paid.instead,without a word,he stormed off and sent a waitress over who slammed my bill down.I checked it and it seems they can't even get bills right as I was charged for the main course I never had.I took my bill to the bar to be ammended where i was once again confronted by mr arceri who cockily and immaturely suggested I check out his kitchen if I wanted to see his cleanliness.his nature was rude and aggressive so I told him it wasn't his kitchen but his own filthy approach to food service why I was leaving.
This restaurant has potential.it's a nice place half decent menu and reasonable prices.it's a crying shame it is run by somebody with such a poor view on cleanliness and customer service who believes a hostile attitude is one to take.
The question is,If this is considered acceptable in front of customers,then what happens behind the scenes?
For this reason i wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.it you want Italians,walk 200m to azzuri,you won't be disappointed
If you want Italians on a budget go to the top of the hill and you will be greeted in a much different manner but whatever you do avoid roscos like the plague!

1 Thank henryhoover
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Used to be great, now disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

Been going since it opened and could never fault it. Went tonight (October 2010), and it appears everything has changed. The menu has changed meaning new names for old dishes, bigger prices, smaller portions (in what we ordered). We also asked for a jug of water 3 times before it was delivered, and also a glass of wine that never arrived.
The mens loos no longer had hand soap and the ladies loos floor was covered in muddy water, no toilet paper and one cubicle had a broken seat on the floor. Even after we showed a member of staff it was still the same 2 hours later.
I complained to the Manager (Ross) who didn't really care due to having too many drinks although did say that the problem was the new Polish waitress we had who had only been there 3 days.
We also noticed that other waiters were drinking between serving, including one drinking from a can from behind the bar.
The food, however was still nice but everything else really poor.

2 Thank PaulHeritage
London, United Kingdom
“Supercilious Little Man, Newcastle people deserve better.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

We went to this restaurant on my hen night, granted we were dressed up but nothing too outrageous. I had a long red dress on as a devil outfit and my friends (there were only 5 of us) had fairy wings and halos on. We had booked a table for 8.30pm. When we arrived we too were ignored by several waiters and when one finally "noticed" us they asked us to have a seat and get a drink. We did as we were told and at 9.15pm we were still sitting there having asked 3 times if our table was ready. Eventually at 9.30pm we got shown to our table, when I was looking at the matradee with a stern look, he told me "don't look at me like that, my wife does that and it is not a good look, why are you doing that?" I replied that it was down to the fact he had kept us waiting for an hour for our table. He just shrugged his shoulders. A further 15 minutes later we got asked if we'd like anything to eat, the general consensus of the group was to leave. When we said this to the waiter, he asked us to wait while he had a word with the manager. The manager (aka Matradee) came over and said "you don't want to eat here get out of my restaurant and get them the bill, there are plenty of people who want your table" So we left. We had not eaten by 10pm and this put a slight dampener on the evening but a couple of minutes up the road and we went into Pizza Express where the staff were super and very prompt service. I would not even cross the road to go to this restaurant and I think the Manager lives on the fact he is a little, supercilious wazzock!! and people who spend there hard earned cash here are nuts. I have never been treated like that in my life and he wants to get a grip. Please do not go there.

2 Thank Decsilver
Newcastle
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

We went to Roscos to celebrate my husbands birthday, we did not book a table and so understood there would be a wait for a table. we arrived at 7.40pm and were eventually sat down at 8.50pm. I think if I had realised it would have been so long I would have gone somewhere else, but as we were pretty much ignored and then told to get another drink when we did ask - perhaps we should have just left!! Hoping that the food was as good as had been reveiwed by others we stayed. Ordering just after 9 we received our starters 30 minutes later, not too bad considering it was very busy. Mains arrived a little after 10.30pm after we had complained twice about the delay and 2 tables around us had left without eating due to the wait. At 10.45pm, even though we were still eating our table was cleared and we were again ignored until I asked for the bill at 11.10pm.

I know you are in Newcastle but a little customer service never goes amiss, complacency and restaurants do not mix and I have to say that our party of 4 will never return or recommend to anyone.

You might thoing PAH, its only 4 people but actually if I tell 8 people and they all tell 8 people..........

Suggest you send your staff on a customer services course.

2 Thank Reallyreally005