“Great Location”
Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The hotel was clean but a bit dated. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We got there at 12.45 but could only check in on paper as room not ready till 2pm. It wasn't easy to find therefore ended up going round in circles a few times. Can't comment on the breakfast as we were room only. Great location for the shops and arena and would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed here 15-18th November my third visit in the space of a year and how disappointing it was this time. I was given room 1019 which was very close to the railway tracks which meant little sleep. The sink in my room was very poor to say the water trickled away slowly would be an understatement, some tiles were missing near the bath and some were different from Others.
The breakfast is self service and the presentation of the food was a shambles,eggs piled on top of each other,bacon barely cooked,hash browns mushy. The staff seemed incapable of replenishing food when it ran out. No alternatives were offered. At one point I saw 3 members of staff ask a couple it they wanted more toast which they did but by the time I left still no toast. It's a shame to see a nice hotel go downhill so much in the space of a year. Whoever rates these hotels needs to revisit and regrade certainley not worthy of 4 stars.

Room Tip: always ask for a room at the front of the hotel
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Due to attending a local concert, we decided to stay in Newcastle rather than travel back home late at night. From searching website for reduced hotels on the night in question I found a double room en suite at The Vermont Hotel on sale at £47. Knowing the hotel I knew we could not afford to stay on nonreduced prices so booked for the one night no breakfast option and we were not dissapointed. Of course we realised that we were not going to be given a top room with river view and we were not, but the room was very adequate for our needs. In fact the room was very large, clean and tidy. Had all the ameneties you want and without having to ask reception for eg hairdryer. The ensuite was large and supplied with the nice touch of shampoos, shower gel, flannel (proper towelling one too). Towels lovely and soft too. Bed comfortable, armchairs to relax in as well. It seemed a shamed in the end that we were only staying the one night. Reception staff on checking in and out were very professional and friendly. One comment to add, would be the concierge at the hotel. He was friendly, helpful and with a lovely sense of humour which is very nice to see when they must deal with a high volume of visitors all with different temperaments.
Would recommend a stay here, even if just for one night.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here with my partner on Saturday 17th November, as a special pre Christmas treat. This is not what I would consider a 4* Hotel. The room was drab the carpet dirty and the mattress was without doubt the lumpiest and most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. It was like a cast odd from bad lads army!!. The breakfast in the morning was self service and the presentation of the buffet resembled a road smash, the fried eggs were congealed, all thrown on top of each other with bust yolks....I certainly think someone had upset the chef!!, and the sausage and bacon looked under cooked and very unnappetising, we had no cups on our table and butters and jams had not been replenished and used plates were not removed....generally a very unsatisfactory overall standard. This was a Living Social Deal purchase, and I feel perhaps we may have been given a budget room but would still expect a certain standard which was clearly not met.I would not have paid the full price for this standard of accommodation. I would not return even if they were giving the rooms away!!

2  Thank 72Mary
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stay at the Vermont on a regular basis, as the location is superb, i agree it needs updating but nothing drastic. The staff are always very pleasent and the food is superb. I must admit the breakfasts are not very good as they take ages to clear tables and to sit you down, but it still does not put me off as we are taking our staff there for a Xmas treat. They do try really hard to please you and I know how hard it can be, so we will be going back once a month as usual.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Just returned from a few days at the Vermont Hotel.(12-14 Nov 2012) On arrival staff were very welcoming and efficient. We were allocated Room 1001 had no view and was dark due to its location at the rear of the hotel right next to the railway so quite noisy when trains went by. The room was very clean and of a good standard although there was only one bedside table??? Shower very powerful and bathroom good size. The hotel's sauna and steam room were out of action which was a disappointment although they looked if they were in the process of getting renewed so fair enough. Location is excellent close to numerous bars, shops and restaurants. Breakfast average but good surroundings (half a black pudding???). Although they are many negative points mentioned I would still recommend this hotel but please ensure you ask for a room at the front. I am sure the steam room and sauna will be fixed soon.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are quieter and brighter.
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Stayed for one night, a Monday.
When walking through the entrance on the 6th floor, the main entrance, was greeted by an empty desk and wasnt quite sure wher to go. When i found the reception desk, I had to wait a few minutes until the 2 girls at reception finished their conversation (this also happened when checking out the next day. Its only manners to acknowledge the guests when they are standing waiting on you). The one thing i noticed, was the lack of interest that they had, no information was given to me re breakfasts, wifi, services etc.
My room was clean, so no complaints there. The shower was excellent, very powerful. The decor is dated and needs refreshed. There were small parts of peeling paint and wallpaper, no big issue, but from the other 4* hotels I have stayed in I didnt expect this.
One small complaint is that there were no refreshments included - I suppose I must just be used to this in hotels now, so maybe its just me. The water was on the table, priced at £1.80 (bear in mind it wasnt even chilled), so I just grabbed extra when I was out.
Noise from the adjacent railway bridge was an issue as this started at 5am. Not the view I was expecting when I looked out the window, but I wasnt there for that.
All in all, it was a pleasant enough stay. I would rate this as 3* though, and not 4 based on the above

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo