“An enjoyable stay”

Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Leeds, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The staff at this hotel were extremely polite and friendly throughout our two night stay here. Checking in and out was quick and efficient. The room we were allocated was clean and the beds were comfortable. This hotel is convenient for the nearby Metro Centre which we reached by walking on the cycle path near to the hotel. This took us about 20 minutes to walk to the Metro Centre. I would however only have walked on this path by daylight as it was a quiet wooded path and we only met a few cyclists on it. I wouldn't recommend using it at night. This hotel had ample parking with a CCTV camera in operation on the car park. My only grumble with this hotel was part of the breakfast. The sausages were quite frankly terrible, the croissants were too hard and the toasters didn't toast. There was a good selection of fruit, yoghurts, bread rolls and cereals though. Overall though this was a pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Thank you for your review, your views are much appreciated. I have passed on your comments regarding breakfast to the breakfast team so that we can improve our service. I was most surprised and very disappointed to hear that the toaster did not toast as we have recently purchased a catering rotary toaster to try and improve the service. I will review this again to find out what the problems are.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The hotel is ideally situated for the Metro Centre, which, even though I only saw a very small part of, was very impressed with and plan another visit soon. However, I would not stay at this hotel again. Yes the room was nice and comfortable but the breakfast was VERY disappointing. I cannot beleive that a big busy hotel like this did NOT serve a rasher of bacon! The sausages that they did serve were nasty!

Thankfully we did not book an evening meal as other did on our coach trip. We dined at TGI Fridays just a few yards away from the hotel and well worth it.

We travelled with Newmarket holidays and have contacted them regarding using this hotel for further trips. If they continue to do so we will book with someone else!

I did email Holiday Inn with our comments but never had a reply!!! It looks like previous reviews made were correct about the customer service or should I say lack of it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HJS-2011-08
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay due to the lack of bacon on the breakfast buffet. As a Holiday Inn Express we offer full Continental Breakfast plus three hot items, currently the hot items we offer are Sausage, Beans and Scrambled egg.
I am very pleased to hear that you have contacted your booking agent regarding this as I am sure that they will inform you that we have never offered bacon to any of their groups as it is against our brand standard.
Further to your comment regarding the fact that the hotel has not replied. I have double checked with our guest relations team and we have had one comment regarding having no bacon on the breakfast buffet which was sent directly to them on the 5th August 2012 at 20.58pm. They then sent a reply on the 14th August 2012 at 08.47am. I apologise if you had expected a reply from the hotel however as guest relations replied directly it was not passed on to the hotel. Should you wish to discuss the matter further please contact me at any time on 01207 541 100 or by e-mail at gm@hiexpressnewcastlemetro.co.uk
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel the weekend begining 3rd August. I arrived at the desk, greeted by helpful and friendly staff. Although there were a few stag/hen parties staying in the hotel, we were allocated a room in the tower block. The room was spacious, clean and welcoming. Good location and staff are familar with the area and can recommend places to eat. The next morning, although busy, breakfast was lovely. Lots of choice, helpful staff (smiley even though the same staff were on the previous night) Wouldn highly recommend this hotel and always helps when the staff are so nice!!
Thank you!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind comments they have really boosted our hard working team. It is good to know that there are genuine honest people out there.
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed there last weekend as was on a coach trip to Edinburgh to see the edinburgh tatto.
On arrival no towels in room. Room and bathroom very dirty. Friday night got no sleep as party in hotel.
Sat went to Edinburgh. Got back to hotel after midnight. Found my case open and a new tshirt and pair of underwear missing. Went to front desk. Told need to come back in morning. Went again in morning told what you want us o do if your not happy call police. So I did. And told must have been done with a key card as no damage to door or lock. Hotel not interested.
Food in this hotel is way below average and hotel is nasty. Believe me I would not et my dog stay at this hotel and if you want rude staff. Dirty room. Crap food and your underwear and tshirts stolen this is the hotel for u
WORST HOTEL EVER

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review as you can read from all of my previous comments I am always happy to receive feedback of any kind from our guests. However it is difficult to respond to a review which is littered with inaccuracies. Therefore I respect that you have the right to air your views but cannot comment further. I can only trust that the people reading your review and subsequent further reviews which you have posted can see that there was and is a lot more to the story
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This is the 1st review I have ever written but I was compelled to do so after the worse stay at a hotel I have ever had.
We arrived at the hotel on Friday evening (3rd August ) We had pre booked an evening meal and were told that we could dine at 7.00pm.
We took our seats at 6.45pm, were presented with a starter that was so poor the Pate had started to discolour on the edges at approx 7.30pm.
Our coach driver had to organise our main course as there was no sign of it at 8.30pm.
We were then told to que for "Aunt Bessy" style home roast potatoes ( under cooked ) frozen vegetable medley ( still cold ) and Cottage Pie that can only be decribed as " Un fit for the dog "
No one to complain to as everyone in the hotel passed the buck
We were so unimpressed we didn't bother to wait for the sweet as we were so tired by 9.45pm all we wanted to do was go to our rooms.
On opening the door we found a well presented room with all the necessaries with one added bonus............ Stale cigarette stench.............. nice for non smoking guests !!!!!
One of our party has a night time visitor, so the room keys are not exactly secure.
Our coach driver had items stolen from his room while we were on our excursion and again the hotel staff were not interested when he tried to report it, infact he was told " we can't do anything about it sir"
Customer service non existant
Breakfast was nearly as bad, a choice of sausages, scrambled eggs and beans , thats it for a buffet style hot breakfast. You could have had a yougurt or some tinned fruit with a croisant but you would need a hammer and chisel to break it open
Dont go here its terrible.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review your feedback is most appreciated.
I was most concerned to hear that you felt that our buffet dinner was not up to standard and I would like to apologise for the time it took for you to receive your main course, it is a hotel standard to ensure that after starter plates are cleared that you should receive your main course within 20 minutes.
I am unable comment on your assertion that the room you stayed in smelt of smoke as I can find no report to the front desk made by any guest on the evening in question of smokey smelling rooms. The hotel is non smoking and all rooms are thoroughly aired out daily as a housekeeping standard. However if we had been made aware of the situation we would have been more than happy to take action to help.
As a standard the hotel offers a full continental breakfast plus 3 hot breakfast items these are scrambled egg, beans and sausages which you stated in your review. The travel company with which you booked are fully aware that we do not serve a full English breakfast I apologise if this is not what you had booked with them however can make no further comment as I do not represent your holiday agency. I was most concerned to hear that your croissant needed a “hammer and chisel” to break it and have spoken to our breakfast supervisor in this regard.
Thank you for allowing me the right to reply to the fact that “your coach driver had items stolen from his room and the hotel did nothing about it” , hotel policy is to call the police which we did. I appreciate that you do not have all the facts of the situation and can only comment that from the hotels point of view we took appropriate action and have proof of this. It would be inappropriate to comment further on this as it was a police matter.
east lothian, scotland
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This hotel was really comfortable, the bed being really good as I spent a lot of the time in it chocked with the cold. Breakfast was also very fabby and plenty to choose from! Nice an d close to the metro centre too, Loved it!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pigsmightfly_9
Thank you for taking the time to post a review your comments are much appreciated. Sorry to hear about the cold, summer colds are the worst.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

staff freindly,, room clean, close to metro centre what more could you want?
i was informed the evening before arrival that the hotel no longer has smoking rooms spoke to michelle who resolved the matter for me so a very big thank you

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments I have passed them on to Michelle who was very happy that she was able to solve the problem for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle upon Tyne
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Ci...
#17 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Staybridge Suites Newcastle
Staybridge Suites Newcastle
#1 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Jurys Inn Newcastle
Jurys Inn Newcastle
#26 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth...
#22 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#7 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre

Been to Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre? Share your experiences!