“Don't even think of staying here!”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Madison, Wisconsin
“Don't even think of staying here!”
Reviewed 27 May 2006

I wish I had seen the last two reviews before I booked this place. Never again!! I came to give a paper at a conference and it was imperative that I get some sleep the night before. Impossible. The drunks start bellowing around 6 pm and don't stop till the wee hours. I was grabbed on the street by one of them, and he just laughed when I pulled away. Another dodgy type tried to get me to come to his room when I passed him on the stairs.

The room was very grungy and there is no lift. They claim to have hairdryers in the rooms, but mine didn't have one. There's nobody on hand to help with your bags, though one fellow did help me when I finally asked, and he refused a tip. But it's not guaranteed that there will be anyone. For my 7:15 departure tomorrow, I have to call the night porter before 7 for help or he'll be gone. The staff are friendly, for the most part, though they all seem a little stressed.

I had been traveling for 10 days and was delighted to see my room had a tub. When I turned the faucet on, the water barely trickled out. The shower was slightly better.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay here, unless maybe feeling like you're at an all-night party appeals to you. Maybe it's just my bad luck to be here on a weekend, but the yelling and honking never stops. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank colette2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 May 2006

This place is a complete dump.
Most people I describe it to do not believe how bad it was. I had four rooms in three nights. ROOM 1 was on the top floor but the noise from the bar in the hotel and the street outside was atrocious as the area is basically where the drunks go to fight. ROOM 2 was allocated when I asked to be moved. The bathroom was disgusting - the toilet was still full from the last occupant, the tiles falling off the walls and mould everywhere. The carpets where in pieces and dirty to the point it was difficult to work out the colour. The walls and windows were dirty. A piece of wood had been nailed to the wall to cover over something (who know what?!). There were no facilities, not even a kettle, although seeing as the plug sockets were broken this would not matter. The alarm did not work to wake me in the morning as I had to stay in the room becuase the staff on reception had disappeared. ROOM 3 was on day 2 and lasted two minutes. Reception gave me the key to the room and when I walked in, it was occupied. The occupier was in the bathroom so I left. ROOM 4 was still a mess though slightly quieter at the back of the hotel. The final straw was when I went to breakfast on my last morning planning a cooked breakfast but was given cereals as "the cook isn't here today because the hotel isn't busy enough". Appalling....

• Stayed June 2004, travelled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2006

Nice hotel, large room, good bathroom and reasonable hotel bar and restaurant. Overall good value for money probably be back.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2004

Don't know the last time my bathroom had a good clean. There were hairs on the
floor and some worrying stains on the bathroom radiator. There is a raucous bar
on the ground floor. Ok if you are just going to roll in late and sleep there.
But there's a reason they still had rooms left when most of the other hotels in
Newcastle were full. On the positive side, staff were friendly, breakfast was
ok. Stayed November 2004.

6 Thank Cathwheels