“Decided to try another Gateshead Hotel;”

Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Reviewed 22 October 2012

You know when you stay somewhere regularly but fancy a change...Well I did just that. Normally stay at another property in the area, but decided to try the Holiday Inn Express.

Not great is probably my fairest review on the property. Rooms felt cold and weren't particularly clean. Pricewise, it really wasn't that cheap and when you factor in a proper breakfast, which this hotel doesn't really provide, and given the fact it doesn't offer any Health Club facilities, it really wasn't for me.

Back to my old faithful hotel when in Gateshead.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. As a Holiday Inn Express we are a limited service hotel which means that unfortunately we are unable to offer health and fitness facilities on site, we can however offer a discounted membership to a local health and fitness club. The Holiday Inn Express breakfast consists of full continental breakfast and three hot breakfast choices. Currently the three breakfast choices consist of sausage, beans and scrambled eggs. We have heaters in our rooms which allow the guest to regulate the temperature to whatever their comfort level may be. I am unsure if the heater had a problem as I can see no report to maintenance over the past week that suggests that this had been reported. I apologise if the heater was not working during your stay. I also apologise that you feel that the room was not clean. I would have welcomed feedback during your stay regarding this so that we could have had the opportunity to ensure that this was dealt with immediately, as a high level of cleanliness in your room is the least you should expect from your accommodation provider. Please rest assured that I have passed on your comments to housekeeping in this regard. Regarding the pricing of the hotel we offer many different discounted rates to early bookers and corporate travellers such as yourself. Thank you for staying with us please accept my apologies that we were not able to fulfil you needs on this occasion however if you wish to have a change of scenery again in the future please contact me personally on 01207 541100 or by e-mail at gm@hiexpressnewcastlemetro.co.uk . Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here on business this week and had a poor experience - the hotel is adequate, however the room was musty, felt like it hadnt been slept in (or cleaned).
The whole place has the appearance of a borstal - the staff are helpful enough and the breakfast ok.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris J

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. Your comments are appreciated and I have passed on your points regarding the room you slept in being “musty “to our Housekeeping team. Regarding your comment that the Hotel had the "appearance of a borstal" I genuinely have to admit that I have never had a comment like this before. We have a high number of regular business guests who return to the Hotel again and again as they consider us to be a home from home. I would very much have welcomed the opportunity to speak to you regarding your views and to try and pinpoint exactly what the issue was. If you so wish please feel free to contact me on 01207 541 100 or by e-mail at gm@hiexpressnewcastlemetro.co.uk. Many thanks for your review.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Just returned from a short stay at HIExpress Newcastle Metro Centre. Read reviews prior which we're mixed, but I know what good value you get with Holiday Inn. We chose because of the required location and the Pets Are Welcome policy. Pre-booking system excellent. Very friendly welcome at check inn. Rooms are similar to all these types of hotel and I must say, everything needed, clean and tidy. Very near Metro if you are shopping. Restaurants adjacent to hotel. A really good feature for us with dogs, was the riverside walk from the hotel (actually combined with a cycle path). Even without dogs, it's nice to stretch your legs and get a bit of exercise. Very comfortable nights sleep. Breakfast very good, contrary to some reviews. Recommended hotel.

Room Tip: We had dogs and the hotel gave us a ground floor room, which was perfect
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for your review. As a regular Holiday Inn Express guest and someone who knows the brand it is very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you consider us to be as good value as our peers. It is also nice to hear that you consider our breakfast to be sufficient. Thank you once again I have passed on your comments to the team who look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed on a saturday night, the hotel was full of stag and hen parties, who made an absolute racket when coming back, from about midnight until 6am we had people running up and down the corridors and banging on doors. I should have expected it i suppose when i arrived back at the hotel at about half eight and there was a bouncer on. To top it all off the breakfast consisted of sausage and scrmbled egg. Call me old fashion but i like a full fry up when i stop in a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your comments. We do have many different types of guest staying with us both over the weekend and through the week. We do not employ a “bouncer” through the early evening, the gentleman you saw is in fact employed by our affiliated taxi company. As we have a high volume of guests travelling into the city centre and back again he ensures that at peak times every guest gets a taxi on time and receives a first class service.

Having said that the hotel does employ a reputable security company after 12pm at night to ensure that noise is kept to a minimum and that the safety and security of all guests is not compromised. This is also to ensure that problems such as you have described do not arise. As you have not stated whether you reported your problem to reception I am unable to comment further however can only state that had you reported the issue to our night team (including guest security) their response would have been immediate and resolute. For your information and in my experience almost all hotels in and around the Newcastle City centre area take the precaution of employing extra security over the weekend, this is to ensure that all guests are safe.

As standard the Holiday Inn Express offers a complimentary breakfast which consists of full Continental breakfast plus three hot items. Currently the three hot items are scrambled eggs, beans and sausage. Once again many thanks for your comments.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Very friendly staff, spotless clean rooms and comfortable beds. Ideal situation for four of us to 'shop till we dropped' firstly at Newcastle and after a good night's sleep the Metro Centre. Breakfast suited us fine. It was lovely and receptionist put us in part of hotel away from lots of school children just in case they were a bit boisterous! Only thing I would change is directions 'next to TGIFridays' is ok if you actually know where TGIF is. Oh and Krispie Kreme doughnuts recommended for your coffee break.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and also your comments regarding the directions to the hotel, we always take any suggestions on board and try to improve our service. Many thanks again.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

When you said you provided breakfast, as we are in England, I assumed you meant full english, or at least the basics of one. I like my breakfast, so naturally I was horrified to discover that when I went up to get mine that sure there were eggs, sausages, beans and bread but there was no bacon! I am sure I am not the only one and peoples memories of your hotel would be greatly improved if you provided some

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your comments, the complimentary Holiday Inn Express breakfast includes as standard full continental breakfast plus three hot breakfast items. Currently the hot items are sausage, beans and scrambled eggs. We do not advertise English breakfast however can understand that this may have caused disappointment during your stay. Many thanks.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Very helpful, friendly staff. Well maintained comfortable hotel in an ideal situation for visiting Newcastle/Hadrian's Wall or for a one-night enroute stopover. Plenty of places for eating very close by. Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo G

Thank you for your comments, we are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.