“If you do one thing right do not stop here.”
Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed at the Vermont for a weekend break, was charged immediately for the room but noticed others paid on departure. Had a good night out down on the quayside which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Came back to the room and was kept awake until 3am, very loud music from bar/nightclub next door.
Went for breakfast the following morning and had to wait to be seated at a table as they couldn't clear them quick enough, food nothing special just average.
Not as good as it looks from the outside, but is in a central location.
Stayed at better hotels for less.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 816.
1  Thank stephanie N
SThanon, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not.
Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way. As part of the forthcoming improvement program a £3m investment will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect.
I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Have just returned from a five day GLENTON coach tour , & first time at this hotel , but would like to return again , lovely big room at the front , very comfortable , the only black mark would be the long wait for the evening meal , you do not expect to spend nearly two hours in the dining room & I am afraid that was what happened most nights , we never stayed for coffee the service was so slow , but very pleasant staff , mavbe once the BRIDGE RESTUARANT opens things might improve , which is stunning & almost finished , so management has to change things for this to still be a four star hotel , but will defenitely be back , so don't believe lots of the reviews for they are not true .

Room Tip: ask for a room looking on to the bridges , stunning view at night
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
SThanon, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, and for your kind comments. I am pleased to advise that The Bridge Restaurant is now open, and we have returned to a smother and more efficient dinner service following the recent disruption and refurbishment.
It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've stayed at The Vermont before and found it OK but the room rather dingy. However, it is so conveniently located for the railway station and other central points that I thought I'd give it another go.

On the upside, the newly refurbished reception area looks good and the staff throughout the hotel were friendly. It is also reasonably priced.

On arrival in my room, I recalled why I had been put off staying at the hotel previously. It was very dark - looking out onto a brick wall didn't help - and the furniture and decor were nondescript and a bit shabby. Overall, I found the room rather depressing and there was a real aroma of stale smoke which surprised me. The TV wasn't working - apparently ongoing improvement work had knocked out the satellite - so I was glad to be meeting some colleagues in the restaurant for dinner.

The restaurant was busy to start off with but emptied out quickly when a coach party left and there were just two tables filled. On that basis, we couldn't understand why it took nearly an hour for the food to arrive. The reasons given by staff for the delay were: we didn't order starters; the kitchen is three floors up; and there are a lot of room service orders. Hmm...

The food was quite good although the beetroot risotto off the a la carte menu was clearly the DBB menu's mushroom risotto with some beetroot juice added. When this was pointed out, the staff did have the good grace not to charge for that meal.

I have to say that the hotel redeemed itself later in that the bed was comfortable, the shower powerful (although please get rid of the shower curtain which floats towards you and sticks to you - I hate that!) and room service breakfast turned up bang on time and was good.

I suspect I will stay here again when I've tried other hotels in Newcastle and am lured back by the convenience of The Vermont. Hopefully, the ongoing refurbishment will put some of the problems right.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; as a company we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We recently spent the May Bank Holiday weekend in Newcastle and stayed at the Vermont Hotel. What a great hotel in a great location! We stayed for two nights with friends and would definetly make a return trip. If you are after a comfortable hotel, great service and with easy access to all Newcastle has to offer this is the Hotel for you.

The breakfast was really tasty and service great. The foyer and bar have recently been refurbished and with a relaxed vibe, it is a great place rnjoy some pre-dinner cocktails while listening to the resident piano player!

The rooms are comfortable, clean and have everything you could want while there. We are looking forward to makng a return trip already.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Can I take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful feedback that you left following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel.
Here at the Vermont we take feedback very seriously and with your help we are able to take the hotel forward in identifying what we areas we perform well in.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed at the hotel as part of a weekend coach trip. The hotel is very impressive, well situated and coped easily with our group of 44 adults. Our room was spotless, well equipped and very comfortable. The food for a party of 44 was excellent with three choices of each course.
The service throughout our stay was very good and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The only problem we had was with the lifts - they work independently of each other this caused some delays and lots of confusion!!!! In the scale of things this was a minor inconvenience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Can I take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful feedback that you left following your recent visit and on behalf of everyone here at The Vermont Hotel, we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We spent two nights at the Vermont recently. Its situated perfectly within the City Centre. The grand looking facia and being met with the concierge at the front door were pleasing. There has obviously been some money spent in the reception and lounge areas/bar. Public walkways pleasant on the eye also. however upon entering the room, it was clear that it has been neglected for some time. I can only vouch for our own room however I imagine it wont be alone! Tired looking décor, old tv. window sill crumbling outside. lumpy matress which I turned over in an attempt to get a better kip the next night. Had a bath, then could not drain the water as the plug mechanism had broken. Having to pump the toilet flusher 3 or 4 times before it would eventually flush! Stains on the lamp shades. On the morning of checkout there was a loud high pitched buzzer sounding in the room which I believe is the hotels way of making sure you are up and about in time for check out! which could be misconstrued as a Fire Alarm! My wife and I have stayed in a few hotels and never ones to complain as long as the place is clean and comfortable. The afore mentioned issues put a slight dampener our experience of what was generally a great visit to an interesting and friendly city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests. As part of the forthcoming improvement program a £3m investment will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed at the Vermont for just one night and I really wished we had booked for longer... It's a lovely hotel, beautiful and solid stone building, full of character and in a great location. We had a room on the 10th floor with a great view of the bridges, especially lovely at night. Our room had a living room with sofas, table and chairs in addition to the bedroom, the bed was very comfortable and it was really nice having the extra space even if it was just for one night. Our room rate was £80 and this included breakfast, we also had two dogs with us - no extra charge - and the wifi access was free! Check out time should be 12pm, which is pretty generous anyway but we were allowed to keep the room until 1pm, again no extra charge and staff were very helpful. I can't recommend this place enough, I loved it!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the bridges.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful feedback that you left following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel.
It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont soon.