“Good value for money”

Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here last week and have to say it was good value,just off the A1the rooms were clean and the breakfast was good,but why no bacon,the staff were very friendly and helpful,all I could ask of a transit hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Frankandviv

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. Its great to hear you enjoyed a positive experience. The breakfast offering is IHG Express brand standard - which at the moment includes either Sausages or Bacon along with Baked Beans and Scrambled Eggs as our hot offering.
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metrocentre. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Agree with all previous reviewers who seem to have stayed at this hotel last weekend. Was very disappointed in our recent stay here. My partner and I use this hotel every year to go Christmas shopping and are usually very happy with cost, location and service. We pick this hotel due to location near Metro Center and local dining facilities (TGIs, Frankie and Bennys etc).

We stayed last weekend. Friday night was ok although noisy during the night with drunk guests making their way to rooms, banging on doors and shouting into the small hours. Earlier in the evening hotel staff seemed reluctant to confront those arriving back drunk and shouting. There did not seem to be any manager taking control of the situation arising.

Saturday night was shocking - a large group of drunk Scottish males were acting very aggressively and trying to pick fights with other people at the bar/out smoking. They had their children with them who were running riot around the bar area,standing in front of people watching football on tv, playing tig and jumping over tables and knocking chairs flying - hotel staff did nothing. The group then became very aggressive with a second group of (London?) drunks who arrived back. Guests vomiting in car park, shouting, screaming, swearing. Hotel staff did nothing and even kept serving them at the bar!!! This hotel is in need of security and fast! I would hate to be the young girl on reception dealing with all of this! I read on other trip adviser reviews that the police were called later on in the night which I am not surprised about - this should have been done much earlier in the night. The fact that children their were in the bar witnessing all of this was the most shocking part.

Sunday morning was a total joke - there was nothing left - the 'free' breakfast is served until 10:30 and we arrived about 9:45/10. Hungover guests were lounging about in pajamas and being asked to take trays to rooms as no where to sit! No cups, plates, butter, hot food! My partner had a plate of beans and I had a cup of water and a dry piece of toast. Only one man was working in this area who was running about trying to re-stock everything - and a local taxi driver was cleaning tables for them to help out! Then a tray of sausages was brought out and there was a stampede for these - and they were undercooked!! Pink in the middle!!

Would not be staying here again - considering so many other choices in the area all at similar prices. Absolute disgrace of a hotel. Do not stay here!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel instead!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear MissB8888

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. The hotel accepts that on this occasion, we were understaffed and consequently the groups were not well managed. We are currently reviewing the staffing structure at weekends to ensure that our guests are better served in future. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I can only empathise with the previous reviewer. I have never stayed at a hotel of whatever classification where the noise was so bad over the two nights that we stayed, that our sleep was disturbed by door banging, laughing,shouting,screaming and people running amok along the corridoors. This Holiday Inn seems to have been hand picked by unruly youths and young persons who think its okay to create noise and havoc when they return to the hotel in the early hours. Our first night was disturbed and on entering reception the following morning, I joined another couple at the desk who were complaining about the noise etc. The guy on reception shrugged his shoulders and said yes unfortunately when groups of youngsters return to the hotel in the early hours of the morning 'sometimes' they can be a bit boistrous! and that was it, no mention of providing security or taking any responsiblilty to see that thier other guests were ok and comfortable and not annoyed or in fear of what was going on in the corridoors of their hotel! Our second night, fared no better with people trying to get into our room - hopefully mistaking it for thiers and nothing more sinister, banging doors/walls, shouting etc. and this in the early hours, when we had hoped to get a good nights sleep ready for our drive the following day.
The room was okay, but basic, the breakfast again was basic, albeit 'complimentary, but the attitude of the hotel that the antics in the middle of the night, which was keeping their 'normal' guests awake, were almost acceptable and passed off with a shrug of the shoulder, is in my view an abdicaton of the hotels responsibility. On our second night I ended up phoning reception at circa 4.30am and asking them to come up to the fourth floor to reclaim it back from the idiots who were causing havoc with their noise and revellous antics. These were by far my two worst nights in an hotel and I would certainly not go back there;in fact I have another Holiday Inn booking for next month and my experience here has also put that now in jeopardy in case thats a similar experience. The hotel here really does need to get to grips with this problem and maybe employ (additional) security or take more care with bookings etc to ensure that things don't get out of hand as clearly they are at present.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clive h
HIEXNEWCASTLEMETRO, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Clive H

Thank you for your review of your stay at HIEX Newcastle Metrocentre. I am sorry to note that your stay was marred by the unruly behaviour of hotel guests, and that the staff did not manage this very well. The hotel was clearly understaffed on this occasion. We are currently reviewing the staffing structure to ensure that the comfort of all guests is not compromised in future.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed over for one night. Rooms spacious, clean and comfortable. Everything you need. Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast included in the price. Sausages not the best in the world but there is plenty of other food. Good location. A bit out of town but there is a bus stop outside the hotel which is a good service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear RoseCambridge

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. It's great to hear your positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Our stay was for one night in September as I was taking my daughter to visit Newcastle University. The only good thing I can say was that there was plentiful parking! The girl on reception was unsmiling and not particularly helpful. The room was dim and depressing, and our outlook was on to a brick wall that was on the other side of some sort of generator or compressor that kept going all night. There was a spring sticking up in the mattress and the sofa bed had not been made up or extra pillows or towels provided. Breakfast was extremely basic, the tables weren't very clean and you even had to take your tray of dirty pots back as you would in a canteen! I think they have economised a little too much on staff numbers and customer service. I appreciate that the standards are going to be nowhere near a normal Holiday Inn, but in my opinion they were well below a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear SueDerbyshire_12

Thanks for posting your review of your recent stay with us at HIEX Newcastle Metrocentre.

I was sorry to note that our receptionist was not smiling and welcoming. This is most surprising since our staff are a very friendly team - and always try provide a warm Geordie welcome to our guests. I am unable to determine which room you might have stayed in with a view of a brick wall. The hotel has rooms with views of the River Tyne and Derwent on one side, and the Metrocentre Shopping complex on the other. Staff are always happy to offer an alternative choice, if a guest reports a fault or is unhappy with their allocated room.
The breakfast offering as a Brand Standard at Holiday Inn Express is Free and is self service. I'm sorry that this was not to your expectation. However, the cleanliness of the tables is of concern, and has been addressed with the breakfast servers.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I tried to put this on the holiday inn review that they requested but for some reason it would not be accepted.

As I was going to Newcastle on some business decided to stay for a few days with the other half and do some shopping at the Metro Centre. As we were looking to be at the Metro we decided to stay nearby so opted for the Holiday Inn Express much the same deal as elsewhere but as I had used them for business in the past and they were fairly good thought we would stay there.

Big mistake! We knew there would be some stag and hen nights but what we encountered can only be described as pure hell.

Now it’s OK to expect some groups having a few drinks and a bit of a laugh but here are just a few of what we encountered.

I went down to reception late afternoon on Saturday early evening to buy some bottled water to be greeted with a group of approx 30 to 40 young Irish lads jumping around at the reception while signing in. So not being able to get past I gave up and went back to the room and got ready to head out for dinner.

On returning that evening we watched as on lad almost unable to walk used the rear of a BMX 4X4 for support while he proceeded to vomit down the rear of the car. I’m sure it wasn’t his car.

Later that evening I popped down stairs to get some milk to notice an ambulance outside, the two medics were sitting by a chap very like the guy previously seen vomiting on the car.

Later that night the fun really started, we had fights in the car park, police and one chap directly below our window cursing his missing girl friend on the phone. It sounded like she got a better offer that night, not surprised.

Onto breakfast the Saturday was OK nothing to get excited over but did the job. However on Sunday it was like the bun fight at the OK corral. Dishes, glasses, cutlery and some food and juice ran out and what appeared to be a single person looking after this end running about like a headless chicken. With no seating to be seen we asked if it would be OK to take a tray up to our room the receptionist quickly offered and opened up the board room to allow us to sit but didn’t seem to direct anyone else into the room which allowed us to watch the antics of the hung over revelers.

In all my stays at hotels I have never seen as many people in onesies or pajamas going into a hotel dining room for breakfast.

As we left the hotel we were amazed at how many groups of people were bundling into cars and driving off a fairly short time after some heavy drinking. But there again they may have been designated drivers. Otherwise good day for the police down the road pulling drivers.

Another issue was the fact that some guests had dogs staying in the hotel. As much as I like dogs I would not have booked the Holiday Inn if I had new that they allowed pets to stay in the rooms.

Having not mentioned the room I can only say tired and possibly the worst bed I have ever slept in.

I understand some of the above is outwith the hotels control but come on where is the management responsibility gone.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Premier by the millenium bridge is good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alanrobertson73

Dear AlanRobertson73

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metrocentre.

The hotel staff always attempts to moderate the behaviour of drunken individuals, to ensure that guests are not disrupted. I am sorry that on this occasion, your stay was impacted by the behaviour of other hotel residents. We employ night security staff alongside our Reception team to combat any such reported issues. Anti social behaviour is not tolerated and with assistance of the local police, some groups were evicted from the hotel on this particular weekend. This is not a regular occurrence.

I can assure you that whilst the hotel does accept group bookings, they are usually well behaved, and well managed. The staff ensure that any unruly behaviour is contained and does not impact upon or compromise the comfort and safety of other guests.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night, and having booked in advance, got an excellent rate, which now seems to include breakfast at all Expresses
Extremely easy to find, just off AI, and extremely close to Metro Centre
Hotel is split into two wings, each having it's own lifts, which means that there is virtually no delays waiting for a lift to arrive, even although i was on the 5th floor
Only disappointment was lack of a full evening dinner menu, but there are several restaurants within easy walking distance

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Ibfmacdonald

Thank you for posting a review of your most recent stay with us. We have only recently introduced an Express Menu food offering. We do listen to the feedback from our guests, and I am certain that this menu will evolve over time.
Thanks again. We look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle in the future.