“Rather disappointing”

The Vermont Hotel
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Rather disappointing”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here with my partner on Saturday 17th November, as a special pre Christmas treat. This is not what I would consider a 4* Hotel. The room was drab the carpet dirty and the mattress was without doubt the lumpiest and most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. It was like a cast odd from bad lads army!!. The breakfast in the morning was self service and the presentation of the buffet resembled a road smash, the fried eggs were congealed, all thrown on top of each other with bust yolks....I certainly think someone had upset the chef!!, and the sausage and bacon looked under cooked and very unnappetising, we had no cups on our table and butters and jams had not been replenished and used plates were not removed....generally a very unsatisfactory overall standard. This was a Living Social Deal purchase, and I feel perhaps we may have been given a budget room but would still expect a certain standard which was clearly not met.I would not have paid the full price for this standard of accommodation. I would not return even if they were giving the rooms away!!

2 Thank 72Mary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stay at the Vermont on a regular basis, as the location is superb, i agree it needs updating but nothing drastic. The staff are always very pleasent and the food is superb. I must admit the breakfasts are not very good as they take ages to clear tables and to sit you down, but it still does not put me off as we are taking our staff there for a Xmas treat. They do try really hard to please you and I know how hard it can be, so we will be going back once a month as usual.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Just returned from a few days at the Vermont Hotel.(12-14 Nov 2012) On arrival staff were very welcoming and efficient. We were allocated Room 1001 had no view and was dark due to its location at the rear of the hotel right next to the railway so quite noisy when trains went by. The room was very clean and of a good standard although there was only one bedside table??? Shower very powerful and bathroom good size. The hotel's sauna and steam room were out of action which was a disappointment although they looked if they were in the process of getting renewed so fair enough. Location is excellent close to numerous bars, shops and restaurants. Breakfast average but good surroundings (half a black pudding???). Although they are many negative points mentioned I would still recommend this hotel but please ensure you ask for a room at the front. I am sure the steam room and sauna will be fixed soon.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are quieter and brighter.
falkirk
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Stayed for one night, a Monday.
When walking through the entrance on the 6th floor, the main entrance, was greeted by an empty desk and wasnt quite sure wher to go. When i found the reception desk, I had to wait a few minutes until the 2 girls at reception finished their conversation (this also happened when checking out the next day. Its only manners to acknowledge the guests when they are standing waiting on you). The one thing i noticed, was the lack of interest that they had, no information was given to me re breakfasts, wifi, services etc.
My room was clean, so no complaints there. The shower was excellent, very powerful. The decor is dated and needs refreshed. There were small parts of peeling paint and wallpaper, no big issue, but from the other 4* hotels I have stayed in I didnt expect this.
One small complaint is that there were no refreshments included - I suppose I must just be used to this in hotels now, so maybe its just me. The water was on the table, priced at £1.80 (bear in mind it wasnt even chilled), so I just grabbed extra when I was out.
Noise from the adjacent railway bridge was an issue as this started at 5am. Not the view I was expecting when I looked out the window, but I wasnt there for that.
All in all, it was a pleasant enough stay. I would rate this as 3* though, and not 4 based on the above

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Co Durham
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed with my wife at Vermont for one night on Saturday night. It is a beautiful building and is in a fantastic location with easy access on foot to the city centre and the Quayside and there is free parking.
The bedroom was fine but a little dated. There were some cracked tiles in bathroom and the wall support for assistance to get out of the bath was very loose. Didn't concern me but might worry someone who needed it. The TV was quite old and there was no Sky TV or Freesat which I would expect in a 4 star hotel. The room was clean with all the basic amenities but didn't have the "wow" factor that might be expected. The bar and lounge areas were lovely and very comfortable and relaxing. There is also free wi-if throughout the hotel.
Breakfast was a buffet which is fine but the choice was quite limited on hot and cold and there was no offer of any extras I.e. scrambled/poached eggs, kippers, porridge etc.
There was also no offer of porter service to help with luggage.
The staff here are very good and all the staff I encountered in the bar, restaurant and reception were very pleasant and helpful.
All in all, there is nothing to complain about at the Vermont but it just falls short of being a 4 start due to the lack of those little extras and the modest standard of the bedrooms.

County Durham
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My review is probably going to be a bit picky, however my expectations of a four star hotel and what it should deliver are quite high having stayed in some very good hotels.
On arrival there was no sign of valet parking or a concierge to help with our luggage from the car (as detailed on the website), the receptionist was very efficent and quick to check us in, as we were early and the room wasn't ready she said we could leave our luggage with the concierge (who was now back at his post).
When we did get our room key and went to collect our luggage, there was no offer of bringing it up to the room which is something I would expect, indeed every other four star hotel I have stayed at have actually delivered the luggage to the room in advance.
The room we had was 1014, the room is small as you would expect in a city centre hotel, there was a very large stain on the ceiling where a leak had obviously occured with no attempt to cover it up, the paper was peeling in places, the television old and the promised Sky channels were not working, the bedding old and bobbly, no bin liners in the bins, cracked tiles in the bathroom and the handle on the wall loose and not fit for purpose, the pipework exposed and not appealing when lay in the bath, no cotton wool, no robes and whilst the towels were large lacking in thickness. There was no ironing board or iron, I found this strange as I have stayed in three star hotels which supply these in every room, we did eventually get one after two phone calls to houskeeping. The decor is old fashioned but you can live with that if everything else is up to standard.
The bar and lounge area has been refurbished and is very tastefully inkeeping with the hotel style, the service was fantastic although I was disappointed that there was no champagne by the glass and the choice of brandy quite limited.
Breakfast was very disappointing, there was boxed cereals (think B&B), limited dried up fruit, cold croissants and when it came to the cooked breakfast there are no options, I personally expect of a four star, a choice of eggs, possibly fish ie kippers, and maybe even a veggie option. All of the food is served in Bain-Maries which just doesn't keep it hot enough, the sausages were barely cooked, the bacon fatty and the hash browns soggy.
Overall whilst the location, cleanliness and service is excellent, it just lacks the seamless finesse that a good four star hotel offers, it didn't spoil my weekend but it did just take a little of the shine off it.

1 Thank MrsSCountyDurham
Thornaby on Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Hotel looks really nice, a good locatation on the river. The town is easily walkable as is the metro radio arena.
Only down side we ordered room service and it took over an hour to arrive otherwise everything was fine.

• Stayed November 2012