“Ok”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This place is nice enough. But I got a English breakfast and they piled the plate with beans which I didn't like. I wanted a milkshake to but it's four pounds!!!! I got one but it's defiantly not worth that.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I don't normally go for this type of place as it's often full of students in their pyjamas but you can't deny they do brilliant breakfasts. We had to queue for a while last Sunday but once seated the service was actually quite good as the place is renowned for being mega laid back. You can have almost any breakfast combination and there is plenty of vegetarian choice. I had veggie sausages with eggs Florentine minus the hollandaise sauce which was just what I wanted and my friend had an enormous chicken and bacon club sandwich. We shared a mango and strawberry smoothie which was freshly made with real fruit and we both had coffees which were ok but not a strong point. Not that it matters as you go to the Butterfly Cabinet to be fed rather than enjoy a gastronomic experience. You could sit all day, and many probably do, so it is a great place to catch up without feeling you have to leave after eating. Great value for money too.

1  Thank Genni22
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My uncle & I go to the butterfly cabinet whenever we have a chance. The food is always good, however after going today we are debating whether we would go back or not.
Firstly, the food took over an hour! Now we understand that this is a busy place, however a simple explaination to say our food may be a while would of be sufice. This did not happen. Our drinks took half an hour, we saw the waitresses talking to each other next to the till about 'how they loved the song that was on' when really they could of gotten us our drinks.
I ordered the USA (as i always do!) and I was extremely dissapointed. It was stone cold (and i heard a gentlemen on the table opposite me complain about the excate same thing) and I was rather annoyed I had to approach the waitress and complain. Do you not do check backs here? To make sure this doesn't happen? After complaining about my food all I got was 'Well do you want something else?' And when I declined due to how long the wait was the waitress very rudley said 'Fine i'll take it off your bill'
Personally, I have always found the service in this place appauling. There is no atmosphere what so ever. The food has always been lovley but after today I will not be returning. And I certainly will not be recommending this place any time soon.

3  Thank Tiffany M
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Was looking for a cafe with great US-style thick buttermilk pancakes and discovered this place online. With all the great reviews and their occasional Blues night, I thought it looked promising. It's pretty well situated for public transport with Byker Metro station within a 15 minute walk and there is a really nice park (Heaton Park) across the street. We went on a weekend but did not have to wait. In fact, service was quick and our drinks (yummy fruit smoothies & coconut iced coffee) got to our table in no time. Food service was quick but that did not detract from the taste. Two of us had breakfast (served all day): triple-chocolate pancakes and banana pancakes with butterscotch. The other meal consisted of the Thanksgiving Club sandwich. All were amazing - I had to taste each, of course. The bananas are cooked into the batter, so they basically "melt". They were also not overly sweet - just right. Same with the chocolate pancakes, though in the US, they would be typically served with cream (whipped). Minor point, really, and they were good with or without the maple syrup. The club sandwich was truly outstanding, though you need to be in a carnivorous kind of mood - it packs in turkey and sausage - and could use a bit more cranberry. But it was very delicious and served with tortilla chips and slaw. The ambiance of the place is great - lots of food for the eyes while you wait. Feels like an old theatre with red drapes and fancy ceiling displays. Overall, cool little cafe with a great Bohemian feel to it. Can't wait to return, and because it doesn't hurt the old pocketbook, I will soon!

1  Thank lunakick
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I love this place. The opening hours aren't great, closing at four on a Sunday! But there is a reason why it is queued out the door on weekends.

The food is good value and plentiful, with a menu ranging from breakfast (full English, French toast, delectable homemade pancakes) to lunch (paninis, sandwiches etc) and larger meals like burgers etc.

My favourite is the american breakfast- pancakes, sausage, bacon, hash brown, washed down with a flavoured iced tea.

My only downside is that the service normally takes forever. They are usually pretty busy, but food will take at least 15 minutes, maybe up to 30, so not the place for a quick lunch.

It is an utterly perfect breakfast spot, and really hits the mark when it comes to hungover breakfasts.

One tip, expect to queue on the weekend for at least 10 minutes, especially if you get there just at opening time or 12ish.

1  Thank DBrody