1,502 results
All reviews toby carvery separate toilet pancake machine kingston park parking charge swimming pool newcastle airport city centre per night executive room metro station the sofa bed family room an overnight stay pleasant stay breakfast was excellent an early flight
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

Firstly, I stayed the evening prior to the Great North Run, so I am assuming I paid more that the average room rate - but I will review based on the price I paid.

Firstly - it is not an airport hotel - it is a short distance, but not on airport property and is a few metro stops away.

The hotel is quite big and has ample parking (although it is charged). The reception area is massive, but doesn't seem to have a flow or particularly nice decor.

Checking in done the job, the receptionist was capable but didn't want to chat and didn't make me feel particularly welcome. Making my way to the room I noticed desks stacked in a vestibule. The lifts were dated but worked. Carpets in the corridors were worn and not well fitting. The corridors themselves are soleless.

The room was fine. Clean enough, but not as imaculate as some other hotels. The bedsheets and pillows were spotless. I get the feeling the room has had its future replaced recently. There were lots of empty white walls and could have done with a picture. The nets at the window were in need of a good clean.

A few things in the room were poor show. There were a couple of stains on the carpet, and the bed side light was just hanging onto the wall.

The bathroom is odd. It is split, with the sink and shower in one section and toilet in another. I get the feeling to this was an afterthought as the lack of a sink in the toilet 'room' does no allow for hand washing.

The breakfast was very overpriced. I spoke to people who said it was "fine" but not worth the cost. There are several local offerings within minutes walk which look better value.

I paid a fair amount for my nights stay. It was frustrating that the hotel wanted more for parking, then breakfast, and to use the pool etc. This hotel was not good value for the amount I paid, but their standard room rate is much less and it would be fine.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Sheena H, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

"Thank you for your comments, and detailed feedback following your Great North Run weekend stay.
I am genuinely sorry that you were not fully satisfied with some elements of your stay. I am concerned
that you felt unwelcomed and as a customer service business, this is a vital part of our service and will investigate accordingly
this issue. I note your comments regarding certain aspects of the room layout (notably separate bathroom and toilet) and can
confirm that this is the style of the original Novotels - which is now being changed in refurbishments.
Finally we do charge for elements such as rooms / breakfast and parking separately, but we do not charge for use of the leisure area. Thank you again for the feedback, which is very useful in continually reviewing our standards and services. Kind regards, [General Manager Sheena Hodgson]

Reviewed 6 September 2018

The carpet in our room was stained in quite a few places. The sheets on the pullout sofa were stained, the sink in the bathroom didn't drain properly. There was a packet of half eaten sweets in the drawer from a previous guest that luckily I was able to stop my 2yr old from eating!! The hotel has great potential but these are basic things that can be fixed/avoided from housekeeping.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

"I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on sheena.hodgson@accor.com to verify contact details and I will come back to you. Kind regards, [General Manager Sheena Hodgson]

Reviewed 5 September 2018

Good hotel, with plesent reception staff, we have stayed previously so know what to expect!although, bathroom is good and room good, the corridor and general decor of the room look a bit tired.But sheets clean, television, kettle, cups and drinks in room, so cannot really complain.We also had Breakfast which was good as always.

Date of stay: September 2018
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

"Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, [General Manager Sheena Hodgson]

Reviewed 4 September 2018

I stayed with my family in Novotel Milton Keynes few weeks back and I felt that I was a bit harsh when I reviewed the hotel and that my expectations were perhaps to high compare to most of the other reviewers.
I was determine this time to be more laid back and less judgmental with this hotel and score them on the service they deliver rather than on what I expect them to deliver.
When we arrived we were as in Milton Keynes we were very pleased with the location and the grounds of the hotel which were well maintained. A lot of greenery, a big retail park with a metro station to the city Centre down the road and a Toby Carvery just next door we were chuffed as they would say up there.
However our joy only lasted as far as the reception desk when we came across the most miserable receptionist in the world. We have travelled and used hotels in France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Morocco and the USA plus London and all over the UK so it is saying something.
No smile, no greeting, just stood in a very rigid posture waiting and the first thing we were asked to do was to pay £12 for car parking up front, yes no subtlety whatsoever either. This made me feel as if they expected me to do a runner without paying the parking charge. In my job I have regularly used 4 / 5 stars hotels and stayed in places where the car park was £25 / £40 per night never have I been required to pay up front! Also I booked through Booking.com so the hotel had my CC details and could have easily added the charge to my bill.
Then we asked to use the swimming pool, but for some reason he seemed slightly reluctant and just told us what to do without giving us access and we understood why a bit later...
We were given room 116 and our mistake was to go up dropped our bags, get change and head to the swimming pool without checking the room.
After we got all the info to access the swimming pool we finally got there and where to begin: in the male changing rooms there was 8 lockers and every single one of them was broken and did not work. We could not leave our bag with our belongings in there. In the shower the rail fell of the wall when we switch the shower on it was also broken. The hair dryer hose pipe was ripped and hot air was blowing directly on to our hand which could have caused serious burns. This is a major health and safety issue especially in an environment full of water.
The water in the pool was very cold and certainly not at correct temperature.
There was no pool attendant, no supervisor, no staff around at all.
We decided to not use the pool after my wife came out of the female changing room unable to use the lockers in there either and store the bag we had given her safely.
We returned to our room very disappointed only to be once again slapped in the face we the neglect this chain of hotels is blatantly showing.
We had grubby and dirty walls, a broken television, stains all over the carpet, filthy net curtains hanging by one thread ready to drop and not to mention the usual cobwebs on the ceiling. We were left fuming!
As former hotel managers ourselves we decided to go for a meal to the Toby Carvery to cool down and complain on our return,
We complained politely to the assistant manager Steve on our return who eventually after coming to check our room moved us to another room (228) which was slightly better having a mini fridge, a safe etc. We were told this was an upgrade however, the fridge was empty and did not work and the use of the safe was no free of charge when all these facilities came with the room in Milton Keynes and even the car park was free of charge there as well! Our stay had already been spoiled and we will not be using this chain again.
This hotels have so much potential and with a better management from the area managers and the GM they could do a lot better and be top of the market as they have the products and the location to achieve this easily. What a shame.

Room tip: Refuse room 116 and do not use the swimming pool!
2  Thank abdeltifmeknassi
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I have stopped at this hotel for years now, but I felt the superior room i was allocated was a little neglected, the shower door was badly fitted and let water onto the floor and the shower head was broken, on top of this, the continuous noise from the compressors on the roof above our room was intense and we had a disturbed sleep on both nights. apart from that the staff as usual were very helpful and polite.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

"Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Kind regards, [General Manager Sheena Hodgson)