“Disappointed already and I just checked in!”

Novotel Newcastle Airport
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Just checked in, one if those 'paid for an executive rooms but I know that despite what they tell me, it's not one!' moments.

I know what I am saying, I stay in hotels 4 nights a week and sell hotels like this for a career!

1  Thank Paulm7067
sha909, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Thanks you for placing your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry the experience did not meet your expectations on this occasion. During your visit, my team do not appear to have been made aware of the issues - they would have possibly had the opportunity to change bedroom for you. Should you wish to discuss the experience any further, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Stayed one night after a flight in at 2 am.
Staff were all excellent however hacing picked this hotel due to the modern and contemporary decor of the room I am astounded when we went to our room.
Carpets on the 3rd floor hallway are very tatty and dirty looking. Doors are old wood 70's style and with an actual old style metal KEY entry- never a good sign. The room layout was bizarre- a separate toilet which you had to come out of and then enter the bathroom to get to a sink to wash your hands- how unhygienic is it to go through 2 doors to get to wash your hands?
Room has cracks in the ceiling. Walls were papered in the old thick style used to cover rough walls in old flats etc. Overall the room was very dated and the toilet set up defied belief.
The bathroom (with no toilet in it) was clearly modern and a recent addition but it just seemed totally out of place in such a dated room and a cheap attempt at making the room acceptable.
I have looked again at the photos on the webpage because I thought I had booked the wrong hotel after seeing the room. The ones in the photos look modern with Japanese style doors to the bathroom which I can see has the same tiling/ update ours had.
I can't understand why they did not knock a wall down between the WC and bathroom to make it one normal bathroom!
The plus points- all hotel staff we met were very friendly and helpful, from reception to the breakfast waiting staff. One member of breakfast staff was particularly helpful an not fazed by the mess my baby made. Te breakfast was also excellent plenty of choice, great food and all hot.
It is disappointing because despite these 2 aspects being great, overall I would not use this hotel again simply because of the room as this is what I pay my money for. I have not stayed in a hotel chain with a room this dated in my whole life. It is of the quality a very dated £25 a night B and B would offer. It may be that they are refurbishing rooms- I don't know??? But if you take a ride to the 3rd floor and just even look along the corridor at the room DOORS you will know what I mean. A shame because if the room has been good the stay would have been great when combined with the staff, breakfast area and food itself.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room was awful. Can't speak for the rest
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank juliebond007
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night and got a fantastic room. King size bed, double frosted glass doors to a fab bathroom with bath and separate shower and dressing table with mirror over. Could watch TV from the bath if you wanted. Completely separate loo which is a great idea. Fantastic Buffett breakfast with the best hash browns!
The only niggle we had was the bed linen was like sleeping in a paper bag. Hard as nails and crinkly a bit like a crisp packet. The pillows were naff too. It wasn't just my thoughts, my sister and brother-in-law in another room thought the same.
Staff brilliant especially on reception.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks you for the review on the site following your recent stay. I am very pleased you liked the facilities and the team on duty. I note the comments relating to the linen. Just a point for your next visit - there are options tochange to firmer or softer pillows - we store the alternatives in the bedroom. Thanks again and hope you stay again.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Me and my partner are on our first holiday and we came here. The hotel is situated near to the A1 and not far on a bus from the Meteocente (get bus 6) and roughly a 15 minute drive from the town centre. The hotel is hard to get to oddly so I recommend you get the bus 100 to meteocentre and then get bus 6 back as there's a bus stop near the hotel.

Just down the road is a 24hr Tesco, McDonalds and a few other shops. The staff in the hotel are very friendly and make you feel welcome. The swimming pool and gym are open from 6am - 10pm and food served until 11. But I found the food expensive for what it is as I work in a 5 star AA pub/restraunt. They have a good choice of alcohol too. A 2 minute walk around the corner is Toby's carvery which do all you can eat breakfast from 8 - 11 and costs just under £12 per person! Very highly recommended! Wifi and film package is €9.99 yes euros but hey, but that is for 24hrs only and you pay to stay in car park.

Apart from those few little niggles its a fantastic hotel, I recommend it and we will be staying there again, overall it's 4/5 from me.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for placing your review on the site. I am plesed that you enjoyed the facilities and services. Do try the food in Elements next time you stay, as we offer great menus and regular specials at attractive prices. The experience is far better when you can sit and enjoy your food in very comfortable surroundings.
Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We spent a night here before flying home. It's a very clean and comfortable hotel. The staff were great , very friendly.
We had dinner in the hotel and the meal was very nice. They also provided prompt taxi service to the airport. We will stay here on our next trip to England. Thanks

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for placing your review following your recent Park and Fly stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities. We offer great advance purchase rates on Pand F - book as early as possible for the best pre-paid deals. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed here while doing the great north run the room was comfortable and the Hotel was smart and modern the staff where helpful and pleasent to deal with. My only small gripe was that the breakfast staff seemed a bit unattentive and the buffet style hot food was a bit dry and had been there a while.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for the comments following your recent stay at Novotel. I note the points re the breakfast and will check this out thoroughly. Regards

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for work reasons so was chosen as local to the office. I stay in a hotel for work about once a week so a regular traveler.
The room was basic, separate toilet room which was very small and cramped and then a separate shower. The kettle lid was broken, which meant as i poured hot water the lid fell off, very dangerous. My room was also really cold, i tried the thermostat on the wall but made no difference - phoned reception and apparently the hotel doesn't have heating so they delivered a little blow heater to my room. this made no difference and i was not offered an extra duvet or anything.I think heating in a hotel is a basic requirement plus my written confirmation for the booking confirmed heating.
Dinner was shocking - i went down to the restaurant and chose the Lamb. This was Lamb with Asparagus and Cabbage Mash (£15.95) and i choose a side order of Broccoli (£3) as i knew i would not eat the mashed potato. It has 3 sprigs of Asparagus and the mashed potato was not fresh. The broccoli was mainly stem (see the picture) and the stems were raw so not eaten and had maybe 5 heads which were edible. So it cost £19 for some pre-heated Microwaved mash potato, 3 small sections of lamb, 3 asparagus sprigs and stemmed raw broccoli - glad i wasn't paying for my food. I ordered a cup of tea but they only had Full Fat milk - i cant drink this but had no skimmed or even semi skimmed milk so opted for tap water. I am not a fussy eater at all but like to follow a healthy diet and therefore felt that offering milk was a basic standard of a hotel. I therefore left the restaurant hungry.
Breakfast was £13.95 for a full buffet - this was fine but massively overpriced in my opinion. I asked reception the night before to order me some skimmed milk so had that for breakfast and it was there so cheered me up slightly.

I put a complaint in with the hotel and have given the General manager by opinion but overall i think the visit including food was massively over priced, poor room standards and poor food.... defiantly be sticking with a Premier Inn going forward.

Room Tip: Dont stay at all !!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank millz090
sha909, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Thank you for placing your review on the site and I am genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Following our discussion in following up the complaint last week, and the direct compensation which was forwarded to you personally, please call me if you wish to discuss the complaint further.Thank you again.