“Hostel! Dirty & Falling Apart”
Review of Whites Hotel

Whites Hotel
Doncaster
“Hostel! Dirty & Falling Apart”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Never in my life have I written a review but on our recent stay here had to worn people how BAD this place is, its smelly, creeky, small, shower didnt work, had no bath, tv didnt work, door for bathroom was literally falling off (didnt actually fit thr frame), the net curtain was black, will say that the towels and bed was clean but thats all, the toilet had no flush it was a blob of masking that u had to touch yuk, also all tiles on floor in bathroom were cracked, all walls were smeared with dirt and carpet was horrendous, we had a groupon deal for 2 night but checked out after 1st night as couldnt of stayed there for 2, the meal included in the groupon meal was ok and the bar blanc underneath was nice and modern but they really to knock the hotel downn start again, the staff were lovley but are clearly embarrassed of the hotel as they must of asked us 10 times if our room was ok, we didnt complain to the staff as its not there fault, and couldn't of got a refund anyway as bought through Groupon. Please people DONOT stay here, you have been warned (for our second night we stayed over the road at The New Northumbria which as stunning and highly recommended) this was a little honeymoon break which we will not forget!! (Oh and andthe hairdryer and tvs pat testing ran out years ago)

Room Tip: Go to the New Northumbria over road
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Good Hotel in a great location with very friendly staff. Enjoyed a 2 Night stay on the weekend of the Great North Run which is within walking distance of the starting area. Enjoyed a nice breakfast at the Hotel in the morning followed by a few drinks at night in the bar. Several bars and restaurants nearby on Osbourne road with a great Atmosphere. Definitely would stay again.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Very basic badly decored little room.Extremly minimalistic.Broken furniture.shower was hot and cold with no pressure.Hallways stunk of piss.The price of £80 a night is nothing far short of daylight robbery.Absolutely disgraceful.Wouldnt gave this this room to my worst enemy.
Only plus side was the staff in the bar were honest and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Butterfly001979

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I stayed after purchasing a Groupon deal for our wedding anniversary, when we pulled up into the car park we should have realised then that this wasn't the type of hotel for us.

The outside of the back of the hotel was shabby to say the least, the carpet in the corridor leading from the hotel entrance to reception was sticking to our shoes and smelt awful. The young lady on reception was very pleasant and helpful, things were looking up!

The room numbering system was confusing and we found it difficult to find our room as our room number wasn't listed on the plaque on the door advising which rooms were on this floor.

Our room was basic, cramped and the floor was filthy.

Night 1 extremely noisy in the corridor sounded as though other guests were running up and down the corridors worst for wear due to Happy Hour next door. Also at 2.30 ish trouble outside in the car part, just outside our window, from guests who were locked out.

Night 2 was even noisier that night 1, very drunken guests getting lost and hammering on the wrong doors wanting to be let in, this continued well into the early hours. When I spoke with reception the next morning to check out they seemed genuinely concerned that we'd had an awful experience. I was asked why I hadn't contacted the night porter to raise concern earlier, I asked on what telephone was I expected to have used as there wasn't a telephone in the room and thinking about it now I don't remember there being a contact list in the room either.

The deal included a 2 course meal for 2 with wine - Oh boy to say the meal was basic is an understatement.

I appreciate we only paid £65.00 for 2 for 2 nights but when the offer advised that you've saved 70% you expect that there will be some standards.

There are so many quality hotels in the area I wished we'd done our homework and not rushed into buying a Groupon offer - Lesson learnt.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We (myself and 3 friends) stayed here as part of a Groupon deal for my birthday. Was a bit apprehensive after reading the reviews and seeing the price (£65 for a double room, 2 course meal, free glass of wine for 2 nights) but I had nothing to fear. The rooms were clean, basic but clean and what you needed for a girls nights or two away. Staff were friendly. The only let down was the food. Food was extremely poor should would advise not to eat there whatsoever, its not worth taking the risk!! There are plently of decent eating places, pubs and restaurants surrounding so went there instead where the food was extremely reasonably priced and yummy. Car Park behind for free parking was a little tricky to maneouve but cant complain. Overall had a brilliant birthday weekend just dont eat in the restaurant although they did give us an additional free stay for the poor food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Like many other people, reading the reviews I was more than worried about staying in this hotel.

I'm 20 years old and have an eye for good deals. For £65.00, two nights, a free meal with Wine I thought I couldn't go wrong.

First impressions were okay. Hotel provides a car park that isn't busy at all so isn't a problem getting a space. Walking through to the reception area the hotel seemed a bit old and maybe needed a little bit of a refurb. However the receptionist was very polite and happy and made my girlfriend and I feel very welcome. She granted our groupon voucher and said last orders are at 7:45. It doesn't mention this on Groupon so if you have purchased this. Take note, otherwise you won't get your free meal. Luckily we arrived in Newcastle at 6:00 and was enough time to get into the restaurant and order our food.

30 minutes later our food still hadn't arrived so I knew there was a problem. I instantly thought, uh oh. Should of listened to the reviews!

Luke, whom I think was the manager was incredibly apologetic and said the kitchen had closed. However was dish something up on the house with a free bottle of Wine, and the free meal the next day instead.

I accepted the apology as I thought ah well, cheap night and it isn't as if I've now lost my free meal. I said we didn't really fancy any wine so Luke suggested us to have 'a couple drinks on the house'. Again I thought great, cheap night. We ended up not paying for a single drink!
Some people staying at the hotel may of not liked these circumstances but I thought that was brilliant customer service. All the bar staff was polite and friendly. We ended up having a quiet night in the hotel for a few drinks and going to bed. In which Luke offered a free bottle of wine with a couple of glasses to take to our room.

The room was small, but did the job. A bed to satisfactory. Clean. Bath and some toiletries were included. (Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel). Flat screen TV with freeview. Wardrobe and draws. Also a kettle with coffee, tea and hot chocolate. For just over £30 per night, I thought brilliant.

The second night we ordered our food. We both had Nachos for starter which were nice. I had half a roast chicken, mash and chips. Was very nice. My girlfriend had a cheese panini which she said was very nice but couldn't finish.

Sunday came and it was sad to be going home. I felt hungover and very tired because of the bloody 11am check out. Yep, I'm lazy.

This time there was a different receptionist who seemed pretty miserable. But I didn't really care as I was leaving! We had one last drink. (ALCOHOL FREE!) and some cheesey chips. Which was okay and left to go home.

Overall I think it was good service. Acceptable rooms. Drinks weren't too price. The ones that we did buy! I would stay again and to be honest would be prepared to pay a little more if the free meal was included.

Do not be put off by reviews. I'm not sure what people expect for the money they pay. Get yourselves on secret escapes if you want something a bit more classy.

Any questions I'll be happy to help.

1 Thank Dan M
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

After reading the reviews on here, It fair to say that I was dreading staying in this hotel for a hen weekend in Newcastle. I expected to see a run down and dirty hotel. Instead I found a clean, and tidy hotel. Yes it not the Savoy but then what do you expect for £35 a night.
The rooms where clean, bathroom was news furbished and very modern and the breakfast was just what we needed after a night out.

Staff where really friendly, just one small problem, was told on booking that they normally insist in a £30 room deposit (they cater for lots of Hen and Stag parties) But since we looks like nice mature ladies they would not take it from us! (Nice to be made to feel old before the weekend even started!!!)

This has shown me not to always go by what other people post.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends