“Such a disappointment”

Novotel Newcastle Airport
Manchester
“Such a disappointment”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I booked checked and asked for a nice roon and I was given a Superior Room. The floor was so stained in the room that I complained. Why would you have light coloured carpet in a hotel? Also, the room was so dusty, even the remote cntrol was covered in dust. The room made me feel very uncomfortable. Anyway, I was upgraded to an Executive room which means you get the same type of room but a coffee maker and a robe to wear. Both features I am not bothered about. The BOSE stereo was good though. The carpet was a bit better but still not to the standard I would expect to see even in a standard room. Thanks but no thanks. I was so disappointed by the hotel rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Many thanks for posting your review and I am genuinely sorry that you found the standard unacceptable. This is not the normal feedback we receive. If you would like to contact me directly relating to your stay, I will be please to discuss this with yo.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Why charge customers for parking? Stayed for 2 nights and couldn't ever get an actual space. Questioned the £10 fee and was told it was to stop people dumping their cars and then taking the metro to work. Why punish people staying in the hotel? Would put me off staying again. Average room, breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2012
Many thanks for the feedback following your recent stay at the hotel, and specifically you comments relating to car parking. The hotel does charge for parking and as yuo have observed during your stay, the car park becomes very busy, especially with guests parking and flying for holidays. Please also note that we do offer some parking inclusive offers which give discounted rates which you may useful. Thanks for the comments relating to breakfast. Look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

I've stayed a couple of times here as it is in a very convenient place and offers a really great breakfast buffet from 5:30am (really useful for me). The rooms are very comfortable and spacious, with a great bathroom/shower and nice to see some Eco-friendly bathroom products. All in all very nice. HOWEVER, when paying £90 for a room I do not expect to have to pay for parking in the hotels car park! I also think that these days you shouldn't really have to pay for wifi Internet, you can get it free in most pubs, bars, eateries and most b&b's and hotels, so to pay for it at a hotel like this is a bit old fashioned.

Staff were 'hit and miss' some were very helpful and friendly, one was not so much.

I would stay here again because the availability of the early breakfast and it's convenience, but there's room for improvement.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pterodroma
, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Thanks you for posting your review and I am pleased to receive your comments. Breakfast starts at 05.00 am specifically for Park and Fly guests - or anyone who needs to operate at such early hours. I note your comments on both internet and car parking and I am plesed to confirm that we are now offering free parking and internet offers on specific periods.
Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Yarm on Tees UK
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Each time we stay here the Park & Fly arrangements seem to change. This time they were using taxis rather than their own transport and we found this to be excellent. Taxi waiting to take us to the airport at the time requested and on our return walked straight to the taxi rank and no waiting to get back to our car.
The room was excellent, staff friendly and helpful and a reasonably priced well chosen restaurant menu - fairly small choice but adequate and varied.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review detailing your experience of Park and Fly. This is a great way to get your holiday started early. Look out for the special offers available direct on Novotel.com website. You will always get the best price here rather than spending time chasing around the net.

Pleased you enjoyed the new stavel arrangements, and as you said, this is pretty much a bespoke service.

Look forward to welcoming you back.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We got moved here as something happened with our original Hotel

Room was huge and really clean
Great Bathroom very modern design
Opted for the Hot Breakfast at check in

Hot breakfast had a great tasty selection - loads of lovely fresh fruit inc melon and strawberries
A selection of Juices and cereal

Super friendly staff

About 8-9 pounds in a taxi to town

would stay again no doubt

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thanks for placing your review on the site. I am delighted you had the opportunity to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back for the next visit.
Stockton, UK
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I would not normally choose to stay so far away from a city but another hotel in the city centre cancelled on me at the day before. However, I enjoyed my one-night stay, the staff were very helpful and friendly, the rooms were clean and large and the pre-paid buffet breakfast was tasty and very good value for money.

Note. The hotel is actually not located at the airport like some of the other airport hotels in Newcastle but it is only about a five minute taxi ride away.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mackyUK
Many thanks for pleacing your review. We are located a few minutes by taxi transfer from the airport which is normally included in our rates with the airport packages. I am very pleased that you liked the facilities and services.

I look forward to welcoming you back.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We've just returned from a weekend away at this hotel. It's a great place to stay. There's a lot to say about the Hotel, so bear with us.
My Wife and I decided to stay at this branch of Novotel after noticing it on a trip back from Edinburgh as it's ideally located for anyone wanting to visit Newcastle, the Metrocentre & Ikea.
We booked 2 nights on fairly short notice without breakfast, however on arrival we were offered the chance to add breakfast for half price when booking in. We took advantage of this offer, had breakfast in our room and it was very good.
The Hotel was busy with a wedding reception but we were not kept waiting. Our room was on the top floor and was peaceful throughout our entire stay. We used the indoor pool twice and on both occasions we had it to ourselves; it's not very big but certainly a pleasant way to unwind. On our second night we ordered food in the bar. Although the bar area itself looks a little worn out and could do with a better layout (eg. another TV so the best seats don't have to sit with their backs to it) this did not spoil our meal which was excellent as was the service considering how late it was.
The room was excellent; large comfortable bed and plenty of space. The bed linens in particular were very crisp and clean (we have to replace ours at home now!). As always the layout was perfect; anyone familiar with a Novotel rooms will know they have one very good design so they stuck with it. There was one small concern with the tap water which smelt odd; something chemical, a bit like a photolab. Unfortunately I forgot to mention this during the checkout. Though the shower & bath water both smelt fine and we are both very much alive last time I checked.
Checkout was easy, parking was reasonable at £5 per night and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Would recommend this Hotel to anyone and will be staying there next time we visit Newcastle.

Room Tip: These tips are general to Novotel. Book at least 30 days in advance if you can to get a discount, re...