“overnight stay”

Novotel Newcastle Airport
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We found the Hotel very pleasant and staff same. We had booked a twin room and were given a key to room 131 which had just been cleaned. We found it had a double bed and a bed settee pulled down and made up. There was a very nice girl outside the room and we asked her to put the bed settee back to a settee otherwise there was nowhere to sit. I must point out that the carpet was really really dirty, needing shampood or replaced. If we had been staying longer than one night, then we would certainly not had accepted this room. Would be very interested in your reply to this . Thanking You. Ann McGuire

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Ann M
SHodgson, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
"Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable. I have noted your comments relating to the carpet and will ensure this is renewed. Many thanks for your feedback. [General Manager Sheena Hodgson]
"

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Although the room was quite clean and comfortable the staff weren't as friendly as we have had at other hotels or motels. They answered questions etc but didn't go any further and didn't seem to know much about the various tourist attractions. The 5 pound parking fee was a surprise as when we booked this hotel (from New Zealand) there was no mention as having tom pay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
"Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Kind regards, [General Manager Sheena Hodgson]
Renfrew, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with the family and the hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The common are down stairs is well presented, but the corridors and carpets are starting to look tired. The bathroom pod was clean but the toilet flush was temperamental.
A little surprised by the £5 parking fee. It's not a big deal but would be nice to know prior to booking, not as you check out. At least we will know if there is a next time.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Merlinford
SHodgson, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
"Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable. Informaion on carparking being chargeable is on our website, and this is priced separaely to ensure the great value of the bedroom is clearly seen. Hope to welcome you back in the future."

[General Manager Sheena Hodgson]
teesside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed for one night as a family of four, with two boys aged 7 and 6.
The initial reception was functional rather than warm and welcoming, an attitude that was evident with all staff that we had contact with.
The room was a family room with a queen bed and sofa bed, and was very comfortable.
We had breakfast which was very good--if you book online and book the breakfast at this point , there is a reduction in the price and kids eat free
In summary a very functional hotel which for the price we paid for a Friday night was very good value for money

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
"Thank you very much for your review, I am plesed that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Newcastle Airport. FOr ease of booking, always reserve on Novotel.com to get the best available rates, you will never find a cheaper room elsewhere and will save lots of time in the research. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, [General Manager Sheena Hodgson]
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and when searching on Expedia and this hotel was shown as available I didn't hesitate to make a booking. I would rather use a hotel we have stayed at before rather then try out a new one. The problem is I have just found out how bad the customer service is. There is an old saying that you don't know how good a business is until something goes wrong. Well something went wrong and I now know they are a terrible business.

I made a new booking for Sat 15th but by mistake it went through as 15th Mar instead of 15th Feb. I realised the mistake as soon as the confirmation email came through. Rather then wait until the next morning I called Expedia straight away, they said they need to speak to the hotel to make a change so they called the hotel straight away but could only speak to a 'junior' member of staff who couldn't make a decision re amending the booking. So I was told to call back in the morning.

I called Expedia at 9:00am the next morning and they called the Hotel again and after 25 mins on hold I was told that the hotel refused to change the booking in any way. I couldn't believe this so asked to speak to the hotel directly. I did I spoke to Mr Raman, the general manager Sheena wouldn't speak to me directly but after 8 mins on hold I was told again that they would amend the booking or make a refund. I explained this was an error and that was recognised within 60 seconds of making the booking and I called straight away but they didn't care. I was told by Mr Raman that as a hotel they can never look at the individual circumstances and that they never allow changes to bookings especially through Expedia or other third parties. I said again that I called with 60 secs of the confirmation and that the date booked was over a month away but this made no difference. He said it makes no difference, we get these kind of calls all the time. I explained that this seems pretty poor customer service but he told me it wasn't.

It seems a pretty poor customer service to me, but clearly the management of this hotel consider there own opinion to be much more important than what a customer actually thinks. Don't wait until you have a problem to find out how bad they are just don't bother booking in the first place, I know I won't be booking again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank AlanBrownBread
Thank you for your feedback. I beleive over the course of many telephone calls, we have confirmed the internet booking policy for prepaid bookings which are non-refundable. Our company always offers fully flexible options to each booking which can be cancelled and changed up to the day of arrival. I hope this helps clarify our position. Many thanks, Sheena Hodgson General Manager
Brentwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business, travelling alone. The staff were friendly and helpful and the reception area and bar were smart, but the rooms upstairs were not good. The carpets seemed old and the 3rd floor corridor smelt quite strongly of cigarette smoke. My room was not well lit and quite cold (even after a member of staff checked the heater). The car park is £5 per day and the free wi-fi is quite slow (you can pay to upgrade to 'premium wif-fi'). I think if it was refurbished it would be a good hotel, but at the moment it does not seem quite up to standard.

Room Tip: 3rd floor smells of cigarette smoke
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate L
"Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness with a view to continually improving our services and facilities. We will be investigating this matter accordingly. Kind regards, [General Manager Sheena Hodgson "
Conwy, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I left my expensive dress in the room by accident and realised the same day id checked out that I had left it in the room, due to living 4 hours away I rang up to see if they could send it me. They said they didn't have it, when I fully knew they did! Rang 3 times and waited for them to ring me back and got no phone call. Very disappointed that someone has taken it.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Alice J
SHodgson, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your review which I am very disturbed to read. Please call me at your earliest convenience to see is I can assist in any way to resolve the problem.
Sheena Hodgson General Mnager