Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$104
US$100
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$77
  • Restaurant
Hotel Indigo Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$125
US$101
HotelIndigo.com
  • Restaurant
Royal Station Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$72
  • Pool
The New Northumbria Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$99
US$90
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Osborne Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$79
Travelocity
US$91
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$85
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewstgi fridaysfrankie and benniesbeanshi expresssofa bedthe breakfast areashopping triphot itemsfree breakfastminute drivebus stopcar parkbudget hotelself serviceyogurtreception staffcomfortable room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed over for one night. Rooms spacious, clean and comfortable. Everything you need. Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast included in the price. Sausages not the best in the world but there is plenty of other food. Good location. A bit out of town but there is a bus stop outside the hotel which is a good service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear RoseCambridge

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. It's great to hear your positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Our stay was for one night in September as I was taking my daughter to visit Newcastle University. The only good thing I can say was that there was plentiful parking! The girl on reception was unsmiling and not particularly helpful. The room was dim and depressing, and our outlook was on to a brick wall that was on the other side of some sort of generator or compressor that kept going all night. There was a spring sticking up in the mattress and the sofa bed had not been made up or extra pillows or towels provided. Breakfast was extremely basic, the tables weren't very clean and you even had to take your tray of dirty pots back as you would in a canteen! I think they have economised a little too much on staff numbers and customer service. I appreciate that the standards are going to be nowhere near a normal Holiday Inn, but in my opinion they were well below a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear SueDerbyshire_12

Thanks for posting your review of your recent stay with us at HIEX Newcastle Metrocentre.

I was sorry to note that our receptionist was not smiling and welcoming. This is most surprising since our staff are a very friendly team - and always try provide a warm Geordie welcome to our guests. I am unable to determine which room you might have stayed in with a view of a brick wall. The hotel has rooms with views of the River Tyne and Derwent on one side, and the Metrocentre Shopping complex on the other. Staff are always happy to offer an alternative choice, if a guest reports a fault or is unhappy with their allocated room.
The breakfast offering as a Brand Standard at Holiday Inn Express is Free and is self service. I'm sorry that this was not to your expectation. However, the cleanliness of the tables is of concern, and has been addressed with the breakfast servers.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I tried to put this on the holiday inn review that they requested but for some reason it would not be accepted.

As I was going to Newcastle on some business decided to stay for a few days with the other half and do some shopping at the Metro Centre. As we were looking to be at the Metro we decided to stay nearby so opted for the Holiday Inn Express much the same deal as elsewhere but as I had used them for business in the past and they were fairly good thought we would stay there.

Big mistake! We knew there would be some stag and hen nights but what we encountered can only be described as pure hell.

Now it’s OK to expect some groups having a few drinks and a bit of a laugh but here are just a few of what we encountered.

I went down to reception late afternoon on Saturday early evening to buy some bottled water to be greeted with a group of approx 30 to 40 young Irish lads jumping around at the reception while signing in. So not being able to get past I gave up and went back to the room and got ready to head out for dinner.

On returning that evening we watched as on lad almost unable to walk used the rear of a BMX 4X4 for support while he proceeded to vomit down the rear of the car. I’m sure it wasn’t his car.

Later that evening I popped down stairs to get some milk to notice an ambulance outside, the two medics were sitting by a chap very like the guy previously seen vomiting on the car.

Later that night the fun really started, we had fights in the car park, police and one chap directly below our window cursing his missing girl friend on the phone. It sounded like she got a better offer that night, not surprised.

Onto breakfast the Saturday was OK nothing to get excited over but did the job. However on Sunday it was like the bun fight at the OK corral. Dishes, glasses, cutlery and some food and juice ran out and what appeared to be a single person looking after this end running about like a headless chicken. With no seating to be seen we asked if it would be OK to take a tray up to our room the receptionist quickly offered and opened up the board room to allow us to sit but didn’t seem to direct anyone else into the room which allowed us to watch the antics of the hung over revelers.

In all my stays at hotels I have never seen as many people in onesies or pajamas going into a hotel dining room for breakfast.

As we left the hotel we were amazed at how many groups of people were bundling into cars and driving off a fairly short time after some heavy drinking. But there again they may have been designated drivers. Otherwise good day for the police down the road pulling drivers.

Another issue was the fact that some guests had dogs staying in the hotel. As much as I like dogs I would not have booked the Holiday Inn if I had new that they allowed pets to stay in the rooms.

Having not mentioned the room I can only say tired and possibly the worst bed I have ever slept in.

I understand some of the above is outwith the hotels control but come on where is the management responsibility gone.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Premier by the millenium bridge is good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alanrobertson73

Dear AlanRobertson73

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metrocentre.

The hotel staff always attempts to moderate the behaviour of drunken individuals, to ensure that guests are not disrupted. I am sorry that on this occasion, your stay was impacted by the behaviour of other hotel residents. We employ night security staff alongside our Reception team to combat any such reported issues. Anti social behaviour is not tolerated and with assistance of the local police, some groups were evicted from the hotel on this particular weekend. This is not a regular occurrence.

I can assure you that whilst the hotel does accept group bookings, they are usually well behaved, and well managed. The staff ensure that any unruly behaviour is contained and does not impact upon or compromise the comfort and safety of other guests.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night, and having booked in advance, got an excellent rate, which now seems to include breakfast at all Expresses
Extremely easy to find, just off AI, and extremely close to Metro Centre
Hotel is split into two wings, each having it's own lifts, which means that there is virtually no delays waiting for a lift to arrive, even although i was on the 5th floor
Only disappointment was lack of a full evening dinner menu, but there are several restaurants within easy walking distance

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Ibfmacdonald

Thank you for posting a review of your most recent stay with us. We have only recently introduced an Express Menu food offering. We do listen to the feedback from our guests, and I am certain that this menu will evolve over time.
Thanks again. We look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle in the future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have stayed in this hotel before and it is much the same as every other HIE. The staff were friendly and helpful. Where it did differ from other HIE stays was that breakfast was poor. No cutlery, no hot food left, the DIY toast cremated itself, so very disappointing. I ate cereal with a tablespoon which I had to share with my husband. If breakfast is advertised as being served at a certain time the first and last customers should surely all expect the same.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Dratsi

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that there were some issues with the breakfast offering and service. We are currently reviewing our staffing structure to ensure that our breakfast service is better managed, and that all guests are better served. Please accept our apologies on this occasion.